The all-important Roundtuit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Wink The all-important Roundtuit

This is another memoir of Houdini-like contortionism in the old Burro; otherwise the repairs are the minor challenges that we all face but are the sort of thing that require decision and judgment about what to do, what needs to be on hand to avoid doing the job more than once, and of course getting a round tuit.

I had a Rhino window lock on the rear slider. It's red and all the others are black and probably OE. The replacement Rhino had a striker which was entirely too thick to seat in the gap between the slider and the fixed glazing so I took it off and, having a bit of time at work yesterday (the occasion of getting a round tuit) milled the plastic strike down from about 3/16" to 3/32" thickness by attaching to a block of wood and running thru the table saw. I lost one of the retract springs but not a problem as that staple of McGiverism the ballpoint pen spring was at hand and a good match for the remaining spring. Screwed it on to the sliding sash this morning and now the slider is locked and won't vibrate open on a rainy road. Of course the gap is so narrow that the springs won't automatically seat the strike but I've had other things in my life that demanded a tiny bit of effort so a manual lock is superior to none at all imo. My neck didn't hurt a bit at that point.

I also had a tiny two-element control wire under the sink which had parted company with the juice. One element was broken and the other stripped but adrift from its junction. I suspected it went to the CO sniffer on the aft bulkhead which also not functioned since I acquired the trailer. I've got butt connectors and taps in every wire size known to man but do I have the backbone of a reptile and the arms of an Orangutang to do the repair? And where does the stripped lead go? So I find a white wire about 12 or 14 gauge with the black lead from the propane sniffer alongside and held by a giant knuckle of electrical tape. Underneath of course is the "farmer tap" (stripped for about 3/4" and the sniffer lead coiled around it with no solder. My Apple-like intuitions about wiring whisper "like with like" so I touch the bare element from the CO to the bare white and get a reassuring signal from the sniffer. Propane sniffer still blinking so I get a "guillotine" tap from the house but everything is too short and of course wrapped around plumbing hose (Can you magnetize water?) so attacking with a pair of luggers or pliers is out of the question. So I get a chunk of #18 off an old computer or flashlight transformer that's moldering away in the basement and extend the lead to the tap with a buttconn and then put the official tap on the white for both sniffers and Viola! another incredibly-awkward remedial correction in the Burro "control room" (under the sink). Now my neck does indeed hurt.

This afternoon I'm going to install the ledgers that will allow my solar panel to slide in and store on the underside of the aft dinette table top. We don't convert from bed to breakfast so the cast leg cups will come off and go in storage with the chrome legs. That can be done outside the trailer so no more dislocating my neck for today. Tomorrow the Fan Tastic Fan weather permitting. That too may involve some painful Yoga moves around the converter/elect. service so I don't really took forward to it. Actually I'll probably set up the scafford again to bed the Fan to the roof and save the hookup to the 12volt box for another day.

Isn't this fun? Well maybe less fun than say lifting the shell and replacing the floor or slopping around with fabmat and polester resin. At my age I can only take so much FUN.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 16' old
Florida
Registry
Just a great post jack, very eloquintly spoken, you got me smilin again. Now if I can just find my . . .oh yea my own rnd tuit I will get back to work on our (new to us) Scamp. Thanks again!
Sandy
Sandy From Fla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #3

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy From Fla. View Post
Just a great post jack, very eloquintly spoken, you got me smilin again. Now if I can just find my . . .oh yea my own rnd tuit I will get back to work on our (new to us) Scamp. Thanks again!
Sandy
You're welcome, Sandy.

My Grandpa always laughed when his rheumatism acted up. Pain is the funniest, unfunny thing about growing old. All the other unfunny things are worse. Better post about what you're doing to your rig and pictures if you can. Being as long-winded as me is optional.

jack
Old 08-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
At least you were able to find your tools, here is my NestEgg while I was doing some "Roundtoit"s earlier this year
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00759.jpg  
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
At least you were able to find your tools, here is my NestEgg while I was doing some "Roundtoit"s earlier this year
LOL !! After looking at photo I need you to clarify, please, where does the 'roundtuit project' end and the 'parts' begin?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #6

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Neatness counts in penmanship, embroidery, and paint by numbers. Jim, if it's not all sticking together, I figure clutter is acceptable. But I hate those wherdiputit moments that turn into wherdiputit days and weeks.

jack
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
Well at least I clean up well....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00807.jpg  
Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Yes, looks great !! and my fav color too (red!!)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #9

Florida
Registry
The all-important Roundtuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
You're welcome, Sandy.

My Grandpa always laughed when his rheumatism acted up. Pain is the funniest, unfunny thing about growing old. All the other unfunny things are worse. Better post about what you're doing to your rig and pictures if you can. Being as long-winded as me is optional.

jack
I'm really really new here but learning as much as I can from all of you fine folks here, I just found my round toit for tomorrow that will hopfully allow me to down load my camera and upload some pictures. Is there a special place I should up load my pics as I go & please tell me where to find that info, TIA (Thanks In Advance)
Sandy
Old 08-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
you can start a new thread or post them under your avatar/name in your own folder (user CP)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #11

Delaware
If you scroll down under the message template to "additional options" you'll see the "manage attachments" box which will allow you to upload several fotos from your computer and you'll know what to do. I'm not used to sites that host their own photos so it's a bit different than sites which require uploads to photo storage sites and linking from there. Nothing bothers me more (well, not very much) than loosing my explanatory text in a ham-handed effort to post pix. If you hate that feeling of loss, add your text after a successful load of fotos or copy your work so it's retrievable.

jack
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #12

Florida
Registry
Jack I posted some pics. I think on a new thread up above your round tuit post, please let me know if thats the right place. Mods please move my post if in the wrong place, I am a slow learner but I have a round tuit to help with that.
Sandy
Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #13

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
Here is a new toit for you
Attached Thumbnails
toit.php.jpg  
Old 08-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #14

Florida
Registry
Thanks Donald & Debra, I will keep it close at hand always..... Now where did I put that round tuit.... .... oh there it is!
Sandy
Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #15

Florida
Registry
Thanks Jim Thats a good idea.
Sandy
PS,sorry it took so long to post