Thinkin about a tv for kids,,pics please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13ft Scamp
Wisconsin
Thinkin about a tv for kids,,pics please

Looking for options for location and size for a tv for the kids to watch before bed.
Any pics would be great of others setup and size.
Thanks
Mcmarkrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
TV size

Not a scamp, but I'm pretty happy with this 24" and the Premier FLIP mount.
Attached Thumbnails
24TV.JPG  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #3

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I use books-on-tape or actual books to put my Grandkids to sleep when we're camping....as if they have any energy left over after the activities of the day!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you don't have room for a television, grab a book and read to the kids. Voice inflection for the different characters, etc. Soothing voice and the entire family will fall asleep! Televisions are great. I fall asleep (with the TV on a timer) nearly every night. But a good/decent book can do the same thing. It's about relaxing....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The TV in our CT13 Uhaul sets on a cutting board over the sink, can be turned in any direction. We don't use the sink.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can get a portable 7" or 9" DVD player for $80 ( and probably cheaper in U.S. and on Amazon ).
If the kids are under six years old, you only have to carry one DVD and they'll watch it over and over.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
[QUOTE=Donna D.;442223]If you don't have room for a television, grab a book and read to the kids. Voice inflection for the different characters, etc. Soothing voice and the entire family will fall asleep!

Excellent advice Donna.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #8

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Can't help at all with this question. One of the best things about camping for us is - getting away from canned entertainment.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #9

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Out door activities will tire them out, and a book and storyteller is Great advice. However on a rainy day...A child's DVD might be a very good thing!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My new Escape 5er... is gonna have TWO televisions. I'm not sure if I'll connect to the outside world to check the current news. BUT, I will have a DVD player. (bought 49 DVDs on eBay... the ENTIRE Star Trek Next Generation series!). I'm a single traveler. Someday my granddaugher will join me. She had BETTER be a Star Trek fan ). Who should I be to tell you how to entertain yourself or your guests? Never.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
This is what we use.
The brand is Polaroid.
It has a built-in DVD player.
Draw back on this is the volume isn't
always loud enough on some of the DVDs.
I have a collection of over 300 DVDs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0506.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	68327

Name:	DSCN0507.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	68328

Name:	DSCN1058.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	68329
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
There are no lack of TV threads here and a little searching will yield many ideas?

The question is really the same for a TV in a house and there are as many answers here as there would be for the house so look around and become inspired!

Some here find a 7" Screen to be fine and others a computer doing the job. Some only seem satisfied with a 32" set shoehorned in with a full surround system.

Anything is just fine if that is what you like.

On the other hand......what makes people answer a question like this with editorial comments about the virtues of TV watching anyway?!?!?!

I am with Donna here,who am I to question the motive and purity of reason behind anyones choice of entertainment while camping?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Mine is on a swing arm mounted on the closet wall the vcr is in the closet.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I'm just a Kid at heart and found TV to much trouble to deal with unless you have cable so I have chosen the route of DVD player. Mine is a 9 inch RCA model. I have used it for my camping trips all last year and actually enjoy the hunt for Used DVD's during my camping excursions. I enjoy all the SCI-FY stuff.
As for real kids they dont need TV you just stuff them with Marshmellows, Hershey bars, and Ghram crackers untill they pass out.

RCA 9" Portable DVD Player - Black (DRC96090) : Target Mobile
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Having camped with children on the wet coast I can tell you after a few real wet days having a DVD player and a TV can be a life saver - especially as by night fall they have gone through all the board games etc.

Here is a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0030.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #16

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
With our 4 and 5 yr Olds we bought a pair of over the back of the seat DVD players for the car. We only put them in on trips. They came with AC adapters also. So I just leave that in the camper and move one of the players to the camper when we get where we're going.

We primarily use the DVD to entertain them in the morning... They get up so early and I'm saving our fellow campers a few winks in the morning by keeping them quiet inside for a bit.

also is handy on rainy days. Can only do so much in a 13ft with 2 adults, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. And we like to use it some ourselves on rare occasions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #17

Name: lisa
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
I envision a clamp-on, extension arm that would attach a flat screen to the vertical, wrought iron bars to the left of the sink in my 2015, 13 foot scamp. Any ideas where I can find such a thing?
Lkeoghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What's the good of a regular TV unless you will always have AC power? If it's only about emergency entertainment for kids on a rainy day, how about an inexpensive 12V portable DVD player? Or a tablet with some content pre-loaded? You don't need a very big screen in a tiny trailer. Keep it simple.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
DVD's are fine when home, but hey, let's not forget that state-of-the-art entertainment center called the portable TV/VCR system. It took me quite a while to track one down and it cost all of $5, including the remote, at Goodwill, but worth every penny!

I can roll into any town with a flea market or garage sale while traveling and pick up a stack of classic movies ever produced on VHs for all of a dollar a pop, or less. One exception being when I laid out $20, TWENTY DOLLARS for a new old stock (NOS) copy of the movie "The Train" starring Burt Lancaster with the train load of art in Nazi-occupied France. That French train engineer should have received an Oscar for the way he played his role.

Casablanca, Faulty Towers, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Godfather, Three Stooges, Little Rascals, Walt Disney, etc., I've got them all and when done they get dropped off again at Goodwill.

Huh, take that you techie snobs (not that I am being judgemental!).
Attached Thumbnails
RCA Portable TV-VCR.jpg  
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not a snob… We still have one of those at home. It still works and we use it occasionally to watch some good old movies.

But for me it's way too heavy and bulky to travel with. With four people in a Scamp 13, where would we put it? And it requires AC power. We've been camping in the Scamp over three years now without ever hooking up to electricity.

Besides, I hardly think a portable 12V DVD player counts as high tech any more- they're becoming almost as obsolete as TV/VCR combos!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote