The Pine Cone's almost done! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2008, 04:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Talking

The "Pine Cone", formerly "Woody" is nearing completion. Sort of. I still
have to cut and fit 3 or 4 panels for the bathroom walls. The bathroom
door needs to be redone now that the opening is a half inch narrower.
It still needs kitchen drawers, the floor needs to be cut and
installed, the support for the wood burning stove needs to be built, (yes, wood burning stove.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sardine1.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	14367

the table needs to be covered in the same material as the floor, the
speakers and sub woofers need to be covered with metal speaker grills.
(Yes, Sub woofers. Plural.) And I still need to cut and install
somewhere between 75 and 100 feet of 1&1/2 inch to 2 inch wide strips
of brass. When all that's done then I have to put on one coat of
walnut oil every 5 days for about a month and a half to give the wood
the DEEP satin lustre I'm looking for. Altogether, with what I've
applied so far and what I still have to apply, there'll be about 7 or
8 coats of oil in the wood. It's already starting to do a "tiger
stripe maple" effect. VERY nice.
http://www.northcoastknives.com/mapletiger-Lrg.gif Of course, when
all of the interior is done there is still the outside to do. Paint
the frame black, Replace the old tired 2000 pound suspension with a
3500 pound suspension. Replace the tires and wheels with my extra Jeep
wheels in the garage. Spray on black rubber rock guard on the front of
the trailer to stop rocks from chipping the fiberglass any more.
Replace the front and back foggy crackly plexiglass windows. AND
THEN... Paint the outside of the trailer the same color as the Jeep.
And amongst all of this, at some point I'll be installing the wood
stove.

Name:	Egg_Door.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	14361

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Egg_Door_Side.jpg   Egg_Front_Door.jpg  

Egg_Kitchen.jpg   Egg_Large_Pantry.jpg  

Egg_Small_Pantry.jpg   Sardine2.jpg  

cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe (a true 'Dream House'!)
That is amazing! Where will you put the wood stove?
Lorene W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Yes, wow, that IS amazing! We used to tease pjanits for the chimney on his trailer (he photographed it with the house in the background, and it did look like the chimney was on the roof of the trailer) - but you really are going to have one! Amazing!

(Beautiful job. Beautiful job.)

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I agree, very nice!

Do you have a "before" weight? I'm thinking you'll need at least a 3500 pound axle and appropriate size tires. I'd be curious how much weight it added.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Fantastic! I have a trailer today, because of my early memories of the wood in our early 60's travel trailer. In fact, before we purchased fiberglass, we looked for a blond wood interior 50-60's small travel trailer for two years. The wood work in yours is beautiful. Maybe you'll bring it to the Oregon Gathering in Bandon, someday??

Thanks for sharing your work. D
Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
WOW!!! That is STUNNING!! A rustic little cabin on wheels for you! And it's only a 13 footer huh? Amazing! It looks like you've made a little bathroom/closet for yourself next to the kitchen as well? And I'm curious too, where are you going to fit the stove? Though it does appear to be a pretty small/compact stove...
Before pics would probably be interesting, IF you have them. Keep us posted, and I bet you'll be a HUGE attraction at every rally you go to! hehehe
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
cjlindsay
Looks GREAT very nice work. The only problem for me is all the extra wt. from all that GREAT looking wood. The reason I bought a 13' Scamp was to keep the wt down. Any idea how much more wt. this wood added to the trailer? Keep up the good work.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #8

Trailer: Compact Jr
How do you plan to seal the chimney-through-roof joint? I'd be worried about a hot chimney setting my roof on fire, or leakage around the chimney.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #9

Thank You ALL very, VERY much for the compliments! I'm having an absolute blast doing this reno. A Boler + a lot of time + a lot of money + a lot of sweat + a bit of blood = A whole LOTTA FUN!

For Where the Stove will Go:

In the third picture you can just see the platform on the lower left of the shot. That is where the stove will go.

For the Weight:

Actually probably not as much as you might think. All the wood I am using is EXTREMELY light. 1/4 inch or thinner. The wood from the original top bunk probably weighed about 60 pounds. the fiberglass from the lower bunk is another 20 pounds gone. No more furnace, built in stove or fridge. No more Propane tank. No more water tank. One third of the tall cabinet cut out. Altogether that's probably well over another hundred pounds gone. With all that gone and the new wood on, the difference between original dry and renovated dry shouldnt be more than 100 - 150 pounds. It helps that the stove is only 35 pounds. As for tires and axles. I'm getting new 3500 pound torsion arm susp. From Princess Auto. $400.00 Tax included when not on sale. The wheels I have already from my Jeep. I,ll have to enlarge the fiberglass openings for the wheels, But that's O.K. I've seen it done, and it looks good.

For the "Cabin on Wheels":

You GOT IT EXACTLY. A Cabin on wheels. Yup, Bathroom in the corner. Couldn't get a good pic. The sun was setting into the bathroom window. The stove will go beside the bathroom, on the platform on the bottom left of the third pic. No Before pics. Yeah I know, I'm kicking myself for you...

