The kitchen is now a decent place - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-29-2005, 04:52 PM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Yes, it was bad from every angle, but not now.

1. New upper cabinet doors. Originals were hanging ugly as Florida chads after a Katrina.
2. New lower cabinet doors and in fact the design had to hide badly cut openings and missing bottom fiberglass. Multo-ugly.
3. New shelving and inner/under cabinet support structure. (Wasn't anything there.)
4. New faucet because the old one needed to be flung a far far distance.
5. New stove because the old one had unfixably froze aluminum valves that cost too much to replace anyway, and all the metallic surfaces, and knobs, wuz truely-ugly.
6. New lighting because I don't need no low-rent-looking floorescant AC fixtures under the cabinets in my kitchen. (Got a converter.)
7. New storage space where the fridge was because I removed that fridge, just because I could. Well, it was ugly, very heavy, and hardly space-efficient. That was a knuckle-busting, filled with curses job, for sure. Anyway, still glad I did it.
8. New kitchen utensils/cups/potholders hang-bar over the countertop. Made from some nice quarter-sawn sycamore, by the way.

Still much to do. In fact, though the stove works beautifully the water pump isn't hooked up to send water to the faucet and the drain won't drain anywhere good, since I fiberglassed up the original vent for the fridge.

.... And I'll post a picture if this ?@*%#+@ software ever allows it!

Old 11-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #2

NM
Registry

Still can't post a pix!

Old 11-29-2005, 05:11 PM   #3

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hang on Myron...it's not you. We're working on the problem. Believe me, everyone is frustrated.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #4

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Yes, it was bad from every angle, but not now.

ugly as Florida chads
My nephew, Chad, heard a lot of election jokes...

Congratulations on your upgrades!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:13 PM   #5

NM
Registry
Here's my Burro kitchen counter/cabinets on the day I first saw it. This egg had obviously been layed (laid?) to rest many years ago.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Akitch1w.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	359
Old 11-29-2005, 07:17 PM   #6

NM
Registry
This shot taken today, after a final tidying up of tools, spare parts, containers, and other stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Akitch2w.jpg  
Old 11-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
WOW! I love before and after pics! What a beeeaaautiful job!

You'd make Ty Pennington jealous!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:41 PM   #8

NM
Registry
Thank you, Webmaster, for clearing up the picture posting trouble.

Here's another shot of the kitchen improvements. (I need the postings practice.) One of my problems with this repair was that the bottom of the fiberglass cabinet underneath where the refrigerator was ... was missing. Previous owner had cut out bottom of the fiberglass case to make the fridge fit.

Simply using 1x2 wood framing would not be enough. I ended up using white plastic corner bead for sheetrocking. Ran it across entire bottom of the cabinet. It was wide enough and flexible enough for use as bottom trim. I even think the perforated holes pattern is neat.
Attached Thumbnails
WBefore1a.jpg  
Old 11-29-2005, 08:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
First class work. What have you used to replace the carpet that was up overhead on the ceiling?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Thank you, Webmaster, for clearing up the picture posting trouble.

Here's another shot of the kitchen improvements. (I need the postings practice.) One of my problems with this repair was that the bottom of the fiberglass cabinet underneath where the refrigerator was ... was missing. Previous owner had cut out bottom of the fiberglass case to make the fridge fit.

Simply using 1x2 wood framing would not be enough. I ended up using white plastic corner bead for sheetrocking. Ran it across entire bottom of the cabinet. It was wide enough and flexible enough for use as bottom trim. I even think the perforated holes pattern is neat.
Good looking job! I like the rounded theme carried out. How did you attach the frames on the fiberglass? Is the frame plywood or solid? What kind of cabinet latches did you use?
Thanks, Jim Munson
Old 11-29-2005, 09:08 PM   #11

NM
Registry
Ah, the carpet. Glad you asked, Gary. Originally there was no carpet up there. There were seven individual hornets nests, though. (Small, abandoned ones. Seems even the bugs had given up and left the area.)

It so happened that a week after I got Burro home it was bulk pick-up week in our town. I never fail to peruze the pickings, since our town is considered "upscale" and people with money throw out the darndest things. I paid particular interest in the McMansion areas and new construction. Didn't take long to find the perfect color remnants from a new rug installation. All brand new, and the best. Got plenty left over for the floor, too. But when I get to it, this floor will be hardwood.

Oh, and those cabinet doors? Got the 7ply wood from the dump. We have a great-great county landfill-recycle-dump. Left overs from a kitchen renovation. (I did pay for the stain, varnish and hardware at Home Depot.) The hinges are self-closing but once this egg gets its road test we will see if additional latching is necessary. If so likely will be magnets but currently, no latches.

Attaching the frames to the fiberglass: I did not want to simply surface mount the wood thereby keeping the fiberglass edges exposed when opening the doors. There was a great need to hide rough edges. So I rabbited the framing to make it nest into the rough opening(s). I was making the three door frames as one big unit. The framing becomes both the face and the interior side and makes a clean opening. I drilled through the face, used three 10/24 machine screws to bolt the frame assembly in place. I can easily remove the whole thing if necessary. When all is done I will cover the counter-sunk holes with plugs.

Yes, thanks, I appreciate your noticing. I am particularly happy with the rounded corner theme. Seemed logical, given the roundness of the egg itself, and is very easy on the eyes.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #12

NM
Registry
Oh, forgot to answer... the frame wood is all solid poplar. Only doors are plywood. Here's a picture of the framing and the router bit used.
Attached Thumbnails
cabmoldg.jpg  
Old 11-29-2005, 09:41 PM   #13

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
That looks really nice!

Tho, I am somewhat disappointed you RUINED that fridge face.. the grey plaid was so... well, grey!

(I am doing my cushions in Red Plaid, but I don't think I will add that little mod )

Thanks for showing the open ceiling. I just saw mine the other day in a small spot and was somewhat suprised they did not bring the seam together at the middle. Guess you get more headroom that way.

I may pull my covering out and insulate under there. It should help quite a lot and is easy to get to. I didn't realize it WASN'T.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:43 PM   #14

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Nice job. The woodwork and hardware all mesh nicely, in my opinion. The hinges and knobs are particularly interesting choice, giving a "period" look in keeping with the vintage of the trailer design, and suitable for the woodwork style; although I realize the faucet is an up-to-the-minute design, it fits in.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote