Tall clearance tires possible - which models? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Tall clearance tires possible - which models?

So am looking for which models have the best clearance possible, given minimal modifications. My truck already has 19 inch tires. so would think that I could get a fiberglass TT that has at least 15 inch tires. So which models have that?

Will do a search here and elseware on the internet, but would sure like to know what to look for in a used TT that can handle the bigger tires.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:44 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Escapes have 15's, if you were to buy new you ask for the high lift (flipped) axle option. While I've not looked into it, I would think you could have it done after the fact on used too.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oliver, Escape, Bigfoot, Casita.

Tires are only one issue when it comes to clearance. There's items that hang below the body: plumbing and tanks.

Although Scamp doesn't put 15" tires on the trailer, I have 15" tires on my Scamp because I changed the axle to a 45 degree down. So it's possible to put taller tires on any trailer, if the axle is changed (or spacers are added) and the wheel well can accommodate a larger tire.

You may hear words like "high-lift axle." Often that is blocking between the frame and the axle and is only lifting the body. The axle tube stays at the same height. So "clearance," ... the clear space, is not completely changed.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oliver, Escape, Bigfoot, Casita.

Tires are only one issue when it comes to clearance. There's items that hang below the body: plumbing and tanks.

Although Scamp doesn't put 15" tires on the trailer, I have 15" tires on my Scamp because I changed the axle to a 45 degree down. So it's possible to put taller tires on any trailer, if the axle is changed (or spacers are added) and the wheel well can accommodate a larger tire.

You may hear words like "high-lift axle." Often that is blocking between the frame and the axle and is only lifting the body. The axle tube stays at the same height. So "clearance," ... the clear space, is not completely changed.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?
how is clearance not changed? you put fifteen inch tires on a former thirteen inch axle, and the clearance is up two inches. The axle is raised two inches because of the tire size being taller. Am confused by your comment. sure if you kept the same size tires and lifted the body off the axles you get the same clearance, but we are saying you are getting taller tires.

getting taller tires is the only thing that gets you true clearance as the axles are now that much more distance from the ground.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
how is clearance not changed? you put fifteen inch tires on a former thirteen inch axle, and the clearance is up two inches. The axle is raised two inches because of the tire size being taller. Am confused by your comment. sure if you kept the same size tires and lifted the body off the axles you get the same clearance, but we are saying you are getting taller tires.

getting taller tires is the only thing that gets you true clearance as the axles are now that much more distance from the ground.
I didn't say you wouldn't get more clearance by changing the tire size. I didn't address that at all.

And you're incorrect. Changing the down axle degree on a torsion axle lifts the entire trailer. Including the axle tube.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
What is the actual size of your 19" tires? The width and profile as well as wheel size determine the overall diameter of the tire.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
how is clearance not changed? you put fifteen inch tires on a former thirteen inch axle, and the clearance is up two inches. The axle is raised two inches because of the tire size being taller.
The results will be based on the tires' rolling diameters, but will only be about half of the change in size.

Imagine the tires were steel (no flattening when the trailer weight is on them) with respective outside diameters of 15" and 13":

(15"-13")=2" change in diameter

2"/2=1" change in radius = total change in height

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
The results will be based on the tires' rolling diameters, but will only be about half of the change in size.

Imagine the tires were steel (no flattening when the trailer weight is on them) with respective outside diameters of 15" and 13":

Correct. The biggest indicator in tire height is the tire profile... or sidewall height. Remember low-profile tires?

Tire Width is the width of the tire measured in millimeters from sidewall to sidewall. The first three-digit number in the tire size refers to the tire width. For instance, in a size LT215/65 R15 tire, the width is 215 millimeters.