For Sealing the Chimney, and not burning to death:

I'm actually putting it through the wall in the corner just below the body joint with a class "A" Double Walled, Insulated Chimney Tee. And all the stove pipe is going to be class "A" Double Walled, Insulated pipe. Minimum clearance to flamables is 2" The chimney pipe is 4". The Tee opening through the wall is 8 inches. I'm also going to make sure that the pipe ends a minimum 3' above the roof, and that I ALWAYS have a spark arrestor in place. And that I clean out the creosote after EVERY trip.

Thanks Again everyone! I hope to have it all done in time to fire up the stove sometime is September. So MANY little details! Gaa! Later!

P.S. I tried to respond to everyone individually with a multi-quote. But it seems this forum doesn't support that. Sorry!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #10

Trailer: Play Pac
Amazing! I just LOVE it!!!!!!!
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Imagining if that is all Cedar Wood, with a real hot stove you'd have the makings of a great portable sauna.

The smell of all that pine must be marvelous!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Imagining if that is all Cedar Wood, with a real hot stove you'd have the makings of a great portable sauna.

The smell of all that pine must be marvelous!

Actually, in three years when the Jeep is payed for I'll be redoing it all in Cedar.

And, yup! The Pine and Walnut oil together, smell awesome. Very fresh. : )

Thanks All!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Ford Explorer
WOW your little cabin on wheels looks great! I had re-done mine a year or so ago with all wood, but your is just perfect. I have one question... how did you attach the wood the the walls and ceiling..?? did you have to drill any hole's anywhere..?

Keep up the good work... it looks really nice! I am sure you will have many good memories with it!
mcnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #14

Quote:
WOW your little cabin on wheels looks great! I had re-done mine a year or so ago with all wood, but your is just perfect. I have one question... how did you attach the wood the the walls and ceiling..?? did you have to drill any hole's anywhere..?

Keep up the good work... it looks really nice! I am sure you will have many good memories with it!
Whoops! Sorry! Haven't checked the forum lately. Thank You! Yeah, I had to drill either 15 or 18 holes in the ceiling to support the strapping for the roof panels. Plus four holes on either side to support the new front and rear cabinets. I filled the holes with caulking then screwed the screws from the outside of the Egg through the wet caulking and into the wood strapping inside the egg. Before I closed the last little gap between the screws and the fiberglass I dabbed a little more caulk around and under the screws to make SURE it never leaks. The side panels are ALL pressure fitted between various permanent fixtures. (Upper cabinets to the lower cabinets. Floor to the window frames. Benches to the window frames. Window frames to the roof panels) Using the pressure fit method allowed me to put paneling where I couldn't have otherwise.(Not without HUNDREDS of holes in the fiberglass) Of course, doing it this way I had to figure out a way to KEEP the pressure fit pieces in place while the Egg is rolling down the highway. Got lucky in a couple spots where the bunk supports were, but otherwise that's where the brass comes in. Not only is it for prettying up the edges and corners that don't quite meet perfectly, it's also stuctural. The brass is being screwed to every piece of wood in the trailer and will support the neighboring panels if ever one comes loose. Sorry for the long winded answer! Later!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Ok cjlindsay,

I want to see more of that interior of your egg!! I LOVE that lodgy look! Come on...give us a peek at what would be surrounding that stain glass door!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Carolyn is right,

Your trailer is beautiful! I the interior of our trailer was as beautiful as yours.
Bill&Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Ok cjlindsay,

I want to see more of that interior of your egg!! I LOVE that lodgy look! Come on...give us a peek at what would be surrounding that stain glass door!!
Ohhhh-Kayyy. If you insist.

Here we go!

Name:	Egg1.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	16766

Name:	Egg4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	16768

Name:	Egg6.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	16770

Name:	Sardine.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	16772

Pic 4 shows the ledge (Bottom left of pic) where the itty bitty wood burning stove is going.
Pic 6 is inside the bathroom I added to the front of the trailer.
Pic 7 is the Sardine. (Web Pic)
Winter is upon us again, so I should be able to finish it by next spring. (Hopefully!)

Later!
Attached Thumbnails
Egg2.jpg   Egg5.jpg  

Egg7.jpg  
Old 11-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Are you kidding?

The interior of your trailer looks like a cabin out in Jackson Hole!! It's wonderful!!

I love my trailer, but I absolutely LOVE what you've done!!

You really need a stain glass window to complete the look.

Gosh, I'd be torn as to going outside and enjoying the outdoors or staying inside and enjoying the indoors!!

Wow...Very, very, very, very, very, very, very impressive!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just split all the posts regarding cjlindsay's trailer into this original topic. It's best to stay on topic and the other topic is about Stain Glass Entry Doors.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Tell me more about your mini wood stove please
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote