Well my ParkLiner
like most egg's has the ratfur behind the galley. So far I have only made coffee in mine, but lets face it...eventually I will end up cooking in it and the last thing I want is to get splatters on the ratfur.
The first thing I did was unscrew the trim ring for the window. Mine was 12 screws, put them aside then measured the whole thing. 35.5" by 14.5" and went off to Home Depot.
I picked this up to be the backerboard for the tile. 5.0 mm x 2 ft. x 4 ft. Moisture Resistant Underlayment Handy Panel-1507142 at The Home Depot
I bought 4 pieces of tile, figured I would need 3...actually I had enough to do i with 2 12"x12" mesh backed glass tiles...cut and fit. For $4.99 each I wasn't really careing that much...so I have spares lol. MS International Spring Leaf 1 in. x 1 in. Glass Wall Tile-THDWG-CR-SL-4MM at The Home Depot
The peel off tile adhesive was the most expensive lol Custom Building Products SimpleMat Tile Setting Mat-SM10R1 at The Home Depot
Grout Custom Building Products #381 Bright White 1 qt. Premixed Grout-PMG381QT at The Home Depot
The peel off adhesive is real easy to use, just following the instructions I just worked it down onto the board with backside of a thick sharpie marker to make sure it was really sticking to the luan backerboard. Then started measureing and cutting the webbing on the tiles to fit, peeled off the top piece of plastic on the adhesive (its like double sided tape with a plastic/waxpaper on each side. I cut a few individual tiles and went outside and used pliers and broke a few tiles to try to get them to fit on the oval hole where the window trim piece goes... just to make it look a little more professional.
The grouting is pretty simple. Use a scraper, scoop some grout onto the tile and use the scraper to drag it around to fill in between the tiles. took me maybe 5 minutes to grout such a small area. Then I got a bucket and sacrificed the old kitchen sponge and carefully wiped the tiles down to get most of the grout off the tops of them... then switched to a wrung out papertowels... once it looked fairly clean left it alone till the next day when it was dry.
I again used a wet wrung out papertowel to clean off any "haze" left on the tiles. Drove over to my parents house to install it. Had to scrape some dried grout off of 2 spots when I couldn't get the board inplace but wasn't a big deal. Im really happy with the difference before and after. I did think about going with a wilde colour tiles but then decided the light
colour does match the wood work and will keep the cabin feeling a little larger.