There's a hole in my Boler my Boler my Boler - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #181

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Love the under cabinet drawer! Your choice of flooring is wise, Practicle and adds extra insulation. Good job!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:06 AM   #182

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Well it's time to get ready to point the Boler south again!!! YA HOO
Makin a few more changes but nothing big. Changed out the stock
1 3/4 receiver for a 2 incher. Cut the old one off, sectioned and welded in a piece of 2x3 tubing then bolted the receiver to it.
Going to raise the trailer 2 inches to help level out the tug and toad cause I put air bags in the back of the van.
Crawled around under the trailer inspecting the frame, fittings and wiring, not a hairline crack or anything to be found. Pretty amazing considering it's age and the mileage this Boler has seen!
Found a few loose fasteners, fixed a small leak in the window above the stove, another new roof vent(they're not much for quality)and had to reseal the right rear Jalousie(?) window.
Trying to come up with a tidy way to hold the jalousie windows closed while traveling. I think most of the reason for the cranks wearing is that the windows are constantly trying to flap in the wind wearing the crank gears.

We may be delayed getting away this year, may not even be able to go,,,,, Marilyn had a small operation this fall and isn't healing just right,,
but we are planning for the best!!
Attached Thumbnails
S3000002 (2).jpg  
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:00 AM   #183

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Fred, just a thought to your windows. I use a small bungie cord around the roof vent "L" crank handle as the wind I get here while it's parked tends to raise the lid to full open. With a round handle you may have to drill a small hole in it to accept the hook end. Just a thought for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #184

Registry
Thanks Dave, our vent just has a small thumb screw so a hole will be required.
Dave, I've often wondered if your in Borrego Springs Ca.
We went there this past march for lunch from O'side just to check it out.
I always think it's so amazing, the change from the beach to the desert in such a short distance.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #185

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post

We may be delayed getting away this year, may not even be able to go,,,,, Marilyn had a small operation this fall and isn't healing just right,,
but we are planning for the best!!
And here is hoping all the best for you getting on the road to points sunny and south.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #186

Registry
This post is just to link another thread that has a mod I did to use the front rock guard as an awning.
Just tryin to keep stuff together.
Fred
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-40083.html
Old 10-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #187

Registry
Well I just dragged the boler into the garage for another round of mods today. Getting it ready for another winter get away, may try the desert this year.
Plan to reinforce the frame under the door, no cracks but the door opening is different from sitting on it's wheels to sitting on stands so something is moving. Thinking about roll and tipping a paint job on it. May mount the upper kitchen cabinet with fiberglas and remove the bolts and make a cover for the propane/spare tire for starters.

I grabbed my angle grinder with a ZIP disk and cut up this old truck canopy for starters, material for the front cover.
A zip disk is a little dusty but accurate, fast cuts, and as the pics show I did a lot of cutting!
Couple a hours and it's starting to look like something.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG3297.jpg   IMG3299.jpg  

IMG3300.jpg   IMG3301.jpg  

Old 10-10-2017, 11:59 PM   #188

California
Exlnt Fred, I've mentioned here before of using camper shells window cutouts for building new stuff or mods. I've done a lot of changes on my FG dune buggy using cutouts. Sure makes it a lot easier starting with the flat work already done. Love how you used the shells rise angles . BTW, what desert(s) are you thinking of?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #189

Registry
hey Dave, well maybe I got the idea from you. I've been holding on to this canopy for a couple years now after I sold the truck it was on.
Pretty happy with the way the angles are working out.
We are looking at Elcentro at the moment but haven't booked anything yet.
Also that spot in Borrego with the antique trailers for rent.
So many want you to book in and out at the beginning of the month,, doesn't work for us so that will have a bearing on where we end up.
Fred
Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #190

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
amazing

fred has anyone ever told you you are amazing?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #191

Registry
Thanks Bob, when I hear something like that I expect to be asked to do something for my special someone (of 45 years coming up on the 28th),,, lol
I put the boler a couple feet in the air so I could inspect the frame around the door closely and can't find any cracking or weak spot but the door shifts about 1/2 an inch in it's opening from resting on it's wheels to sitting on jack stands front and rear. I'm sure the frame is flexing under the door opening so I plan to reinforce that area with additional material.
On the front cover, once I'm happy with the fit of the pieces I'll simply double cut the overlapping panels as I would with wallpaper.
Once I finish looking at this stuff and start doing something I'll post more pics,, lol
Fred
Old 10-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #192

Missouri
plug

fred I mean it your are an amazing person to not only do this but come up with those fantastic ideas.

I do not know where you guys come up with such talents! I know how I just can say it!

best of continued luck

bob
Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #193

Registry
Well a combination of busy with other stuff and a bit lazy didn't get much done till the last couple days.
Thought I'd throw up the process go through to make this thing stay together.
The first pic shows how I hold pieces together till it is glassed then tape it to stop any resin from flowing through. Flip it over and grind off the screw ends rough the surface and put a couple coats glas on the joints. After it dries remove the tape, screw heads and pieces of wood. As you can see other than paying attention to the fit of the joints the rest of the work can be pretty quick and sloppy as non of it will show in the end.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG3315.jpg   IMG3316.jpg  

IMG3329.jpg   IMG3327.jpg  

IMG3328.jpg   IMG3330.jpg  

IMG3331.jpg  
Old 11-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #194

Registry
This little fiberglass project is taking on a character all its own!!
In other news I have the boler almost ready for paint, I have ordered a gallon of 4359 Brightside white. Actually looking forward to this roll and tip project.
I have a renewed excitement to get the boler done as we have booked a couple of months away from the white stuff and leaving Jan1/18!!
Fred
Thought I'd edit the post to show how I set in the handles,,(eyes) of the project.
Plastic doesn't stick to fiberglass so I just made the holes the size of the mixing cup and then glassed the inside of the cover, removed the mixing bowl and done. This isn't he first time I used the mixing bowl on the trailer, It's also the way I got the clearance lights " frenched" into the body as the lights fit into the hole almost perfect,,,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG3335.jpg   IMG3332.jpg  

IMG3333.jpg  
Old 12-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #195

Registry
Changed out the stock jack because it was mounted on the side of the frame rail and that wouldn't work with cover I'm putting on the tongue. I had to mod this one because it was too low and wanted to be able to put a wheel under it.
In the pic you can also see the aluminum angle that is mounted to the bottom of the rail, this is for the cover to rest in.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #196

California
Really taking shape now Fred. Funny, I've used a number of things like your lid idea to form up voids and such in concrete. Never thought of doing it with FG work. Think I might stea....er, borrow your idea .
Old 12-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #197

Missouri
some people

some people here are amazing with their self-learned abilities!!

bob
Old 12-04-2017, 01:10 AM   #198

Registry
Well found a small crack on the drivers side frame rail on the bend at the front of the cabin so I plated the bottom and inside of rail at the crack.

Also reinforced under the door opening by adding a piece of channel iron under the door and tubing up from it at longer angles. I forgot to take before pics but the door hardly moves in the opening regardless if it's on it's wheels or jacks.

Everything down there is covered in fresh black Tremclad paint now!
Fred
Old 12-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #199

Missouri
fred is this your welding work?

bob
Old 12-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #200

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
fred is this your welding work?

bob
LOL,, YES SIR!
What my welding lacks in appearance I make up for with volume.
Fred

Tags
boler