Tell me about Inverters please. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Inverter Warning

Warning

One of our talented members let me know that there are dangers the way I use my 1200 watt Inverter. Please pay heed to this warning.

The way I plug my 1200 watt Inverter into my trailer's electrical system is dangerous for a casual user.

First I use a cord with two male ends on it to connect the output of my Inverter to an outlet on my AC electrical system. Via this process I feed AC to all electrical outlets in the trailer back thru the electrical box. This includes sending power to the trailer's power cord.

If the Inverter is turned on the male ends of the plug from the Inverter would be electrically hot, have 110VAC on it. If you touched them you would get a shock, possibly severe.

Second since I am feeding AC thru my breaker box, AC would feed all the way to my 30 amp cord that normally would be plugged into a pole service outlet. That means the trailer's power cord, the mail end would also be hot. Another significant danger.

I deal with both of these issues but it's too easy for the casual user to make a mistake.

As well you should never have the out put of the Inverter plugged into your system if you are going to have the Inverter plugged in.. This will definitely cause the Inverter to fail.

My approach works but it does take careful consideration of one's actions. I do not recommend my approach of connecting my Inverter to the electrical system. As a result I have modified the previous post.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
A lot of generator users wind up with the same issue. As the owner/prime user, it is incumbent on you not to "zot yourself" but the risk is very high for others, especially curious kidlets in the area, etc

In your case, I'd suggest a 15 amp -to-30 amp plug adapter to allow you to plug your 30 amp main cord into the adapter, which then plugs into the inverter
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
First I use a cord with two male ends on it ...........
Good caution. Some people use the double male ended cords to power their house temporarily from a generator. Also unsafe.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Warning

One of our talented members let me know that there are dangers the way I use my 1200 watt Inverter. Please pay heed to this warning.

The way I plug my 1200 watt Inverter into my trailer's electrical system is dangerous for a casual user.

First I use a cord with two male ends on it to connect the output of my Inverter to an outlet on my AC electrical system. Via this process I feed AC to all electrical outlets in the trailer back thru the electrical box. This includes sending power to the trailer's power cord.

If the Inverter is turned on the male ends of the plug from the Inverter would be electrically hot, have 110VAC on it. If you touched them you would get a shock, possibly severe.

Second since I am feeding AC thru my breaker box, AC would feed all the way to my 30 amp cord that normally would be plugged into a pole service outlet. That means the trailer's power cord, the mail end would also be hot. Another significant danger.

I deal with both of these issues but it's too easy for the casual user to make a mistake.

As well you should never have the out put of the Inverter plugged into your system if you are going to have the Inverter plugged in.. This will definitely cause the Inverter to fail.

My approach works but it does take careful consideration of one's actions. I do not recommend my approach of connecting my Inverter to the electrical system. As a result I have modified the previous post.
To avoid these, as you admit, dangerous problems, why not mount a 30 amp receptacle on the outside of the trailer fed by the inverter & simply plug the trailer shore power cord into it? Of course you would still have to shut off the breaker (or unplug) the converter, but this would be a far safer solution to powering the entire trailer.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
To avoid these, as you admit, dangerous problems, why not mount a 30 amp receptacle on the outside of the trailer fed by the inverter & simply plug the trailer shore power cord into it? Of course you would still have to shut off the breaker (or unplug) the converter, but this would be a far safer solution to powering the entire trailer.

Egg zakly!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'll probably add an Inverter outlet to the trailer and plug the trailer's power cord in. Thanks

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Inverter Cable

I use 1/0 and 3/0 welding cable I bought at a welding supply shop . The cable is extremely flexible and has a tough rubber coating . You can usually buy the cable by the foot and they often have short lengths for sale cheap
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:52 AM   #28
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I use 1/0 and 3/0 welding cable I bought at a welding supply shop . The cable is extremely flexible and has a tough rubber coating . You can usually buy the cable by the foot and they often have short lengths for sale cheap
Wow, what kind of amperage and how long a run are you dealing with to need that size wire? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Wow, what kind of amperage and how long a run are you dealing with to need that size wire? Raz
If you have a 2000 watt surge, that is 167 amps at 12 volts.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #30
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
If you have a 2000 watt surge, that is 167 amps at 12 volts.
Perhaps, but surge implies short duty cycle. Also Resistance is directly proportional to length and inversely proportional to cross section. A short length should allow for smaller gauges. Six feet (a conservative length from the battery to the inverter) of 6 AWG wire has a resistance of about 0.0024 ohms. At 167 A. a voltage drop of 0.4 V. would occur for a very short time (milliseconds I would guess). Unless I have made an error, I don't see why you would need anything larger. What am I missing? Raz
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #31

Quote:
........What am I missing? Raz
He gets the heavy wire really cheap and it is better to be too big than too small.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #32
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
He gets the heavy wire really cheap and it is better to be too big than too small.
It's useful for folks looking for guidance to know that there is no technical reason for having to use wire that size since it may not be as cheap where they live. Especially the end connectors. Thanks, Raz
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #33

Quote:
It's useful for folks looking for guidance to know that there is no technical reason for having to use wire that size since it may not be as cheap where they live. Especially the end connectors. Thanks, Raz

That's why you are here.