taking out the dinnete - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Registry
taking out the dinnete

I like looking out the back of our Travelaire 5thwheel and started me thinking about taking out the dinnete in our bigfoot 5thwheel and puting in 2-swivel chairs for better veiwing out the back. Has any one done this? I will have to relocate the water tank,hot water heater,and power converter but we are in the middle of a compleat rebuild on the bigfoot so now is a good time. Has any one done this? pictures, comments or concerns welcome. Ken
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I'd like to see pictures of your rebuild. Swivel chairs make a lot of sense to my old back, and I'm surprised it's not an option today. I'd give up some storage for the comfort. One past Bigfoot interior did have two swivel chairs on one side, with a small table and a fold down couch to sleep one, on the other side. I'd considered removing the fold down couch on one side and installing a padded plastic swivel bucket designed for marine use on the couch platform (accessable storage from the exterior). Removing the four person table and replacing it with a half-size version greatly improved the room and accessability in the dinette area.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
One of the things I like about the Bigfoot 5th wheels is the variety of floor plans. I don't know if this is original, but it would not require moving as much stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Attach 01.jpg   Attach 02.jpg  

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
I'd like to see pictures of your rebuild. Swivel chairs make a lot of sense to my old back, and I'm surprised it's not an option today. I'd give up some storage for the comfort. One past Bigfoot interior did have two swivel chairs on one side, with a small table and a fold down couch to sleep one, on the other side. I'd considered removing the fold down couch on one side and installing a padded plastic swivel bucket designed for marine use on the couch platform (accessable storage from the exterior). Removing the four person table and replacing it with a half-size version greatly improved the room and accessability in the dinette area.
Cam A, I'm a snowbird & the bigfoot is my winter project. As soon as I get back south ill post pics I promise great Ideas thanks Ken
Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
One of the things I like about the Bigfoot 5th wheels is the variety of floor plans. I don't know if this is original, but it would not require moving as much stuff.

Dave great picks thanks, I think keeping something on the sides would give needed strength to the walls. Ken
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Years, I mean years ago my parents had a 25' stick built. My dad removed the front dinette and put in two wall hugging RV sized recliners. They used nice TV trays when dining. There was enough room between the two recliners for a tall skinny end table that held a lamp and a place for beverages.

I often think of the comfort those chairs provided when looking to buy my forever trailer... sigh.

Good luck on your endeavor Ken, I'm looking forward to what you come up with
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #7

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
. . . I'd considered removing the fold down couch on one side and installing a padded plastic swivel bucket designed for marine use on the couch platform (accessable storage from the exterior). Removing the four person table and replacing it with a half-size version greatly improved the room and accessability in the dinette area.
Our solution in the Burro was an unupholstered swiveling boat seat on each of the opposed lockers of the front dinette. Pads from Walmart and actually more comfortable than padded seats from the marine store. Not quite as fancy as the capt'n's chairs in a side dinette, but believe me, a lot more comfortable than trying to prop yourself away from the back cushion on a dual-purpose cushioned bench. Although we replaced the dinette table, we were able to preserve the original dimensions (30"X31") which is considerably wider and longer than what you see in most side dinettes (including the 45K$ Oliver currently in the for sale area). If I had started trailer camping when I was younger, perhaps I would accept the "does everything but nothing comfortably" compromises of small trailers. At 60+, I no longer have the urge to either hike or sit x-legged in a tent on a rainy day. I'm not so much for all the House & Garden bushwah trimmings that infect trailer "upgrading" but I do like to be able to get up from where I last sat down.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Ken we are pondering the layout of the rear of our 5th too. On of the things we are considering is a L shaped couch/dinette with a counter on the other side for a workspace and desk. Something like what David posted but different.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Ken we are pondering the layout of the rear of our 5th too. On of the things we are considering is a L shaped couch/dinette with a counter on the other side for a workspace and desk. Something like what David posted but different.

Lizbeth, that sounds like another great idea. My DW and I both are on our laptops at the same time so we were thinking some kind of fold up tables on each side of our recliners Im trying to figure out how much we still
need conected to the walls for support, I'm thinking if you take it all out like I first thought of doing the walls may start flexing but not sure.
Ken
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #10

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Our solution in the Burro was an unupholstered swiveling boat seat on each of the opposed lockers of the front dinette. Pads from Walmart and actually more comfortable than padded seats from the marine store. Not quite as fancy as the capt'n's chairs in a side dinette, but believe me, a lot more comfortable than trying to prop yourself away from the back cushion on a dual-purpose cushioned bench. Although we replaced the dinette table, we were able to preserve the original dimensions (30"X31") which is considerably wider and longer than what you see in most side dinettes (including the 45K$ Oliver currently in the for sale area). If I had started trailer camping when I was younger, perhaps I would accept the "does everything but nothing comfortably" compromises of small trailers. At 60+, I no longer have the urge to either hike or sit x-legged in a tent on a rainy day. I'm not so much for all the House & Garden bushwah trimmings that infect trailer "upgrading" but I do like to be able to get up from where I last sat down.

jack

Hi Jack, any chance you could share a picture of your seats in your burro?
thanks Ken
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #11

Delaware
Ken, I went thru four memory cards tonite and can't find a foto which was meant to show the seats and dinette table. I'm certain I deleted some in a pinch without saving to an album or memory stick. I will take one and post.

jack
Old 09-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #12

Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Ken, I went thru four memory cards tonite and can't find a foto which was meant to show the seats and dinette table. I'm certain I deleted some in a pinch without saving to an album or memory stick. I will take one and post.

jack
Jack, Thankyou I did not intend that you have to go through all of that. I'm
trying to have a good idea of what i'm going to do before I fly south and get back to work on my BigFoot. thanks again Ken
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #13

Delaware
It's no burden; frustrated by chronic disorganization. The Bigfoot 5er is quite a different animal so you probably won't benefit greatly from seeing the "cheap seats" in the Burro dinette but for whatever it's worth, I'll have a foto up tomorrow.

jack
Old 09-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #14

Delaware
Found one archived in a old thread:

Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #15

Alaska
Registry
Jack, that looks good , I think ours will be something useing all the idea's ive found so far I know believe that relocating the water tank & hot water heater may not be necessary. Thankyou for going the extra for me. Ken