Thinkin about a tv for kids,,pics please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #21

Name: Dee
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
We use a computer for all our entertainment needs, desktop at home, laptop when we travel. Plays DVDs and saved youtube programs on the road and the screen is fairly large. Laptop is compact, runs on a battery, can charge it by starting up the car and plugging it in, in a pinch. The computer serves other purposes as well, we can use Skype as a phone if we take it with us into McDonalds, some towns even have free wifi downtown, just park. We do pay as you go with cell phones, so Skype with free wifi is cheaper and easy.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Yes, they are a "bit" heavy and bulky so would not work for those who have other members along. I take it with me only occasionally if I expect there to be extended down time in the evenings. I installed a 300 watt inverter just for it, and surprisingly, with so many moving parts, it doesn't use much juice from the battery. I half expected it to be about as bad as a 12v frig.

They were commercial grade as they were used mostly for trade show demonstrations, etc. so the picture quality is as good as just about any current TV system.

They did have a 12v cord option but I probably won't ever find one of those.

VHS is going to make a comeback, just wait and see!!
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

But for me it's way too heavy and bulky to travel with. With four people in a Scamp 13, where would we put it? And it requires AC power. We've been camping in the Scamp over three years now without ever hooking up to electricity.
I found that using the portable DVD player or laptop to watch movies with more than 2 people a problem - small screen - someone always turning it this way and that, to see, making it hard to watch. Put it up on the counter and its at high risk of getting knocked off with people coming and going in a small trailer, thus the reason for the flat screen mounted up and out of the way. The newer ones do not use as much power as you might think. A small inverter and solar power works well.

Having said that my new to me trailer I picked up last week has a new 19" flat screen TV with built in DVD that is 12 Volt.

You are lucky BTW in that the area you live has lots of BLM camping spots to hang out in so you are able to camp in areas without power more frequently than some of us living in areas where such areas are a bit more out of the way and very difficult if not impossible to get into pulling a trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
All true, Carol. We have two kids and the small screen is just right for them to sprawl out on the bed and watch. Their taste in entertainment is different that ours anyway, and rainy days are a lot rarer down here in the Southwest.

In spite of the abundant BLM land, you won't find us there, though. My wife says flush toilets and hot showers nearby or she stays home... We stay at no hookup sites at state and county parks.

Did you say new trailer??? You sly dog! Congratulations!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #25

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Having said that my new to me trailer I picked up last week .......

And exactly WHEN are we going to see pictures? You go girl!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #26

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighth001 View Post
With our 4 and 5 yr Olds we bought a pair of over the back of the seat DVD players for the car. We only put them in on trips. They came with AC adapters also. So I just leave that in the camper and move one of the players to the camper when we get where we're going.
Oh my goodness! We have the same set up for LONG trips, but it never occurred to me that we could use them in the camper should we encounter a rainy day that keeps us indoors and the books and board games lose their magic Love getting new ideas! Thank you!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have noticed that many flat screen televisions use a 12 VDC power supply. Just read the power brick. I used this method to put a flat screen in my travel van.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Did you say new trailer??? You sly dog! Congratulations!
LOL went to Napa California last week to enjoy some sunshine and wine.... no sunshine just more rain than we have had all winter in Vancouver, BC but they have good wine! Drank some and decided I liked the rivets in my Scamp so much I should buy a trailer with more of them Spent 5 days towing it home in the rain along the coast #1 highway watching the amazing wave action created by the storm all the way up the coast. Very cool.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL went to Napa California last week to enjoy some sunshine and wine.... no sunshine just more rain than we have had all winter in Vancouver, BC but they have good wine! Drank some and decided I liked the rivets in my Scamp so much I should buy a trailer with more of them Spent 5 days towing it home in the rain along the coast #1 highway watching the amazing wave action created by the storm all the way up the coast. Very cool.
More rivets? I see you now have a 22' Airstream in your profile You know you're always welcome to join us at a NOG, right?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:13 PM   #30
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
22' AIRSTREAM
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:14 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

And exactly WHEN are we going to see pictures? You go girl!
LOL I did not want to post any as it is SOB and I did not what the off topic police to blast off !!! But seeing as its YOU who asked I can blame you for my indiscretion! do not have much to offer in regards to pictures so far only took a couple on the trip home.

BTW I am like you having a hard time with the idea of selling the Scamp due to all the good memories attached to it. Good thing the driveway is big enough to hold both trailers and a vehicle or two But if I keep the Scamp I have to keep the house which wasn't part of the long term plan which involves less yard work and more travel .... decisions, decisions.....
Attached Thumbnails
AS Picturer 1 calf-1842.jpg  
Old 03-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #32

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Wait a minute! That's not...... Just kidding!

Congrats on the new arrival!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #33

Registry
Thanks guys for the comments re new trailer. Did I mention I LOVE rivets!

Back on topic.

There are currently a number of manufactures making 12 volt TV's (some with built in DVD) I saw a 32" 12V LED INSIGNIA at BestBuy not so long ago. Most of the others seem to be in the 19" range.