Teardrop American - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #1

Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Paschink
Thumbs up

Just picked-up this old "Teardrop American" Outbacker camper. Attempting to restore it and would appreciate any information anyone might have. I've looked on-line and can't seem to find anything - I've seen one sold on EBay, and another one for sale on-line in San Francisco. The SanFran guy was asking $6000.00, but I find it hard to believe anyone would pay that much! Anyway, I'm not sure if this thing is fiberglass or plastic - but it needs some work and I'm glad I found this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
c44are2.jpg   576cre2.jpg  

Paul Paschink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Paul, we're glad you found us!

We've had a couple of good discussions about the Teardrop American. Unfortunately the links to the eBay stuff are dead...some of the pictures still show within the topic. Hopefully you'll might find some information you seek.

And now, for something completely different...., Via eBay

Molded Fiberglass Teardrop (eBay), CA

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Paul,
Very neat looking teardrop! I don't recall having one before. Usuallly the smallest we encounter is 13'. you've gone them one better in terms of going minimalist.

What needs fixing? Just about anything imaginable has been done to a molded fiberglass trailer by someone who frequents this board.

Thanks for sharing your find with us and please keep us posted on your progress and experiences with it.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #4

Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Paschink
Quote:
Paul,
Very neat looking teardrop! I don't recall having one before. Usuallly the smallest we encounter is 13'. you've gone them one better in terms of going minimalist.

What needs fixing? Just about anything imaginable has been done to a molded fiberglass trailer by someone who frequents this board.

Thanks for sharing your find with us and please keep us posted on your progress and experiences with it.
Kurt & Ann K.

Well, I do know for sure that this a 1989 vintage. The maufacturer was "Teardrop American Inc." 380 E. Penny Road, Wenatchee, WA. The whole camper weighs in at about 400 lbs. and is 9.5'(l)x7.5'(w)x5'(h). Two adults would fit comfortably but I think it could manage myself and my two kids (ages 6 & 4). I'm really planning on using it for solo trips... my wife doesn't know that part yet!

The previous owners hadn't noticed that one of the springs had gone - resulting in one tire actually wearing through the shell wheel well. It's not a huge issue, I can fix it with a fiberglass patch. I also want to extend the tongue and install a large storage box of some kind on the front. I'd like to replace the wheels with something larger and nicer looking. All of the rubber molding needs replacing as do the door handles, locks and wiring. The hinges don't appear to have rusted BUT the screws they used to attached them have... like to redo these with stainless. Right now, if it rains, the back galley area fills with water. There is no stove or icebox, but there is an interesting double wall removable plastic sink. You fill the inside of the double wall with clean water, and use a hand pump to get it out.... kinda hard to describe - I'll post some pics later.

One of the selling features of this camper was that the "pod" is removable should you want to use the trailer for moving stuff - the pod itself weighs about 225 lbs.

Right now, I've got the pod off and the trailer taken apart in my garage. Hoping to have it ready for spring.
Paul Paschink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I also want to extend the tongue and install a large storage box of some kind on the front...
Like most teardrops, the axle is very far back on this trailer. That means that even after extending the tongue, the location of the storage box would likely be quite close to the hitch, compared to the distance to the axle, so most of the weight would be carried by the hitch. Since teardrops are usually chosen because the tow vehicle has very low towing capacity, I would want to check carefully to ensure that the resulting hitch weight is still suitable.

Quote:
...but there is an interesting double wall removable plastic sink. You fill the inside of the double wall with clean water, and use a hand pump to get it out.... kinda hard to describe...
This sounds like a common design of portable sink intended for tent camping. I've never used one, but have seen them in camping stores.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Paul,
You might also look around this teardrop site.

Tom Trostel

http://www.mikenchell.com/
Old 11-24-2006, 02:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hello Paul!
Welcome to fiberglass RV, that's a neat looking unit.
Check out Don Stoddart at Util Equip in Woodstock. Besides building Hydro Boom trucks and pole trailers he also manufactures teardrops. He could be a source for new axles and other parts. He's on Clarke St south of dundas and it's no longer a long distance call, and only about a half hour away.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #8

Trailer: American Teardrop Outback (gullwing)
Quote:
Just picked-up this old "Teardrop American" Outbacker camper. Attempting to restore it and would appreciate any information anyone might have. I've looked on-line and can't seem to find anything - I've seen one sold on EBay, and another one for sale on-line in San Francisco. The SanFran guy was asking $6000.00, but I find it hard to believe anyone would pay that much! Anyway, I'm not sure if this thing is fiberglass or plastic - but it needs some work and I'm glad I found this forum.

Hello Paul: I found this very old posting of yours where you mentioned your Teardrop American "Outback" camper. I have just recently purchased this exact model (1989) and so I'm hoping that you will share how your experiences went with the trailer. The information I have on the trailer states that it's made from polyethelene plastic and not fiberglass. I wanted to have the trailer painted to match my car but I was advised against it. I plan on pulling the trailer with my Smart Car (picture attached). The Smart Car is only rated to pull 350 kgs and so this Teardrop (gulllwing) is about the only trailer I've found that fits this weight restriction. If anyone else out there would like to add your experiences or comments, please do. Cheers - Rachel
Attached Thumbnails
Smart_Aug_18_08_A.jpg  
Rachel A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Rachel,

I don't have any info for you but please take a picture of the trailer hooked up to your car at some point. I would love to see it. As someone that is enamored with small house and small cars, it's right up my alley.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Just a little towing story. My cousin who has about a 35' TT was camping someplace and they decided to take their Chevy Tahoe in for service. The dealer gave them an Aveo as a loaner car. Naturally when they returned to the campsite, they parked the Aveo in front of the TT. Everyone walking by asked how they towed the TT with the Aveo.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Hello Paul: I found this very old posting of yours where you mentioned your Teardrop American "Outback" camper. I have just recently purchased this exact model (1989) and so I'm hoping that you will share how your experiences went with the trailer.
Rachel, doubt you'll hear anything from Paul. He was last logged in to FiberglassRV 14th November 2006 - 08:13 AM. He has set his e-mail to private, so there's no way for you to contact him privately. Since he isn't active here, he'll never see a PM either.

Sorry. Looks like a cool combination you've got going. And as others have stated, we love to see pics.

But, if you're truly curious to see how a paint job can change the run of the mill, check out this Trailorboat in our Albums: Trailorboat. And, I'm not sure why anyone would tell you not to paint YOUR trailer to match YOUR rig. Although we have found white is the best seller of molded lightweight fiberglass trailers, your lil trailer is unusual enough it already has a special niche. Paint is pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things and I'm certainly an advocate of doing what pleases you.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone would tell you not to paint YOUR trailer to match YOUR rig.
I think it's because the trailer is polyethylene -- that may be difficult or impossible to paint.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
There is a thread over on Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers started by someone in Oregon who just found one to restore.
Teardrop American

I was thinking about looking for one to fill the space in my garage left when we sold our teardrop, but I've heard they are pretty sweaty to sleep in.
Maybe you can figure out how to insulate and ventilate it.
Anyway, it sounds like the Oregon owner has dismantled it down to the frame so you should be able to get some info/ideas.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
The information I have on the trailer states that it's made from polyethelene plastic and not fiberglass. I wanted to have the trailer painted to match my car but I was advised against it.
Have you considered Krylon Fusion for plastic?
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_...tallic_shimmer/

I've seen it on plastic lawn furniture and it looks great. No idea how it would last on at trailer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
Quote:
Have you considered Krylon Fusion for plastic?
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_...tallic_shimmer/

I've seen it on plastic lawn furniture and it looks great. No idea how it would last on at trailer.

one reason they may have told you not to paint it is some paints will actually melt plastic. another reason may be that the paint will not stick to it because its too smooth of a serface to take the paint. in that case you may want to etch it in order for the paint to stick. in both cases be sure to use a small spot to test the paint on the plastic in case it melts or destorts. for example if you were to use engine block paint the binder in the paint will most likely melt the plastic. these warnings are usually on the paint itself but many people dont read the fine print. hope you can get it painted. i would look for a shop that paints boats. just my 2 cents tho
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #16

If painting the entire body isn't feasible, perhaps the wheels and tongue could be painted to match the tug and some cool graphics too which could be decals?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #17

Trailer: American Teardrop Outback
For Rachel, I have just aquired a 1989 OUTBACKER by american teardrop, I am pretty sure 89 is the "only year" they were made as the company was out of business in 1990. (info looked up on internet) I have original brochure on mine and in 89 they were introduced as NEW ! My friend & co-worker had bought this one new in 89 and had not used it in several years, so after some friendly bartering I finally purchased it for the whopping sum of $300... as far as painting it goes, it had a factory Creme colored paint already on the shell (polyethelene ?) plus a not so cool CAMO paint scheme on top of that, so I took a chance and tested two different types paint ( acryllic enamel & lacquer )on the painted and the "gray"non-painted surface in the back galley area with no damage to the plastic. The laquer I tested dried much faster and did not require a hardener mix. so it was used, if you have not yet painted your camper and are still thinking about it, I would recommend using a good automotive laquer primer first followed by laquer based paint, and test it the way I did just in case it does attack the plastic, if the test area does not bubble or put off heat the paint should be OK...
J.D. Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #18

Quote:
For Rachel, I have just aquired a 1989 OUTBACKER by american teardrop, I am pretty sure 89 is the "only year" they were made as the company was out of business in 1990.
Pictures? The only ones we've seen are stock.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1984
I think that Paul has gone.
He hasn't responded to this thread in almost three years.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #20

Trailer: American Teardrop Outback
Quote:
Pictures? The only ones we've seen are stock.
Well Donna This one is pretty much stock too, Have made some modifications to it and more to come. Plans include a interior roof brace of 1" square stock bolted to existing metal door brace's (roll bar style) to support ABS from sagging. I have already fabricated center divider in galley to support galley hatch for same reason.. this 20 yr-old is still pretty strong, but has experienced some heat related sag on the large flat areas..easy to remedy...
Attached Thumbnails
galley_2.jpg   galley_1.jpg  

J.D. Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote