Tarp Awning - Fiberglass-safe Fluid for Enhancing Suction Cups - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 06:14 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New Jersey
Tarp Awning - Fiberglass-safe Fluid for Enhancing Suction Cups

Ok, so the title is long but I think it makes sense.

In a nut shell, I am using heavy duty suction cups as to anchor a tarp awning to the top of my Compact II. The whole camper is due for a scrubbing but I cleaned/polished the areas where the suction cups will adhere with barkeeper's. It is now smooth, as opposed to chalky, and the suction cups held great after cleaning it. It was wet when I tested them and I know some recommend using silicone or petroleum jelly to maintain a good seal when using these suction cups on glass panels, metal or tile.

I will just use water to maximize the suction if it seems that any other fluid will stain or degrade the gel coat and fiber glass. But it would be good to have something that wont dry up to make sure adhesion is maintained.

What do you all suggest?

I will post picture of the set up after the weekend trip (assuming amazon doesn't delay delivery of my extending poles again).
junglejim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #2

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Try rubbing just a little dish soap or shampoo on the suction cups and let them sit for a little while before putting a load on them.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I used a medium duty suction cup on the fiberglass (gelcoat) for a light duty clothesline and it quickly left a mark that was quite hard to remove. So I gave up on the idea.

Then I used the same suction cup on the Plexiglas window to mount a small camera. It left a mark that was hard to remove (again). So I gave up on that idea also.

It seems that the rubber on my suction cup was soft and while that helped it work well, it leaves marks. YMMV and I hope you have better luck than I did.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I use hand sanitizer.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:39 PM   #5

Name: Nancy & Dan
Michigan
So I'm going to jump right into this conversation. I've been wanting to put up a awning on our Casita, but my husband doesn't want to put any holes in the fiberglass, and I agree. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with an idea that will work without drilling. I kept coming back to heavy duty Velcro, never thought of suction cups! Will the suction cups really work? Are they heavy enough to hold a mid weight cotton in place?? Any help would be appreciated!
Nancy from MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Handy little items

https://www.amazon.com/Suction-Sucke...e+suction+cups
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy from MI View Post
So I'm going to jump right into this conversation. I've been wanting to put up a awning on our Casita, but my husband doesn't want to put any holes in the fiberglass, and I agree. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with an idea that will work without drilling. I kept coming back to heavy duty Velcro, never thought of suction cups! Will the suction cups really work? Are they heavy enough to hold a mid weight cotton in place?? Any help would be appreciated!
These folks have the awning rope and mounting rails. Mounts with VHB tape:

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

# 100380 is the mounting rail I use.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #8

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
My rope and pole awning is held on with only VHB tape - NO HOLES is my motto - so far so good...
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_1210.JPG   SAM_1195.JPG  

379.JPG  
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #9

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
Your "Cozy Casa" looks like the real thing!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
Those are the ones that left the stubborn marks on my gelcoat.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #11

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I have cleaned hard to get off marks with a $2 can of carb cleaner from the auto parts store. Just a quick spritz and then quick rub with a paper towel.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
My rope and pole awning is held on with only VHB tape - NO HOLES is my motto - so far so good...
Hey, don't drill holes has been my biz motto and on my license plate frames and truck signs for over 10 years!!!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:56 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
My awning attaches with suction cups from busdepot.com as does my awning. The main thing is locating a flat spot for attachment. This can be problematic with a trailer like my casita with all it's subtle curves. I clean the chosen spot with rubbing alcohol and spritz the rubber of the suction cup with a product that has the unfortunate name of "suck a lot" (available on Amazon). It's sold as an aid for attaching a gps and such to windshields. I suspect that it's simply a watered solution of glycerin which also works well and is available from any drug/grocery store. I've not noticed any lasting residue.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #14

New Jersey
I used the dual suction cups from harbor freight and they held great using just water. There was a thunderstorm and pretty stong wind (20-30 mph gusts) and the held great.

Also, there was no marking.

Suction Cup Lifter - Dual Cup Suction Cup Lifter

I like the VHB tape and track, I might try that when I do window awnings.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #15

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I don't want to drill holes either, and though that suction cups would be my fasteners of choice. I've bought three different brands of heavy duty items, and have had no luck getting them to stick. We definitely clean the area, I've added various stuffs to the cups to help them suck to it, but they haven't worked for me.

This awning, however, works great and requires no drilling and no suction cups.

[IMG][/IMG]

KingCamp awning, $80 Amazon. Also works on a hatchback, van, etc.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:37 AM   #16

New Jersey
Elpea, at that price, I think that King Camp awning might be the next addition to the suction cups and then I can use a small tarp for an over-the-door awning on the back of my camper. At that point it will be pretty similar to the bus depot awning, but I already have the poles, tarp and suction cups, so I can take my time now.

I wouldn't feel comfortable tying off to my rock guard, I feel like those little rivets would be strained in a strong wind, so i think I will stick with the suction cups. I will also make some side suction mounts so I can put my tent polls directly to the camper if the parking surface doesn't allow for staking out guylines. See attached.

Nancy, since you have an Egg shape camper and not a burger box shape like my Hunter II, I have read that it might be tougher to find a spot for the dual suction cups to attach. I think the solution would be to go with the solo suction cups or split the dual cup in two at the handle, then you will only need a good 5" surface for attachment which shouldn't be too tough. For a few bucks its worth a shot, before getting into adhesives or drilling.

Also, I got some cheap carabiners at Harbor Freight too, so I can leave the cord attached to the suction cups and have really quick set up/break down. 12 Piece Snap Clip Fastener Set
Attached Thumbnails
awning pole holder.jpg  
Old 09-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #17

CA
James, I wouldn't worry about the awning stressing your rivets, but there are so many other options for how to tie this down.

I posted more photos and details here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-76311.html

The trailer-side tiedowns are very stretchy bungee material. At first I thought they had to be totally tight, but it was better when they still had some *give* to handle the wind, and then spring back. They can go in almost any direction (over the top of your trailer, stretch over the corner and down the side, tie onto another cord and hook onto a tire or even a stake on the far side...)

I trust these more than I trust suction cups, but if you're more burger box than egg-shape, the cups might work for you.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #18

New Jersey
Ellpea, thanks for sharing that link, its helpful to see that awning in action.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #19

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejim83 View Post
Ellpea, thanks for sharing that link, its helpful to see that awning in action.
James, I am sorry to report that this awning has mysteriously disappeared from Amazon (but am happy that I got one before that happened).

The "Hasika Awning" on Amazon appears to be identical, although it is about $30 more than I paid for mine.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #20

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejim83 View Post
Elpea, at that price, I think that King Camp awning might be the next addition to the suction cups and then I can use a small tarp for an over-the-door awning on the back of my camper. At that point it will be pretty similar to the bus depot awning, but I already have the poles, tarp and suction cups, so I can take my time now.

I wouldn't feel comfortable tying off to my rock guard, I feel like those little rivets would be strained in a strong wind, so i think I will stick with the suction cups. I will also make some side suction mounts so I can put my tent polls directly to the camper if the parking surface doesn't allow for staking out guylines. See attached.

Nancy, since you have an Egg shape camper and not a burger box shape like my Hunter II, I have read that it might be tougher to find a spot for the dual suction cups to attach. I think the solution would be to go with the solo suction cups or split the dual cup in two at the handle, then you will only need a good 5" surface for attachment which shouldn't be too tough. For a few bucks its worth a shot, before getting into adhesives or drilling.

Also, I got some cheap carabiners at Harbor Freight too, so I can leave the cord attached to the suction cups and have really quick set up/break down. 12 Piece Snap Clip Fastener Set
James, what is the little doodad in the image you've included? It looks like a suction cup support for a little awning pole? Ellpea must know what this is...!

Tags
awning