The Pine Cone Update - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #1

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1300 Boler -The Pine Cone
Ontario
Registry
The Pine Cone Update

Hello Folks

Owner of the Pine cone here. Haven't posted for a while now but having a great time reading all the wonderful posts and getting to know some of the personalities on this great forum. We have been very busy doing many upgrades to the Pine Cone while keeping its distinctive knotty pine interior. Here is a list of some of the things we have done. I haven't got any pics as it is in indoor heated storage for the winter. As long as I have it, it will never see snow. Sorry, no wood stove

1. Rewires all running lights and tailights
2. Installed new LED tailights
3. Rewire internal 110 rewirng (still in progress)
4. New toilet
5. Installed and newer converter, monitor and wiring
6. altered outside electrical wall plug for 110 plug
7. Added marine battery , battery box and wiring
8. wired in 3 x 12v cabin lights
9. replace window cranks
10. Installed new new handle locking mechanism
11. added and wired 3 x 110v receptacles
12. recut / installed new table
13. New microwave
14. New coffeepot

15. new aura flooring and trim
16. Installed and wired new license plate light
17. Installed white 7” flip down TV and new TV antenna
18. New sink facets and added hand pump faucet
19. Installed new plumbing to city service outlets and inputs on outside
20. Added internal water container for hand pump
21. Added new 110v mini fridge (compressor type) might upgrade to 2-way

22. Installed external vent for fridge
23. Replace pooched 1200 lb axel with 3500 lb adjustable axel
24. New rims and tires
25. Reinforced frame under dinette for more support
26. Replaced weakened C- channel tongue with closed tubular tongue
27. Replace 1-7/8” ball receiver with 2”
28. New tongue Box
29. New Battery and battery Box
30. New spare tire holder on rear bumper
31. Bought add-a-room
32. Installed 7’ awning rail
33. Installed snaps for add-room
34. Fixed holes made by screws

35. Fixed protruding screws
36. Replace screws holding in ferring with SS with SS weather Guards and marine caulking
37. New Front and Back Lexan Windows
38. New Gravel Guard
39. Made new awning
40. new boler cover
41. wire and installed new porch light and switch
42. new gas grill and gas flip stove
43. New Converter/breaker panel – (to be installed)
44. Installed to new wiring for TV
45. Installed hold downs for microwave and coffee pot
46. Replaced white 7” flip down tv with black 10”
47. Installed stabilizer jacks to frame
48. Replaced window crank and internally resealed windows
49. Fiberglass and gelcoat repair to outside roof body to make water tight.

To Do – over winter 2011/2012.
Satellite wiring – internal/external
Make external Electrical Adapter plugs – Service/generator/Charger
Install New Converter
External CFI plug
Tongue Battery Box Platform
Rewiring new Battery Box
Install External access Doors

As you can see we are truely making it our own and once the wishlist is done it'll be much more comfortable for us. I hope to include some pictures in the spring once complete.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have some parts for sale you may be interested in, 2 hatch covers, external shower, holding tank gauge kit listed here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...des-48723.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wow, you have been busy! I don't think I've done 49 things to my trailer in the nearly 11 years I've owned it. I'll be patient then and look forward to pictures in the Spring?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
You have been busy! I'm looking forward to some camping pictures with the updates in spring!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Wow! i thought that a lot had been done to the Pine Cone before but I'm tired just reading your to-do list.
Will look forward to it's new look.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
As you all know so well, it's an epidemic-like labor of love. Its gets into your blood, so to speak, and gives a great sense of accomplishment to us when others appreciate your efforts. There's nothing like driving down the highway and others passing and staring at your FG trailer. (in a good way). Or being at a camp ground and attracting so much attention. Its really kinda cool.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Smile

As you all know so well, it's an epidemic-like labor of love. Its gets into your blood, so to speak, and gives a great sense of accomplishment to us when others appreciate your efforts. There's nothing like driving down the highway and others passing and staring at your FG trailer. (in a good way). Or being at a camp ground and attracting so much attention. Its really kinda cool.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #8

Ontario
Registry
A couple of photos from the thanksgiving weekend showing the Tongue box , axel, tires and Table etc. As promised i will have more photos in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
updates.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I like the table! I like the other things too, but I get most excited by things that improve the looks of the campers.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Can you clarify what item #36 is...is it the rivets & caps?

Geez, I'd be happy if I could get one Blessed Thing done on my EGGIE! Look at you go, Noel...makes my head spin!

I'm going to be attacking my old rivet heads...need to be resealed and little plastic caps to cover them up. Is this what you did? Should I be using marine caulking to hold the plastic cap onto the trailer, covering the rivet?

If this is what you did, please go over it slowly and in great detail.
Thank you SO MUCH!
Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #11

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler
Geez, I'd be happy if I could get one Blessed Thing done on my EGGIE! Look at you go, Noel...makes my head spin!

I'm going to be attacking my old rivet heads...need to be resealed and little plastic caps to cover them up. Is this what you did? Should I be using marine caulking to hold the plastic cap onto the trailer, covering the rivet?

If this is what you did, please go over it slowly and in great detail.
Thank you SO MUCH!
Barbara
Item 36 are stainless steel roofing screws with weather guards which and washers with rubber for sealing around the hole. Each of these hole where first sealed with caulk and then drivin in. No nuts on inside. This is holding the beams (ferring) that the pine is screwed to on the inside. I hope this is clear enough.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #12

Ontario
Registry
A few Mods. update

We needed more space for our clothes etc. So a decision to make a dresser in the front of our boler was made. The space that was mainly an unused sitting area. I am not a Carpenter, so please be gentle. I think it works fine for us now. We can load all our clothes in the boler for the time we are away instead of packing suitcases and leaving in the tug.

We also decided to install our small microwave over the wheel with a small drawer under it.
We/I installed a smev sink and New larger NovaKool R3100, 12V fridge (inset behind a door). this is a great space saver unit as it not very deep.
I also installed the new converter and changed all the wiring to 12V. this worked out awesome. The existing 110V fixtures became 12v fixtures by installing 12V lights in them and wiring 12V direct to the converter.

12v MAXXFAX 7000 was the best and first install of the year . I love this fan. I highly recommended it for those looking to install a powervent.

These mods are really great for us although some these may not fit everyones taste. I figured you may want to see how some of these where done for ideas.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
DRESSER.JPG   IMG_1100.jpg  

IMG_1146.jpg   IMG_1207.jpg  

IMG_1204.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
if you put a chain on each side, you could then use it as a desk for your computer
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #14

Name: Graeme
Trailer: Boler 1700 '79
Ontario
Where are you located?

Love to see your work in person where are you located? I'm in Ottawa. I just bought a Boler 1700 yesterday.
Crackedegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #15

Ontario
Registry
Hi Cpaharley, thats a great idea. I will consider that.
Hi Crackedegg, Congrats on your new ownership, Post pics!
I'm in St.Thomas, by London Ontario. I can only take credit for a small part of the woodwork in my boler. The majority of the work was done by another very talented member of this group before I purchased it. Every minute i spend on "The Pine Cone" is very rewarding in many ways. Ex: It's very calming after a rough day at work. It's going in for a professional Interlux brightside body and paint job first week of September. When I had some screw holes and and gel coat touched up, the gentleman doing the work informed me that I didn't have much gelcoat left to work with since it is a '72. So I made the decision to paint. It will be all one colour, a cool off-white. I'm really stoked about this. This week its installing a bigger 19" TV with a swing mount involving a rewire. Should be fun!
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #16

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Cool looking trailer. Nice woodwork.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #17

Ontario
I love the woodwork inside. I'm not sure what to do yet with mine yet. I do woodworking and have my own shop to do work(can't fit the egg in though). I saw Siris takes out the cabs etc and fiberglasses them and paints. I like the look but don't have the experience yet for fiberglass. It might be less work or more...? My egg has had some water in it but not alot. There is a certain funkiness to the smell inside. I know fiberglassing it would take care of that though. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
$(KGrHqV,!o8F!(9JZhqCBQJ9QlyB-w~~48_20.JPG   $T2eC16VHJHYE9nzpeCqeBQJ9bTcNFg~~48_20.JPG  

$T2eC16ZHJG8E9nyfoTi6BQJ9ZodvNg~~48_20.JPG   $T2eC16dHJF0E9nmFSzjnBQJ9Q5Dblg~~48_20.JPG  

Old 08-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
Thumbs up

Crackedegg

I think you definitely need to find the source of the water and fix that immediately and do it properly. Also, address any mold issues. After that I'm sure you will have fun making it yours the way you want, in time.
Cheers
Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #19

Ontario
Thanks yep its windows and hatches. I have to reseal the windows and get new hatches.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #20

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedegg View Post
I like the look but don't have the experience yet for fiberglass. It might be less work or more...?
My current Scamp project has been my first experience with fiberglass. If you are the least bit handy I think you'll find it to be very straight forward. There is a bit of a learning curve - though not too steep - and it can definitely be messy.
-- Google for some fiberglassing how to videos. There are a bunch posted by boaters. West Marine has some helpful tutorials.
-- Buy a big box of plastic gloves.
-- Spend a little more and get a roll of fiberglass tape - instead of the less expensive big sheets found in most auto parts stores. The tape has seamed edges and won't unravel as you try to work with it.
-- Start with something small & non-critical & work your way up.

--I also recommend the West Marine epoxy system as it makes measuring & mixing very easy.
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote