This fridge is tooooo big (?) - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

Name: Tilly
Trailer: 1976 Boler 1300
Manitoba
This fridge is tooooo big (?)

Hi folks
Relying on some local knowledge on this one; we are looking to replace our old domestic 211. I recently saw a used Dometic 2310 for sale.

The catch is the 2310 is 29.5 inches in height; the 211 is 22 11/16. My trailer is up in the country, so wondering if anyone with a mid '70s boler can tell me if I we could fit the taller fridge if we removed our cutlery drawer and placed the fridge right on the floor?

Just trying to find some extra inches - thanks in advance!

Old 04-06-2016, 10:27 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Hi Tilly,

Itís karma that you should ask as I am in the middle of doing just such a modification in my ď83, 13í Scamp. I too wanted a larger frig that would hold more than just a Happy Meal.

If you have the type of Boler in which the frig can go all the way down to the floor, you have a distinct advantage over us Scamp people and may not have to deal with raising the counter top since yours may fit below it. But you still have to check for clearance for your stove. It may or may not have enough clearance between the bottom of it and the top of the frig. Also, even if it has enough clearance now, there may not be enough room at the back of the counter due to the new exhaust housing that has to be built. Measure everything a million times!

I came across a Dometic 2333 that has the same dimensions as your 2310, and spent the winter measuring and thinking and mentally rehearsing the installation process.

After measuring and rechecking about every dimension there is a million times, seeing the other issues that have to be addressed and made to accommodate it, and the $300+ cost of a new SMEV/Dometic sink/stove combination unit, I decided to go ahead with it. You first need to check that it will fit through the door. Mine did with just about a ľĒ remaining on each side after removing the door, hinge brackets, and sliding it in sideways.

The two photos attached show the cuts made so far to the fiberglass to allow it to fit, and the additional changes that will have to be made to make it fit. The new sink/stove unit it necessary because of the ventilation housing that is needed for the taller frig venting requirement. That means some serious cutting and fiberglassing of the Scampís body to cover the old vents and cut out for the new one.

So far there have been no unpleasant surprises, just all the things that I expected as having to be done to make it work. It will probably take a couple of weeks to finish it as I didnít order the sink/stove unit until I tried fitting the frig. in the cut-out space. Didnít want another expense if the frig didnít work.

I will post more photos as the work progresses.
Attached Thumbnails
Frig mod 005.jpg   Frig mod 006.jpg  

Old 04-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

Manitoba
What an endeavour! Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated.

I can see how tricky it would be to find those inches, especially in terms of depth. I am very interested to track your progress, both inside (sink/stove combo, maybe new countertop, interesting....) and out (reglassing body and re-installing vents, intimidating....!).

Good luck in your next steps!
Old 04-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Hi Tilly,
I am not really sure which decade my Boler is actually from but maybe this info will help.
I had my fridge out to make adjustments to my cutlery drawer and I made some measurements for you. First off, the floor under my fridge/kitchenette is raised so all my measurements are based on that. From the (raised) floor to the underside of the stock stove, I measured 26 1/2". My kitchenette has a bit of a lip to the face so I also measured from the floor to the bottom of lip and I got 28 1/8" to the bottom of the lip. For a final measurement, I got 29 1/2" from the raised floor to the underside of the cabinet top (approximately, there might be another 1/4" - mine slopes back to front).
Hope the numbers help. If mine is totally different, no worries, I was in there anyway.
Jay
Old 04-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Tilly and Jay,

Your measurements are exactly the same as mine. My final installation notes should work for you if you decide to do it also.

Jim
Old 04-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #6

Ontario
glad to know the numbers were right. Good luck and have fun!
Jay
Old 04-10-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Michigan
Registry
Tilly,

I just checked my 1974 Boler 13 (think it was made in Alberta). When I measured up 29 1/2" from the floor (bottom of existing fridge) the top of the replacement fridge would be ABOVE the countertop about 1/8". (edit: )

-John
Old 04-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #8

Manitoba
Thanks fellas! Greatly appreciate the intel. Weighing pros and cons and my ability to take on a project like Jim describes...now need to look up the post about doing fiberglass work!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Michigan
Registry
Tilly,

My 1974 Boler 13 kitchenette has a lip extending down the front side 1 5/8" below the raised floor (same as Jay mentioned in his post). IF your kitchenette is designed that way, you could probably raise the kitchenette up above the new fridge.

-John
Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #10

Ontario
John has a good idea there too. I took my kitchenette right out. I had to cut where it was glassed to the back wall and it was free. I think it could be raised without much extra glassing. The sides butt up against the dinette and gaucho so it may not be noticeable there. The bottom of the kitchenette has a short skirt that could be cut out... maybe another option.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #11

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
I just google domestic replacement chart and get a couple of pages showing replacement numbers and also all fridge sizes.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Tags
fridge