The Quantum grows up... - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Hershal Byrd's Avatar
 
Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel and 24 ft Coachman 5th Wheel
Posts: 13
Post

Hi all,
I thought that some of you folks would enjoy seeing the quantum with it's new shoes on.
A week after Kent brought her down I went and lifted it by putting the axles on the bottom of the springs and adding a 1" spacer. I also added 15"wheels. All of this just so that I'm able to tow it with my Dodge 2500 diesel. Eventually when I complete the restoration it will be returned to it's normal height. I kinda like it this way though.
The photo shows the truck having a very small amount of clearance between the bed sides and the bottom of the camper. This has been fixed by new lower profile tires for the truck. (needed new tires anyway). also the pin box will be made adjustable.

Hersh
Attached Thumbnails
Quantum_hooked_to_dodge.jpg   Quantum_hooked_to_Dodge_2.jpg  

__________________

__________________
Hershal Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #2
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Is there enough clearance between truck box and trailer bed for going over Dips or Speed Bumps?
It looks close...

I don't know about Phoenix, but they have some MOUNTAINOUS Speed Bumps here, trying to controll the lifted monster trucks....
I high centered my Geo Metro on one...
__________________

__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Hershal Byrd's Avatar
 
Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel and 24 ft Coachman 5th Wheel
Posts: 13
Post

Quote:
Is there enough clearance [b]between truck box and trailer bed for going over Dips or Speed Bumps?
It looks close...

I don't know about Phoenix, but they have some MOUNTAINOUS Speed Bumps here, trying to controll the lifted monster trucks....
I high centered my Geo Metro on one...
Hi Frederick,
Did you read the last paragraph ? I have since fixed that issue and there is no problems with speed bumps. I also tow a 24' coachman fifth wheel with this truck and I made sure that the same clearance was available on the quantum. The quantum having tandum axles offers great stability especially with a fifth wheel hitch and being only 17' long. I will post another picture with the proper clearance.

I probably should have waited and taken newer pictures before posting.

Hersh
__________________
Hershal Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
CliveAlive's Avatar
 
Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Posts: 562
Registry
Very nice rig, Hersch.

Please keep the pics coming.

However, don't you think the lines of the Quantum would be better reflected with a Chevy truck
__________________
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Hershal Byrd's Avatar
 
Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel and 24 ft Coachman 5th Wheel
Posts: 13
Yeah Clive,
You're probably right but all I have is this junkie old Dodge.
My brother has a new Chevy truck. maybe I'll trade him.
The only reason I have the quantum set up higher is so that I can tow it
when I move. My house is up for sale and I'm out of here as soon as this place sells.
Then once I'm settle in my new place I can start a full restoration on the Quantum.

Hersh
__________________
Hershal Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,815
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Yeah Clive,
You're probably right but all I have is this junkie old Dodge.
My brother has a new Chevy truck. maybe I'll trade him.
The only reason I have the quantum set up higher is so that I can tow it
when I move. My house is up for sale and I'm out of here as soon as this place sells.
Then once I'm settle in my new place I can start a full restoration on the Quantum.

Hersh
Hi: Nice modification but being a Bolermania I just don't understand... a Dodge junkie doing Quantum Physics and then looking for a shover lot pickup??? Personally my dream 5th. might be a 19' Scamp and a Quad Dakota Tug$$$ Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Hershal Byrd's Avatar
 
Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel and 24 ft Coachman 5th Wheel
Posts: 13
Quote:
Hi: Nice modification but being a Bolermania I just don't understand... a Dodge junkie doing Quantum Physics and then looking for a shover lot pickup??? Personally my dream 5th. might be a 19' Scamp and a Quad Dakota Tug$$$ Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Somehow I get the feeling I'm not communicating here very well. If I'm writing in an offensive or iritating manor then I apologise to you all. It is not my intention to anger
anyone.

