Thoghts on supporting an egg during remodeling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Thoughts on supporting an egg during remodeling

When I replaced the axle on my Scamp I had it supported in the very back by a stack of blocks on each side and at the front by the jack. It was in effect abnormally “sway backed”. This is different than a trailer’s normal state of affairs, with the axle(s) in the middle and the jack or hitch at the front. After I had installed the new axle and taken it off the blocks I noticed that my closet door did not latch properly and had to be adjusted. Not a big deal, but I did put a lot of stress on the old Scamp walking in it while “un-naturally” supported.

Currently I am planning on cutting out small areas of one of the interior cabinets to mount a microwave and have been thinking about the structural ramifications. Pretty slight in my case but where it might be a real issue is where somebody guts or significantly alters the interior of an “egg” while not supported (by the axle) in the usual manner. The trailer might sag or distort without the support of the interior walls (a significant structural element of an egg trailer). The trailer would be finished in that manner and then plopped down on the axle for over-the-road use and introduce a whole new set of forces while bouncing over the road. Who knows how this might affect (crack) an oollllllddddd fiberglass trailer.

Some of our babies are getting pretty long in the tooth and become the victims of remodeling efforts by their well-meaning (we hope) owners modifying the rig for their use/circumstances. While there are certainly instances where introducing some camber, arch, or bow to a structural element is desired, I sure don’t have the ability (or interest) to design or redesign the frame and other structural elements of an egg. It may be best to just try and hold the status quo. Food for thought if you find yourself in this circumstance.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Tim I think you bring up a valid point. Depending on what kind of mod you are going to do it could easily make a difference. Level, level, level. I won't tell you how I know that and it wasn't an egg. Someone else will chime in soon .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote