thinking of total redo of "kitchen" in 13 foot vintage Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #21

Name: Elly
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Discussions like this string are what make this site so invaluable, and especially to us newbies. My (mental) list of things NOT to do in my little FGRV is longer than the other one, but I appreciate all the safety information. Looking forward to meeting some of you at a nearby gathering in the near future.
TX Barngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I think one of the keys to any major rebuild/remodel, is to plan everything out before you begin, and don't make any impulse purchases before this plan is done. This way you will limit glitches along the way. If you have everything planned before you make your first purchase, you will not only end up with a more organized project, you will not mistakenly order wrong items, ones that just won't work.

Too often, the excitement of getting going sees people buying stuff that either won't work, or the workaround to make it usable is harder than needed be.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #23

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
Ian, can I see more pics? I am loving that changed floor plan

Jim, yep you are right, luckily I have a husband who (does most of the heavy lifting) keeps me controlled. Then at the end of a project I make him crazy about the finish work!

TX Barngirl....agreed this sight is so GREAT

To all. Thanks bunches
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #24

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
Ian, just found your site with pica and information.....very helpful

tX Barngirl...check Ian's site out
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
Ian, can I see more pics? I am loving that changed floor plan
Here is the link to the thread on this forum
It Started as a Kitchen Reno- Project Boler

And here is the link to the build article on my website
“Buttercup” how we built our custom Boler
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #26

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought a Ikea Fyndig sink for the SS drain pan on the side.

size - 27 1/2 x 19 5/8
Also available without the side drain pan:

Both come with the strainer/drain.
I go the larger one for $39.00 at the store in Atlanta.
I also got this dohickey as well (or at least my wife did)
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #27

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Steve how do/what do you do if on a long road trip and your just stopping for a few zzz's in a rest stop or such and want a cup of tea? or a quick cup of soap?
Carol, that is the downside of our set up - it's less convenient while on the go. We'll sometimes setup on a picnic table while traveling, but more often we just forgo hot food - or duck into fast food joint.

(By the way - I swore off drinking soap - it make me bubble)
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #28

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Not that it would possibly work in the OP Scamp's new kitchen design, however, I'm thanking about removing the heavy LP bottle on the front of my 13' Scamp, removing the two-burner stove, and using this very cheap Chinese one-burner butane stove for all my cooking needs. The stoves can be mounted in place with a couple of screws from underneath.

The stove's cost about $16.00, and the fuel canisters are available in most Asian food markets, and now large sporting stores. I've used these stoves on sailboats for many years, and they work great.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/image...cartridges.JPG

Only the 8 oz canisters work in these stoves.

Just a thought about keeping things simple.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #29

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
I'm thanking about removing the heavy LP bottle on the front of my 13' Scamp, removing the two-burner stove, and using this very cheap Chinese one-burner butane stove for all my cooking needs.
Bill
You are on the right track! I just ditched the 3 burner in my 1986 scamp 16 deluxe. The added counter space and weight savings is WAY worth it.
Also I hated that burner. Having to light it manually was ridiculous, and that was compounded by the fact that if you so much as twitched on the valve trying to slightly lower the flame it would go out. It seemed like only 5% of the total amount you could turn the valve resulted in a usable adjustment. It was either out, or max.

In my opinion this is the best butane stove for the job! It's light, compact, and has all of the safety features of the larger steel units.
New Portable Single Burner Butane Gas Camping Stove Tabletop Stove Aluminium New | eBay

I love this thing. It has a regulator in it so it doesn't make a big yellow fireball if you move it while it's on.
I also have one of these;
Etekcity® Portable Card Type Camping Butane Stove Chef Gas Canisters Burner New | eBay

And while I do like it and would bring it in a backpack or on my dual sport bike... it does NOT have a regulator, and it DOES make a huge 2 foot fireball if you so much as look at it sideways.

I actually added a stainless steel braided line to my LP in the trailer and hooked it up with an adapter so I can run these little stoves on the propane from the trailer OR the butane.

This is the adapter you need to do what I did.
New G Works Multi Gas Adapter Duralumin 55g Screw Type Butane to Cylinder | eBay

You could go with a single small 10lb propane bottle as it would still be much cheaper than the butane. I carry 2 20lb tanks and about 6 butane bottles.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:12 AM   #30

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=KenjiFox;.
Also I hated that burner. Having to light it manually was ridiculous, and that was compounded by the fact that if you so much as twitched on the valve trying to slightly lower the flame it would go out. It seemed like only 5% of the total amount you could turn the valve resulted in a usable adjustment. It was either out, or max. [/QUOTE]

Glad you found a stove you like but it sure sounds like the old one needed a good cleaning and adjustment....just saying.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:27 AM   #31

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Na, it was just terrible by design. The max flame size was also quite pathetic. It was/is (still have it) in like new condition. There are no functional stops on the gas valves though, so it just goes out if you try and lower it.
Also, manual light. Nope.jpg
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
That's strange, not really having stops, never heard of that before. Wonder if any other Scamp owners with that era rig had the same problems. The flame adjustment on my BBQ doesn't have much of a difference which is OK with me cuz I cook to well done anyway but the flame stays on
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, vin