Aspect Ratio (profile) is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size LT215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the taller the tire's sidewall will be.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:

Profile(aspect ratio) is stated in percentage of section width so,while what you say is true of wheel diameter, it does not express overall diameter, which is expressed by the combination of all three numbers.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #10

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Profile(aspect ratio) is stated in percentage of section width so,while what you say is true of wheel diameter, it does not express overall diameter, which is expressed by the combination of all three numbers.
Yes, what with aspect ratios, sidewall stiffness, rubber tires' rolling diameters changing with temperature, pressure, and even transient loads such as when you roll over a bump or the trailer leans to one side on a curve, it's obviously much more complicated than my simplified example with imaginary steel tires.

The basic point is that it's like the opposite of the weekend white sale. In this case, you buy two and you only get one!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Yes, what with aspect ratios, sidewall stiffness, rubber tires' rolling diameters changing with temperature, pressure, and even transient loads such as when you roll over a bump or the trailer leans to one side on a curve, it's obviously much more complicated than my simplified example with imaginary steel tires.

The basic point is that it's like the opposite of the weekend white sale. In this case, you buy two and you only get one!
I agree with your point, you only get radius, not diameter.
Also in addition to your point, it should be noted that for example...
a 235/75R15 is 2" TALLER than a 235/40R19
Old 03-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #12

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I agree with your point, you only get radius, not diameter.
Also in addition to your point, it should be noted that for example...
a 235/75R15 is 2" TALLER than a 235/40R19
...or, downsize the wheel 4-inches and gain two!

That's a great point, but now my head hurts...

Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #13

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Now that the geometry has been explained and you are looking at one inch (more or less) rather than two, that doesn't mean it would not be useful to increase the tire size. Bigger is better with tires, as you often have choices of higher load range. As has been mentioned, there is generally stuff hanging below the axle. I think I've seen skid plates for drain pipes, for instance.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #14

South Carolina

So to summarize. There are a few ways to increase clearance. Diameter of wheel. Diameter of tire. Angle of torsion axle. Lift the body.

Else put skid plates on all low hanging parts.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #15

South Carolina

Also know with wide tall tires you can drop the pressure to 15 to 20 pounds and get yourself some good improved traction. Just don't pop that bead.

Besides the Escape what other models have the taller tires?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #16

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Also know with wide tall tires you can drop the pressure to 15 to 20 pounds and get yourself some good improved traction. Just don't pop that bead.

I don't think you need to worry about traction with your trailer, it will go where pulled. As mentioned in post #3, Escape, Oliver, Bigfoot and Casita all are now available with 15 inch tires. Older models may or may not.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
When I bought my used '96 FD Casita it had 14" wheels and was VERY low to the ground. It was so low I was afraid it would drag anyplace it was not almost perfectly level. I ordered a new 20 degree down start axle from Dexter, had the old one cut off and new one bolted on. I then upgraded to 15" wheels and now I have a full 12" clearance on the lowest part of the undercarriage. We love to go on dirt / gravel roads and have never drug the bottom since then.
Don in UT

I attempted to post a pic of my high clearance Casita - without success.
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #18

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Quote:

New Olivers now come with 16″ Aluminum Rims with Nitrogen filled Michelin LTX M/S2 225/75/16 Tires. There are no low hanging plumbing items dangling below the floor of the trailer. However, the double step on the right hand side has a clearance of 14.5" The remainder of my trailer's floor bottom sits 20" above the surface. This aids with parking sometimes if you need the back end of the trailer to clear a boulder or log, but as Donna D said, you must factor in the axle height off the ground, which is likely similar to your tow vehicle's axles.

I find the benefit of my spring over axle suspension and 16" wheels to be found in navigating the occasional radical dip in the road. I never fear dragging the rear end in my 18" Elite I. Also, while getting on a ferry in Nova Scotia that had a severe departure angle to the ramp, it was a breeze. (The sun blocking Class A behind me had to turn around and go the long way)
Attached Thumbnails
Ollie Clearance.jpg  
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Escape 17B with high lift and 15" wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 04:24 AM   #20

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My Escape 17B with high lift and 15" wheels.

So two wheel escape. Not four wheel. Got it.

Tags
tires