Tarp Awning - Fiberglass-safe Fluid for Enhancing Suction Cups - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #21

Name: Handley
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I use a tarp awning. I put a hook ( the kind with removable tape ) right next to the rivet on the rear top left corner, so it is also supported by the rivet cap. A rope goes to the rear corner of the tarp, and then down to the rear bumper. In front a rope goes from the top left corner of the window cover to the front corner of the tarp and then down to the frame. The loops for the rear rope are permanent, and in front there is only one taughtline hitch knot to tie. The outer corners are supported by poles and ropes to stakes. It take only a couple minutes to set up, and cost nearly nothing.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #22

Name: James
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New Jersey
Ellpea,

You are correct in what you are seeing. It is one half of the harbor freight double suction cup. In the nook where the suction cup fastening latch sits, the individual screwed a PVC pipe cape and made a "receiver" for the end of the tent pole to sit on the trailer's side. This provides a solution for locations where tent stakes can't be used. The guy lines can then be tied off to the trailer.

For the record, I found that picture online when trying to see if someone had implemented that idea.
junglejim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #23

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejim83 View Post
Ellpea,

You are correct in what you are seeing. It is one half of the harbor freight double suction cup. In the nook where the suction cup fastening latch sits, the individual screwed a PVC pipe cape and made a "receiver" for the end of the tent pole to sit on the trailer's side. This provides a solution for locations where tent stakes can't be used. The guy lines can then be tied off to the trailer.

For the record, I found that picture online when trying to see if someone had implemented that idea.
James, have you tried this yourself? I googled the image and did not find anything except a reference to hardware stores!

So I just now searched "Harbor Freight Double Suction cup" and got their "suction cup lifter" which has two cups and a handle connecting them. Is it your understanding the handle was removed? Cut off?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #24

New Jersey
yes, I believe the handle was cut off. If you saw vertically along the inside of the suction cup support through the handle it will look like what you see in the pictures. For those following the thread here is a link to the scutions cups. http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-cu...ter-46134.html

I have not done this yet but the suction cups have serious hold and i think the single cup would be fine.

If I have the chance to stop by the hardware store and pick up the right diameter PCV cap I will post some pictures. But here is where I stumbled upon the idea Drilling holes for awning pole mounts

The one thing I may try to do differently is, pilot a whole through the cap and fasten it with a single nut and bolt straight through the suction cup post and the cap; in the attached link, the individual used two wood screws, one from each side.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #25

CA
Quote:
yes, I believe the handle was cut off. If you saw vertically along the inside of the suction cup support through the handle it will look like what you see in the pictures. For those following the thread here is a link to the scutions cups. Suction Cup Lifter - Dual Cup Suction Cup Lifter

I have not done this yet but the suction cups have serious hold and i think the single cup would be fine.

If I have the chance to stop by the hardware store and pick up the right diameter PCV cap I will post some pictures. But here is where I stumbled upon the idea Drilling holes for awning pole mounts

The one thing I may try to do differently is, pilot a whole through the cap and fasten it with a single nut and bolt straight through the suction cup post and the cap; in the attached link, the individual used two wood screws, one from each side.
James, thank you for this link Amazing. Can't wait to try it. In the meantime, I'm also not happy with any options for mounting the TOP part of the awning above the window. I had tried another suggestion from a different thread... using command hooks.

I purchased regular shade cloth from the hardware store, and wooden dowels to use as rods. The plan was to hang the rods on command hooks, and then brace the shade out with *some* technique I hadn't yet figured out (yay HF suction cups!).

(As another quick aside, new fancy schmancy sewing machines, of which I have several, were very confused by this rubber-like "cloth." However, my White treadle sewing machine stepped right up to the job and sewed it like a dream.)

But in spite of others' experiences, the command hooks did not work for me. One came loose very quickly in direct sunlight. The other is still there but I haven't used it since (so, no stress or weight). So I have all of these dowels and the sewed awning material... but as yet, no joy.

Still working on it!

Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #26

New Jersey
another thing that might work well for mounting above the windows is using the suction cups horizontally and if you need more width for the attachment points (than the flat suction friendly surfaces will allow) you can insert a dowel or broom handle into the suction cup handle and then use a string or carabiner to attache to the handle extension.

It worked well for me as a was doing the makeshift tarp awning which was just a little long on the dimensions for my trailer. Just make sure you have a good suction spot b/c this will create more leverage on the suction cups.

Another thing I heard about these suction cups, is check the rubber on the cups before purchasing. From reading the reviews on HF, it sounds like every once in a while there is a cup with a bad mold that inhibits proper suction. There is enough flat metal or glass at a HF you should be able to check that they are up to snuff. I didn't see any with this issue when I was there.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #27

New Jersey
One thing that might work well for mounting above the windows is using the suction cups horizontally and if you need more width for the attachment points (than the flat suction cup friendly surfaces will allow) you can insert a dowel or broom handle into the suction cup handle and then use a string or carabiner to attache to the handle extension.

It worked well for me as a was doing the makeshift tarp awning which was just a little long on the dimensions for my trailer. Just make sure you have a good suction spot b/c this will create more leverage on the suction cups.

Another thing I heard about these suction cups, is check the rubber on the cups before purchasing. From reading the reviews on HF, it sounds like every once in a while there is a cup with a bad mold that inhibits proper suction. There is enough flat metal or glass at a HF you should be able to check that they are up to snuff. I didn't see any with this issue when I was there.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #28

CA
Quote:
One thing that might work well for mounting above the windows is using the suction cups horizontally and if you need more width for the attachment points (than the flat suction cup friendly surfaces will allow) you can insert a dowel or broom handle into the suction cup handle and then use a string or carabiner to attache to the handle extension.

James, I did try several suction cups up at the top, in several different locations. I was never able to get a secure "suction," and tried every strategy (DW liquid, cleaning surface first) I could find. I finally decided it was the overall roundness of my egg that made it hard. Am hoping that the side of the trailer might have some flatter areas.

That said, I was doing this in the direct sun and it was really hot. Maybe I gave up too soon... so will try again!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #29

New Jersey
Have you tried individual suction cups at the 'rounded' locations? Maybe it is the extended straight length of the dual cups which is not allowing either cup to follow the contour of the roof and adhere? Also, how smooth is your roof compared to the sides. Maybe a scrub down with barkeepers friend might get you there if it is a little weathered?

I am not doubting that the rounded contours of your trailer might make things more challenging (if possible at all), I am just trying to think of an alternate solution.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #30

CA
Quote:
Have you tried individual suction cups at the 'rounded' locations? Maybe it is the extended straight length of the dual cups which is not allowing either cup to follow the contour of the roof and adhere? Also, how smooth is your roof compared to the sides. Maybe a scrub down with barkeepers friend might get you there if it is a little weathered?

I am not doubting that the rounded contours of your trailer might make things more challenging (if possible at all), I am just trying to think of an alternate solution.
Jim, I haven't tried dual cups... these have all been heavy duty individual cups. I ordered several different kinds from Amazon (have quite a collection now). The roof is REALLY round. You can get an idea by looking at the roof:
[IMG][/IMG]

I DID clean it, and also scrubbed the area (as instructions recommended somewhere) with alcohol. Also dampened/wet the suction cup, and tried soap also. They really would not adhere. I did not try barkeeper's friend, and the trailer has since been really polished by the DH with his orbital thing, so maybe I'll have better luck now.

It's also possible that these HF cups are much more industrial than what I was finding elsewhere, so I have hope! Also, I think the sides are much flatter than the roof, so it's possible I can use these to brace awning poles, even if they don't work up top.

Tags
awning