Tankless, Ventless Hot Water in Boler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I worry a lot abut that with my barbecue grill with the LP tank right below the burners with the open flame.
The heater does not operate unless there is water flow and there is also an on - off switch and then the on - off valve on the LP tank as well.
Since the heater automatically lights reliably and the only LP fueled device on my camper is the water heater it is not too much of a burden to turn on and off the LP gas when I Park. I can't say for sure since I am just building the trailer, but I bet it will be OK.
I haven't looked, but are those ovens DOT approved too? How about the small catalytic heaters?
This might be an issue for someone with a LP refrigerator that wants to keep the burners on while underway, but there is no LP within my trailer. All electric except for that water heater. These don't use much gas and I was tempted to use throw away 1 lb. bottles instead of the 20 lb tank.
The plumbing is all PEX 1/2" by the way with Sharkbite fittings and crimps.
Also these heaters are the primary way most of the rest of the world heats water. This is why they are so inexpensive and available.
As to installing inside the problem is not so much the vent (which is a problem unless powered low temp), but rather tin incoming combustion air. There are larger units that have a coaxial vent that feeds combustion air from outside and exhausts the fuels as well. These are more expensive and I think a little overkill.
I think the way I did it is a good compromise with no combustion inside and no LP gas lines either.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Actually I don't worry about my BBQ because a) there is a metal firewall between the burner and the tanks, b) the smell of an LP leak could be quickly detected because the user is in the immediate vicinity and c) the components in a BBQ system are being used in a manner for which they were designed. No comparison there.....

Old 09-10-2015, 07:43 PM   #17

Florida
Since LPGA gas is heavier than air and sinks towards the ground I see no problem either way. This is why the barbecue is safe anyway. The firewall you mention is full of holes

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 09-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Since LPGA gas is heavier than air and sinks towards the ground I see no problem either way. This is why the barbecue is safe anyway. The firewall you mention is full of holes

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
My BBQ's are 1200+ miles away so I went out and looked at a BBQ that was burned up in the fires in the house above Judith's and it has a solid metal floor below the burners. Didn't think that they wanted cooking greases dripping down on the LP tank.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #19

Florida
I have been looking for reference to DOT certified LP appliances for RVs without success.
Bob since you are the expert perhaps you could give us some reference sites to the certification of LP appliances in regards to DOT certification?
I know that the tanks must meet the DOT certifications, but I fail to find the references to those pesky consumers of the gas. The Fastar unit is CE approved, but lacking in that DOT approval. The Attwood is also CE approved, but I can find no mention of any DOT approval on their website. It must be some oversight on their part.
Bob I think you are generating DOT (other than the tank) requirements out of pretty thin air.
The hazards of LP is the reason there is none inside my camper. Back in the day ther LP gas detectors were not readily available and I worried about the kids sleeping on pallets down low and for this reason I tended to not use the propane.
Our "new" Scamp rebuild has no gas internally and has a swing compressor refrigerator , Heat pump with backup strip heat, and the external water heater for this reason. I was going all electric, but the electric tankless draw a lot of power and are not very satisfactory in controlling the temp. I do have more weight than I had hoped involved with this part of the project and I may switch to smaller 1 lb bottles excepat SHe Who Must Be Obeyed want to add a grill for outdoor cooking when she wants. There is no indoor stove (see above). We will have an electric skillet and microwave convection oven.
While the weight is a little higher than I want it also does not have 6 gallon of water trapped in the tank all the time and this is 48 lbs added to the trailer. While you have the 6 gallons you still cannot easily count is as storage since to use it the water has to come from the fresh water tank anyway. Since a full LP tank weighs about 37 lbs that removes some of the penalty for the LP tank and heater.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #20

California
[QUOTE=redbarron55;547613]I have been looking for reference to DOT certified LP appliances for RVs without success.
Bob since you are the expert perhaps you could give us some reference sites to the certification of LP appliances in regards to DOT certification?
I know that the tanks must meet the DOT certifications, but I fail to find the references to those pesky consumers of the gas. The Fastar unit is CE approved, but lacking in that DOT approval. The Attwood is also CE approved, but I can find no mention of any DOT approval on their website. It must be some oversight on their part.
Bob I think you are generating DOT (other than the tank) requirements out of pretty thin air. (clip)

Nope, not me. The only time that DOT appeared in my posts was in a quote from a Camping World advertisement.

I contacted Eccotemp about that question and they don't seem to have an answer either. In as much as Camping World started that, maybe you should ask them for a reference. It's still a mystery to me. Here is my email to Eccotemp and their reply.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
robert miller, Sep 10, 10:37 AM:
Good Morning
I am looking for a water heater for my RV.
Camping World is offering your EccoTemp FVI12-LP 3.4 GPM LP Indoor Forced Vent Tankless Water Heater, but warns that it is not DOT approved and must be disconnected unless parked.
Can you provide me with a reference to that DOT regulation so I can understand what is required.
Many Thanks
Bob Miller
Chelan, WA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KP, Sep 10, 11:04 AM:
Hello Mr. Miller,
Thank you for contacting Eccotemp Systems, LLC. In regards to your product inquiry regarding the FVI12-LP, we did not unfortunately participate in any 3rd party approvals on this models, however, this heater is approved for use on RV/Boats/Campers as long as the structure/home the heater is installed in is stationary, and NOT in motion when this heater is in operation. We hope this helps, please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and we'll be happy to assist you from there. Thanks and have a great day.

***Please note that this ticket is automatically closed when we reply to you, however if you simply respond back to the ticket, it will immediately be placed back into open status for review.***

We appreciate and value your business,
Warmest Regards,
Kristin
Technical Support Team
Eccotemp Systems, LLC
tech@eccotemp.com
www.eccotemp.com

__________________________________________________ ________

But, as mentioned, my interest in adapting residential LP water heaters to RV use is peripheral only, as I have a strong belief in having a safe and full functioning FGRV for boondocking, as well as Resort like use, using tried and proven methods.....LOL

Tags
boler