The Pine Cone Update - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #15

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
Hi Cpaharley, thats a great idea. I will consider that.
Hi Crackedegg, Congrats on your new ownership, Post pics!
I'm in St.Thomas, by London Ontario. I can only take credit for a small part of the woodwork in my boler. The majority of the work was done by another very talented member of this group before I purchased it. Every minute i spend on "The Pine Cone" is very rewarding in many ways. Ex: It's very calming after a rough day at work. It's going in for a professional Interlux brightside body and paint job first week of September. When I had some screw holes and and gel coat touched up, the gentleman doing the work informed me that I didn't have much gelcoat left to work with since it is a '72. So I made the decision to paint. It will be all one colour, a cool off-white. I'm really stoked about this. This week its installing a bigger 19" TV with a swing mount involving a rewire. Should be fun!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #16

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
Cool looking trailer. Nice woodwork.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #17

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
I love the woodwork inside. I'm not sure what to do yet with mine yet. I do woodworking and have my own shop to do work(can't fit the egg in though). I saw Siris takes out the cabs etc and fiberglasses them and paints. I like the look but don't have the experience yet for fiberglass. It might be less work or more...? My egg has had some water in it but not alot. There is a certain funkiness to the smell inside. I know fiberglassing it would take care of that though. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
$(KGrHqV,!o8F!(9JZhqCBQJ9QlyB-w~~48_20.JPG   $T2eC16VHJHYE9nzpeCqeBQJ9bTcNFg~~48_20.JPG  

$T2eC16ZHJG8E9nyfoTi6BQJ9ZodvNg~~48_20.JPG   $T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFSzjnBQJ9Q5Dblg~~48_20.JPG  

Old 08-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #18

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
Thumbs up

Crackedegg

I think you definitely need to find the source of the water and fix that immediately and do it properly. Also, address any mold issues. After that I'm sure you will have fun making it yours the way you want, in time.
Cheers
Old 08-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #19

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
Thanks yep its windows and hatches. I have to reseal the windows and get new hatches.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #20

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedegg View Post
I like the look but don't have the experience yet for fiberglass. It might be less work or more...?
My current Scamp project has been my first experience with fiberglass. If you are the least bit handy I think you'll find it to be very straight forward. There is a bit of a learning curve - though not too steep - and it can definitely be messy.
-- Google for some fiberglassing how to videos. There are a bunch posted by boaters. West Marine has some helpful tutorials.
-- Buy a big box of plastic gloves.
-- Spend a little more and get a roll of fiberglass tape - instead of the less expensive big sheets found in most auto parts stores. The tape has seamed edges and won't unravel as you try to work with it.
-- Start with something small & non-critical & work your way up.

--I also recommend the West Marine epoxy system as it makes measuring & mixing very easy.