The Gleeful Glamper asks a question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
The Gleeful Glamper asks a question

I have just named my 2011 13' Scamp "The Gleeful Glamper" as that is exactly what she, my DH and I are. I love to decorate the trailer according to my whim, the season and the destination. You've seen several of my postings on this forum. Simply search "Gilda" and you'll find a ton.

Well, little did I know "glamping" is a sometimes dirty word according to some folks. Now as a former die-hard (well, maybe not "die-hard") backpacker in my younger days I "poo-pooed" any type of RV or even large fancy tents. Obviously, as I've gotten older and now appreciate some comfort while camping, I now enjoy the finer points of "glamping". The following article talks a bit about the benefits and necessity of "glamping" among the disabled and seniors (me). Now, I just have to say there is room for all kinds of camping and campers. Even backpacking has "glamping" aspects with the newest, fanciest equipment being touted at many outdoor retailers. What happened to the rugged type of camping of John Muir who set out with a blanket roll and hardtack on his expeditions? Basically, for me, it boils down to spending quality time in nature with family and friends is beneficial to all.

See the article here. In Defense of Glamping | Sierra Club

Now I'd love to hear from you. What makes you a "gleeful glamper" or camper?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our campers have taken us places we never would have gone. Instead of saying, "No, we can't afford vacation," we say, "Where do you want to go this summer?"
Our latest camper, "The Longhouse," will serve the purpose of snowbirding. I have two disabilities: palmar and plantar fibromatosis. My hands and feet don't like cold, so we are going south in the winter. And my plantar fibromatosis limits my hiking. The Brookfield Zoo visit today was ended early, as my feet were in pain. This creates bumps and cords on my hands and feet and may lead to fingers and toes being contracted.

And my camper must have the amenities. The bugs eat me alive, so if I have to spend time inside away from them, I want comfort. Along with comfort, I had a good time decorating this new-to-us Silver Cloud. The bedroom had water damage on the walls, so Kevin had to strip the walls down to good and cover them. I made curtains from shower curtains to match the beds and shower curtain in the bathroom. All were Southwest in theme (which I love) and had a dark pink in them that matched the blinds, so we did not need to replace those in the living room. I found dishes that go with them too.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1404.jpg   dishes.jpeg  

Old 06-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Oooooooooo, love it!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
CindyL, I'm not a Glamper, but I really like what you've done with yours. Since you like the South West, will you be wintering in our Arizona warmth? If so we could show you around.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:39 AM   #5

Registry
Thanks, Dave and Paula. We have 4 more years before we are going to be able to retire. We spend Xmas vacation in Naples, FL, but we have discussed the fact that, unlike my aunt and uncle who have a place in Ft. Myers, we don't have to go to just one place every winter, so when we had a conference in Tempe last year, we discussed heading that direction sometimes. We will take you up on the invitation some time.

CindyL
Old 06-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Love the Gleeful Glamper name,

Love the curtains and dishes and how they match the interior!

We're starting to install the various goodies I've been buying (all small and cheap) since last October...was fearing we'd never get to it! But so far we've still going to be very basic, and most won't go in until we get a rolling WEIGHT on the Frajeelay Peanut. Our TV handles only 3600, 360 tongue, so we have to weigh it before I can carry out my decor designs other than basics--curtain panels, upholstery. We'll have to have those in any case, so they'll be included in the base weight.

Love the posts about glamping, so interesting and fun, and love the pics.

BEST
Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #7

Registry
Love the name! Maybe, if the furnace on our Silver Cloud fails to kick in during a snowstorm, ours will be redubbed "The Fudge Longhouse." .

CindyL
Old 06-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
"I have two disabilities: palmar and plantar fibromatosis. My hands and feet don't like cold, so we are going south in the winter. And my plantar fibromatosis limits my hiking. The Brookfield Zoo visit today was ended early, as my feet were in pain. This creates bumps and cords on my hands and feet and may lead to fingers and toes being contracted."

I feel for you, I really do. People usually seem to manage regardless, taking care of whatever they must as long as they can. And that's encouraging.

Both of us have some disabilities; in spite of it all, the trailer has given us something to take our minds off them. One of mine is that I can barely sleep andI cannot sleep lying down. I'm usually miserable all night--so what the heck, might as well let Paul have some adventures since I'm going to be miserable anywhere.