Alf says...."a Dodge junkie doing Quantum Physics and then looking for a shover lot pickup???
Alf, I'm sorry but I didn't get this at all but that's not unusual....alot of stuff goes
over my head. I have little or no wit at all. Never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Hersh
__________________
Hershal Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Hi Frederick,
Did you read the last paragraph ?

I have done some things with my trailer in the past that have actually caused some damage. I was just reacting to the photo...
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jeanne and Steve's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Posts: 454
Registry
Hershal,

We love seeing the work you're doing on your Quantum 5 and anxiously await more photos as your work continues. Thanks for keeping us abreast of your activities! Your postings are clear and imformative. I think many of us on the forum feel a special attachment to your trailer, and are overjoyed to see it get the care it deserves.

best wishes!
Jeanne
__________________
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,815
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Somehow I get the feeling I'm not communicating here very well. If I'm writing in an offensive or iritating manor then I apologise to you all. It is not my intention to anger
anyone.

Alf says...."a Dodge junkie doing Quantum Physics and then looking for a shover lot pickup???
Alf, I'm sorry but I didn't get this at all but that's not unusual....alot of stuff goes
over my head. I have little or no wit at all. Never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Hersh
Hi: Just my warped sense of humour... Canadian Eh!!! Nothing to do with your manner I am a Boler Junkie using a Ford to tug with, so I guess I shouldn't talk so loud... Going to my room now...Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Hershal Byrd's Avatar
 
Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel and 24 ft Coachman 5th Wheel
Posts: 13
Post

Today I hooked the Quantum up to the Dodge Pickup and hauled it around to see how everything was working. This little trailer hauled so well that you can't believe it. It manuvers with ease backing and tight turning. What a great little package.
Frederick, I took some more photos of the clearance issues with the bedrails. as you can see the clearance is within a safe margin. I truly am sorry if my post offended. My wife read your post and she thought my response was a bit sharp. If she thought that then I know my posting was not in proper form. I don't believe I have ever been on a more friendlyier board than this on. I like so much the way all of you folks share and help each other. So Frederick please don't be sore at me.
Alf, now I get it !. See! I told ya, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to wit.
Jeanne, I will do my best to keep all informed of the progress I make on the Quantum.
The best is yet to come. I too have a special place in my heart for this little trailer. I am still researching the history and I have found some very interesting things about it. I will share when the total picture becomes clearer.

Hersh
Attached Thumbnails
Quantum_bedrail_clearance_6.5_inches.jpg   Clearance_6.5_inches.jpg  

__________________
Hershal Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
Member
 
Yves Pelchat's Avatar
 
Name: Yves
Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Quebec
Posts: 94
Quote:
Hi all,
I thought that some of you folks would enjoy seeing the quantum with it's new shoes on.
A week after Kent brought her down I went and lifted it by putting the axles on the bottom of the springs and adding a 1" spacer. I also added 15"wheels. All of this just so that I'm able to tow it with my Dodge 2500 diesel. Eventually when I complete the restoration it will be returned to it's normal height. I kinda like it this way though.
The photo shows the truck having a very small amount of clearance between the bed sides and the bottom of the camper. This has been fixed by new lower profile tires for the truck. (needed new tires anyway). also the pin box will be made adjustable.

Hersh
The Quantum is gorgeous!!

Yves.
__________________
Yves Pelchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
Frederick please don't be sore at me.
No offense taken.
You were quite right that I had paid more attention to your photograph than I had to your narrative. How often do I look right at something and not see it?
(This is a purely rhetorical question!)
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I too have a special place in my heart for this little trailer.
Congratulations on all of your work!
I especially like to see someone who cares for their unique treasures!
__________________

__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
quantum


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quantum 5 fifth wheel Brenda Clark Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 11 01-17-2013 03:50 AM
Quantum 5 Fifth Wheeler Harold Dean General Chat 0 05-09-2008 01:32 PM
Quantum 5th wheel Richard L Paquette Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 09-23-2007 10:00 AM
Quantum 5th Wheeler? Legacy Posts General Chat 14 05-19-2003 08:37 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.