thinking of total redo of "kitchen" in 13 foot vintage Scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #29

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
I'm thanking about removing the heavy LP bottle on the front of my 13' Scamp, removing the two-burner stove, and using this very cheap Chinese one-burner butane stove for all my cooking needs.
Bill
You are on the right track! I just ditched the 3 burner in my 1986 scamp 16 deluxe. The added counter space and weight savings is WAY worth it.
Also I hated that burner. Having to light it manually was ridiculous, and that was compounded by the fact that if you so much as twitched on the valve trying to slightly lower the flame it would go out. It seemed like only 5% of the total amount you could turn the valve resulted in a usable adjustment. It was either out, or max.

In my opinion this is the best butane stove for the job! It's light, compact, and has all of the safety features of the larger steel units.
New Portable Single Burner Butane Gas Camping Stove Tabletop Stove Aluminium New | eBay

I love this thing. It has a regulator in it so it doesn't make a big yellow fireball if you move it while it's on.
I also have one of these;
Etekcity® Portable Card Type Camping Butane Stove Chef Gas Canisters Burner New | eBay

And while I do like it and would bring it in a backpack or on my dual sport bike... it does NOT have a regulator, and it DOES make a huge 2 foot fireball if you so much as look at it sideways.

I actually added a stainless steel braided line to my LP in the trailer and hooked it up with an adapter so I can run these little stoves on the propane from the trailer OR the butane.

This is the adapter you need to do what I did.
New G Works Multi Gas Adapter Duralumin 55g Screw Type Butane to Cylinder | eBay

You could go with a single small 10lb propane bottle as it would still be much cheaper than the butane. I carry 2 20lb tanks and about 6 butane bottles.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:12 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
[QUOTE=KenjiFox;.
Also I hated that burner. Having to light it manually was ridiculous, and that was compounded by the fact that if you so much as twitched on the valve trying to slightly lower the flame it would go out. It seemed like only 5% of the total amount you could turn the valve resulted in a usable adjustment. It was either out, or max. [/QUOTE]

Glad you found a stove you like but it sure sounds like the old one needed a good cleaning and adjustment....just saying.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:27 AM   #31

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Na, it was just terrible by design. The max flame size was also quite pathetic. It was/is (still have it) in like new condition. There are no functional stops on the gas valves though, so it just goes out if you try and lower it.
Also, manual light. Nope.jpg
Old 05-13-2015, 01:42 AM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
That's strange, not really having stops, never heard of that before. Wonder if any other Scamp owners with that era rig had the same problems. The flame adjustment on my BBQ doesn't have much of a difference which is OK with me cuz I cook to well done anyway but the flame stays on

Tags
scamp, vin