The compact kitchen concept - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2006, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
The compact, complete kitchen concept:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/K05WA.html

These complete kitchens are pretty cool. I realize they are all electric, but, for those who always wish to use electricity, they would be an easy replacement in our little campers.

I haven't looked at the weight and if the refrigerator could be hooked to propane. I would think there would be a few options on these units.

Thoughts? Will it or won't it work?
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
thats a cool unit!! I see its 115 or 220? How would someone convert that over?? Its a good thought if anyone can do that.....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I had this same unit in my first apartment. :yikes 30 years ago.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Both Ikea and Home Depot have had similar setups, and my wife and I have noticed how well they would fit a trailer. We would want propane for cooking, so they wouldn't work for us, but it seems like an efficient way to get the required appliances without extra cabinetry, nicely fitted together, and it would work for someone who always has shore power.

I like the idea of a seamless stainless steel counter, stove, and sink.

The Woods units specs show "230-3 wire (12 AMP)"; that's 230VAC, drawing up to 12A from each side - it needs a significant power supply to run two good stovetop elements. The refrigerator in these units is normally a conventional AC compressor-type unit, just without a separate cabinet, and sometimes with the compressor placed under the sink so it doesn't intrude into food space - that may be how this model fits 5.4 cubic feet in under the counter.

The closest I have seen in RV equipment is Dometic's integrated sink and cooktop, from their European product line. That unit is just the two items combined in one unit and dropped into a single opening in a cabinet; it doesn't include the cabinet or a refrigerator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
The compact, complete kitchen concept:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/K05WA.html

These complete kitchens are pretty cool. I realize they are all electric, but, for those who always wish to use electricity, they would be an easy replacement in our little campers.

I haven't looked at the weight and if the refrigerator could be hooked to propane. I would think there would be a few options on these units.

[b]Thoughts? Will it or won't it work?
When I rebuilt my gutted out Compact Junior, I chose to use a prefab 36" wide bathroom base cabinet for the "kitchen." The most complicated thing I had to do was to modify the back of the cabinet to accomodate the sloping curvy side of the trailer, while maintaining the structural integrity of the frameless cabinet. I wound up totally trashing one cabinet and having to buy another and start over.

(Tuition to the school of hard knocks is at RETAIL prices!)

About thirty years ago I wanted to use one of these units in a stick-built trailer I was rehabbing at the time... until I realized that the kitchen was over the wheel well.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
When I rebuilt my gutted out Compact Junior, I chose to use a prefab 36" wide bathroom base cabinet for the "kitchen." The most complicated thing I had to do was to modify the back of the cabinet to accomodate the sloping curvy side of the trailer, while maintaining the structural integrity of the frameless cabinet. I wound up totally trashing one cabinet and having to buy another and start over.

(Tuition to the school of hard knocks is at RETAIL prices!)

About thirty years ago I wanted to use one of these units in a stick-built trailer I was rehabbing at the time... until I realized that the kitchen was over the wheel well.

Stainless steel cabinets would be way cool.

I've considered rebuilding a FGRV in such a way that when you return after a trip, you remove your stuff, then go inside with a pressure washer and sluice everything else down a drain in the floor.

Seems like I go the other way, though, building nice wood framed cabinet doors, adding curtains, cushions, stereos, lighting, etc.

Oh well! It just makes life interesting to think about such things.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I had this same unit in my first apartment. :yikes 30 years ago.
I also had the same setup in my first apartment in 76
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote