thinking of total redo of "kitchen" in 13 foot vintage Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
thinking of total redo of "kitchen" in 13 foot vintage Scamp

I was about to sell our Scamp after last week. But there is so much I love about it and my husband is finally really happy with his modifications that have made towing and set up a breeze. We love our solar and all is pretty good. I hate the cooking facilities. You have two 'pissy' little burners that take up more space than one burner would and then a sink you can't put a dinner plate in.

I am about to suggest to husband that we pull the entire kitchen area and put in a "small", but huge by Scamp standards, single stainless steel sink and retrofit an indoor single burner propane burner. Not such a huge thing as to be a safety hazard, but would like more flame than what we presently have. We never use both burners anyway. Might install this burner so it is easily removed for outdoor cooking.

We don't have hot water and will add a tankless stystem.
We only have an icebox and I don't love it. We have thought about a 3 fridge, but also looked at these coolers that keep food 30 degrees cooler than outside. This cooler/fridge, whatever, would probably be stored somewhere other than below the sink/stove area. Building something like a chuck box below for easier storage.

Is this just insane? We are pretty capable people.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not insane at all. It's your trailer, and you know how you will be using it. Just make sure to preserve some kind of roof support on that side of the trailer, and be aware of how changes may affect weight and balance.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Be cautioned, those small "Tankless" LP water heaters, most for around $100, ARE NOT designed or safe for use inside an RV. Most are clearly labeled "For Outside Use Only"

If you are looking at an electric tankless water heater, be aware that they pull substantial amounts of current and an all new and updated electrical system may be in order

And I would do a lot of research before buying any of the so-called 12VDC "Coolers" the success range is very wide and most don't do an effective job of cooling, especially if it gets more than warm outside.

Those 30 degree temperature differential figures came from the same book as the 900 lb Scamp.... True only under ideal conditions.... do not try this at home....your results may be different.... As seen on TV etc.,,. It's all in the fine print.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #4

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
In regard to the stove. When we had our tent trailer we quickly discovered that the regulator on the fuel line into the trailer is what controls the temperature of the stove - ie, it is reduced and kept at a max to prevent a fire inside. (the whole distance to burnable surfaces thing) The trailer stove was so regulated that we could cook the pasta outside on our Coleman before the water would start to boil in the trailer. Our solution is to cook outside on our Coleman and use the inside stove only for horrible conditions.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #5

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
thinking of total redo of "kitchen" in 13 foot vintage Scamp

Go for it !
Look at the 12 volt fridg selection on m.truckfridge.com

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

North Carolina
Love spending money before I even get out of bed. Very excited.!
Here is the sink!
Swanstone Dual Mount Composite 25x18x7.5 1-Hole Double Bowl Kitchen Sink in Bisque-KSDB-2518 - The Home Depot
Here is the two burner! http://www.amazon.com/Ramblewood-GC2.../dp/B005BWZNUY
Will place a second counter top over the existing, still thinking about what to use. And yes, looking into 12 volt fridge,
Will post pics as it comes along.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #7

WHOA..... You jumped from wanting a stainless steel sink to a composite sink.

I have seen several reports that composite sinks ARE NOT suited to RV's due to vibration and flexing. One I bought (from HD), and installed in a friends non-moving kitchen, developed a crack in the area of the disposal after about 3 months. When we took it back, the guy in the kitchen dept. said that cracking was a common complaint and suggested that we replace it with a stainless steel sink, gave us a full refund for returning a "defective" product.

IKEA has a beautiful 16" round ss sink that I have installed in 2 RV's. Big enough to wash anything, including a 18 month old baby. Check at IKEA.com

And... It's not against the law to turn a standard Atwood 2 burner stove sideways. That's one expensive cooktop you linked to. There are a number of single burner RV suitable cook tops out there, look under Marine/Boating headings.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

Not so hot Cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
In regard to the stove. When we had our tent trailer we quickly discovered that the regulator on the fuel line into the trailer is what controls the temperature of the stove - ie, it is reduced and kept at a max to prevent a fire inside. (the whole distance to burnable surfaces thing) The trailer stove was so regulated that we could cook the pasta outside on our Coleman before the water would start to boil in the trailer. Our solution is to cook outside on our Coleman and use the inside stove only for horrible conditions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My son complained about that same problem in the Tent trailer that I rebuilt for him. Took about 5 minutes to fix the problem by installing a new LP regulator and it was good to go. BTW, that was the same Atwood cooktop that's used in 1000,'s of FGRV and tent trailers.

I have no idea what the "distance to burnable things" is all about.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
I am about to suggest to husband that we pull the entire kitchen area and put in a "small", but huge by Scamp standards, single stainless steel sink and retrofit an indoor single burner propane burner. Not such a huge thing as to be a safety hazard, but would like more flame than what we presently have. We never use both burners anyway. Might install this burner so it is easily removed for outdoor cooking.

We only have an icebox and I don't love it. We have thought about a 3 fridge, but also looked at these coolers that keep food 30 degrees cooler than outside. This cooler/fridge, whatever, would probably be stored somewhere other than below the sink/stove area. Building something like a chuck box below for easier storage.
You do not need to pull out the whole kitchen to make the changes you are after. Simple remove the stove and sink and install a new counter top over the old one to cover the old holes & cut out new ones to fit your new appliances. You can also use the spot the ice box is currently in to hold a new fridge.... be warned the dc fridges that keep food at 30 degrees cooler than outside air temp - eat up battery power and any time the temps goes over 70 degrees the temp in the fridge will be over the 40 degrees needed to keep the food safe inside it.... the ice box with a block of ice in it may do just as good if not better job in real warm weather.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #10

North Carolina
Bob Miller, thanks, just cancelled that sink! I think we only need one burner, husband disagrees.

Yep, that is one extravagant two burner....but I think we will love it. Plan on installing sideways.

"distance from burnable..." I bet this means how far away something needs to be to avoid a fire. Don't plan on leaving things cooking on the stove so will be around. Eric plans to put some type of heat deflector under the overhead cabinet in addition.

Gonna check out that IKEA sink right now.

Carol, we agree, will not be pulling everything out. Putting a new top on top should work fine.

But don't think it is just a regulator problem with the stove, the BTUs are rated around 6000.

SO APPRECIATE THIS SITE.

BTW, if anyone wants the old stove top, sink or light that came with the original Scamp, it is yours for the price of shipping.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:40 AM   #11

I understand the "Distance" issue, it's just that I have never heard it mentioned in respect to what appliances are used in an RV.

IKEA also has very nice laminated Beechwood countertops. That's my standard material for replacing counter tops in RV's.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #12

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
There is a third way - no indoor kitchen. On the theory that a 13 footer is just too small to cook in, we eliminated the indoor stove and fridge.

An outdoor kitchen does require some extra set-up and breakdown time, but for us it's doen't seem like that much trouble. It all stows inside the trailer for travel. We do use a cooler for food, which we tend to keep in the van along with the rest of the food (we sometimes camp in bear country).

We did keep an inside sink on the counter top for washing hands after using the WC, tooth brushing, etc.

I've included some pics if you're interested in considering the 'third way'.
The outdoor sink is on the far left hand side of the table. It drains into a 12 gallon tote tank with wheels and has a sprayer instead of a faucet. Works for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Chuck box kitchen2.jpg   Chuck box kitchen.jpg  

IMG_0650.jpg  
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve how do/what do you do if on a long road trip and your just stopping for a few zzz's in a rest stop or such and want a cup of tea? or a quick cup of soap?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:35 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
With a higher btu flame, be careful of the amount of heat being produced. You may want to also consider a stronger vent fan for the hood as well.
My new little atwood stove actually warms my food quite fast. Double check if your stove is working correctly. Especially if its the original stove.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:25 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Wanting a larger and better functioning kitchen was the motivation behind our renovation. You probably don't want to go through the extensive modifications we did but a number of members have created a kitchen across the front which allows for a larger sink and lots of counter space

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 AM   #16

North Carolina
Thought on those thoughtful posts!

Steve n Janna,
That looks like a lovely set up. Our lives are controlled by that first cup in the morning. At home the coffee pot is in the bedroom. My biggest concern for this is when we are doing one nighters and also foull weather. But no question this is fine solution for longer stays.

Pam, heat and safety. You are right we will need to be careful. We have a Fantastic Fan, but eric is thinking of a little computer fan by the window behind cooktop.

Ian, drool....drool, but what camper do you have?

Thanks again all.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #17

North Carolina
Ian, I should not post before coffee, 19 foot Boler, lovely
Old 05-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
Ian, I should not post before coffee, 19 foot Boler, lovely
The picture is our 13' Boler which had an original floorplan exactly the same as your Scamp
Proud Canadian
Old 05-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #19

Ian
Very neat kitchen area, is that an IKEA sink by chance?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ian
Very neat kitchen area, is that an IKEA sink by chance?
Exactly Bob, the infamous IKEA sink

Tags
scamp, vin