Tankless water heater - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #41

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Doesn't the Oliver have an indoor shower for winter use?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #42

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I purchased a Coleman unit with a pump, and city water inlet. I have not tried it yet, and they don't publish and btu spec. This and the outhouse tent are my plans for camp site shower / potty. I have my doubts, the tent looks too complex, and the heater has very low pressure. We will see.
Attached Images

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #43

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Doesn't the Oliver have an indoor shower for winter use?
Yes, it does. And it gets used, too, when the weather is too cold for outdoor showers.
The outdoor shower, with unlimited spring water and the instant hot water heater/shower combo, is a wonderful addition to our summer campsite, especially when we have tent campers with us.
I think the issue we're discussing here is instantaneous propane hot water heaters. My experience is with the EcoTemp outdoor model, for long term boondocking, has been excellent.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #44

Trailer: 79 13 ft Scamp and 74 Compact II
Tankless Water heater

I purchased a ventless propane tankless water heater made by Excel America a few years ago. I installed in my vintage trailer and it works great. YOu just have to have it well below the counter that you install it under. My husband put a heatshield on it anyway, although it didn't require it. It is only hot while the water is running. You might see if you can find them online. ExcelAmerica the price was right at 300.00 and it included the shipping. It has the safety oxygen sensor on it and the igniter works off of two D cell batteries. I love it!
Cindy Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #45

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Ross View Post
I purchased a ventless propane tankless water heater made by Excel America a few years ago. I installed in my vintage trailer and it works great. YOu just have to have it well below the counter that you install it under. My husband put a heatshield on it anyway, although it didn't require it. It is only hot while the water is running. You might see if you can find them online. ExcelAmerica the price was right at 300.00 and it included the shipping. It has the safety oxygen sensor on it and the igniter works off of two D cell batteries. I love it!

For your safety, NEVER try to clean the pilot orifice on ANY vent-free gas equipment. The pilot IS the safety and any changes to it will eliminate your safety. If you have a problem, you need to replace the entire pilot assembly with another supplied by the manufacturer.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #46

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I think that the urn idea is brilliant. I don't have enough kitchen counter to dedicate to one, though. I wish there was a small simple 'on demand' type of heater. I'll just keep using my electric tea kettle, I guess.
Pam Garlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #47

Name: Christine
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
Registry
Thinking about mounting this one in the bath. I have a 110V to plug it into. I would have route water to the shower or tap into the water going to the bathroom already. What do you guys think about this one?
Attached Thumbnails
tankless shower.jpg  
Lowpaidnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #48

Pennsylvania
Registry
It uses 23 amps, so you may have to make sure everything else is off while using. Otherwise it should work.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #49

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Can I ask opinions on an idea I have been kicking around? What about putting an on demand water heater either before or after a RV water heater?

On idea is to have a small tank less before the RV water heater to pre-heat cold incoming water. That way the RV water heater won't have to work so hard and can keep up with someone having a shower. Of the several times we tried the shower, a Navy shower was still not short enough.

The other possible idea is to have the tank less after the RV water heater. That way when the hot water had been used up and only luke warm water comes out, the tank less could boost the temperature up to a comfortable level.

The first idea seems to need the tank less heater to run pretty much all of the time that hot water is being used. The second idea seems to limit the tank less use to only after hot water in the RV water heater had been consumed.

Both ideas are working on the assumption of using a tank less water heater that is not large enough to heat the water fully on it's own. It works to aid the existing system without replacing it. This also limits the cost involved because the sizing of the tank less water heater.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #50

Pennsylvania
Registry
Not sure it will work with tankless. I have one of the only being installed right now in rv's, a Girard model. What you do is turn only the hot water on and adjust the temperature with the flow, little flow is hot, more flow is less hot. The premiss is based upon the water temperature. If you preheat the water then it will defeat the purpose.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #51

Name: David
Trailer: 1984 Minnie Winnie
CA
On demand water heater

Chonomite does manufacture heaters in 15 amp that give 35 degree temperature rise from inlet temp. If you are interested you can contact me at d.wilson@morrisgroup.co (it is .co not .com). We are the manufacturer.
daverw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #52

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I have a similar water heater from the same manufacturer and went with the 20amp unit. It works fine and heats up the water nicely, but do not expect a steaming hot gushing flow. Not out of a 120vac unit at least.

It warms up the water and is pleasant for washing... The plumbing is a bit of a trick but I figured it out so we have warm and cold running water. I also chose to place the unit on a 20amp switch and fuse.

I thought the 30amp unit would push the boundaries on my system too far.

I find mine to be reliable and well built. Use a water pressure reducer at the inlet to help prevent leaks.
Attached Images

Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #53

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
I happened to find this unused Bosch water heater that I was going to put in for times when I have hookups, running it directly from the water hookup. It has a 15 amp plug. Can this be done if it is the only power draw when in use?

Technical Details
Part NumberES2.5 Tronic 3000 T Item Weight7 Kg Product Dimensions35.6 x 27.3 x 35.6 cm Item model numberES2.5 Voltage120 volts Wattage1440 watts
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #54

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I purchased a Fastair propane unit on eBay for under $100 including shipping, I think I paid around $80. It works great
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #55

Registry
I have the 20amp 120v version of that water heater installed. It works well at making warm water at a camp ground. Nice for washing hands/face and doing dishes. It helps to have a faucet that controls the flow.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #56

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have a really neat tankless water heater. It's a 1940 version. In it's hayday it was called a coffee pot. Work great, no maintenance, was free since my wife inherited from her parents. I figure it will work just fine for the next 100 years.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I have a really neat tankless water heater. It's a 1940 version. In it's hayday it was called a coffee pot. Work great, no maintenance, was free since my wife inherited from her parents. I figure it will work just fine for the next 100 years.
Nice. Yes that should work.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #58

Name: Heidi
Trailer: Scamp 16' layout 6 with 02 Dodge Dakota 4WD Quad Cab
Colorado
Quote:
Me, too, Byron! One of the BEST ideas, I think. Mine was a $3.99 thrift store find, a 36-cup percolator that heats up in under 5 minutes. Quick wash-ups after meals and
1 pot of hot H20 + 1 equal of cold + a large Rubbermaid tub makes for a good human standing bath or bathtub for the small doggies after a day of hiking and wading through streams. Simply Luxurious!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #59

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi in Colorado View Post
Me, too, Byron! One of the BEST ideas, I think. Mine was a $3.99 thrift store find, a 36-cup percolator that heats up in under 5 minutes. Quick wash-ups after meals and
1 pot of hot H20 + 1 equal of cold + a large Rubbermaid tub makes for a good human standing bath or bathtub for the small doggies after a day of hiking and wading through streams. Simply Luxurious!
Well Heidi (and Byron), some of the best ideas are the simplest and this a great idea.
Thanks for sharing it.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #60

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
I have a really neat tankless water heater. It's a 1940 version. In it's heyday it was called a coffee pot.
Um, that's not 'tankless'. The water is heated in a 'tank' or container. Just a smaller one.