The Pine Cone's almost done! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #21

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Quote:
Tell me more about your mini wood stove please
Check out this website for Navigator Stove Works. They have wood burning galley stoves including the "Sardine".

http://www.marinestove.com/index.htm
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Check out this website for Navigator Stove Works. T....
Much thanx
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #23

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Donna,
Could you please save the link for the marine woodstove? As a retired chimney sweep I find the info quite interesting. Locating a source for sufficiently small stoves is very difficult, and these are the first ones I've seen that appear appropriate. There have been a couple of others over the years, but there were always problems achieving sufficient clearances around them and/or they created too much heat unless outside temps were in the sub-zero range, and the Fantastic Fan was running full bore with all windows open.

CJ and Hersey,
Finding the source for those stoves and sharing the info may provide inspiration for many others.
The "cabin" interior is awesome. I can imagine the outside painted to look like a log cabin, sitting outside the door and enjoying a glorious sunset before going indoors for supper cooked on a real wood stove!!!
Thanks,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #24

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
pssssstttt, Kurt...

you live in a cabin. Come to think of it, so do I...

CJ, the inside of my house looks exactly like that, including the ceiling. I love knotty pine, and finding a house up here when I was looking that had it was not difficult. I was, however, appalled at how many of the old cabins up here had been "Updated". Why would one move to a mountain and then make their house look like every other McMansion down the hill. Oh well.

I will put the link in the helpful links... if Kurt thinks it's safe.. it is.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #25

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Updated cabins. Gaa! Almost as bad as those people who move to the country, build a 5000 sq/ft house for two people, clearcut every inch of their land and pave it with acres of grass. WHY? Why do people do these things?

Later!
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #26

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Updated cabins. Gaa! Almost as bad as those people who move to the country, build a 5000 sq/ft house for two people, clearcut every inch of their land and pave it with acres of grass. WHY? Why do people do these things?

Later!

Because they can!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #27

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
It's just beautiful!
I know the weight isn't that much more. I replaced those totally heavy doors and tables in mine with light weight clear pine for the Ikea look. I thought I was going to get a hernia hauling those old composite boards to the trash.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I replaced those totally heavy doors and tables in mine with light weight clear pine for the Ikea look.
That sounds nice. Do you have any photos or can you share details about your doors? (maybe you've already posted something?)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
That's what I was wondering: how much did all that paneling add to the weight of the camper? Absolutely gorgeous job, by the way. It looks so completely homey and welcoming!
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #30

Quote:
That's what I was wondering: how much did all that paneling add to the weight of the camper? Absolutely gorgeous job, by the way. It looks so completely homey and welcoming!
Thank you very much! I hope to get the inside finished this winter. (After 2 years of working on it... Finally!)

Well, I took out the furnace, so that's 20 pounds gone. The fridge is gone, 20 -25 pounds. The water tank is gone, another 5 pounds. The center of the Closet is cut out, 5 pounds. The bunk bed is gone, at least 50 pounds gone. (That is CRAZY heavy wood!) The bunk bed bench is gone, another 20 pounds. and the propane tank is gone, 15 pounds. The paneling is UBER light. Each 8 foot long by 3,1/2" by 1/4" weigh maybe a couple ounces. They are REALLY light. I didn't have to add any structural pieces except for the bathroom door support and the screen door support. Altogether I took out about 140 (or more) pounds, and added back about 150 - 175 pounds. So, not too, too bad I think.

Thanx!
Later!
Old 10-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #31

Getting Closer!

The Back

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer_Back.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	24693

The stained glass window from the outside at night. Made by Ann from Bill and Ann C

Name:	Stained_Glass_Outside.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	24694

The stained glass window from the inside.

Name:	Stained_Glass_Inside.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	24695

Just a bit more brass and a screen door and she's done!

Later for now!
Old 10-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Wow, you have a beauty at hand here! VERY well done!!!! I agree with another poster out here, I would not know whether I would go outside enjoying outdoors or stay inside!
Gerda, H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #33

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Some beautiful workmanship. I hope we'll see it one day in person!
I'm sure you're going to enjoy your cabin on wheels.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Did you say how you affixed the wood strips to the shell? If not, please do!
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Did you say how you affixed the wood strips to the shell? If not, please do!

Hi! Thanx for the thumbs-up everyone!

Well, I used "furring" strips between the original ceiling and the new panels. The furring strips I used were ~5/8" x ~1&1/4", (Otherwise known as 1 x 2's), cut as long as the trailer's roof bulge is wide. I cut a groove into the furring strips every 3&1/2" most of the way through to allow the strip to bend to match the side to side curve of the roof. I attached the furring strips to the roof by drilling through the roof and screwing the strips to the ceiling from above. (Filling the drill-holes with caulking before screwing in the screws.) Then I attached the ceiling panels to the furring strips. One strip at each end of the ceiling, one near the middle, and one at the vent. gives you a nice curve that matches the original without adding too much mass. each originally 8 foot by 3&1/2 inches ceiling panel weighs no more than a few ounces. (3/16" thick.) You could also attach the new ceiling pieces to the roof first and then add horizontal cross pieces, kinda like the the beams on the roof of an expensive yacht. Bolt some brass bolts through the roof, through the ceiling pieces and through the "beam" until it's flush with the surface of the beam. Back the bolts off a bit, countersink the hole in the beam, screw the bolts back down, then cap them off with some brass screw caps so that the caps are flush with the ceiling. That's how I would have done it if I had thought of it sooner. Would have been a bit easier.

Righto! Thanx & later!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #36

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I was planning on buying a sardine stove with a window. I wonder how it worked out for heating your egg. Can you inform us?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #37

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Beautiful work. I love it.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote