Time for Paint Mr Eskimo? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Time for Paint Mr Eskimo?

My trailer is almost ready for paint. The challenge is that most paint products I have investigated require temperatures of 10C (50F) or above. In my climate, temperatures are now consistently below 10C. For spot repairs (like fiberglass, fillers, and the like), I can put a heater on the repair for an hour or more to get the product to cure. I do not have an indoor work area, and painting the full trailer exterior is going to be too big an area for heaters. I have found that some products, such as MAS fiberglass resins for example, seem to be more forgiving in terms of temperatures then other products.

Is anyone aware of paint products that will dry properly at temps below 10C? Any suggestions for overcoming this challenge (aside from renting indoor space or putting the project aside until spring)?

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #2

Name: Todd
Trailer: 1974 Scamp 13'
Malvern, Ohio
Registry
A couple of heaters in a storage unit should get the temperature up. Plus renting a unit for a month gives you enough time, and it should only cost less than $50.
Todd Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quandry. BUT, you've spent a lot of time and effort to get to this point. I'm with Todd, rent the space for a month. You don't want to have a failure at this point. That or tarp the trailer well and wait until spring. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #4

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Although thw storage room suggestion is a good one, I suspect that the big city rate for a space large enough to work in will be more than $50 month.

From what I can see online, there are paint products that have lower working temperatures. There are also adatives which will lower the acceptable working temp. Does anyone have any real world experience with any of these?
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Derek if you havent already looked into it you may want to consider checking out some of the chain type auto body repair shops in regards to having them do the painting. We have one locally who I know I number of people have used that I recall the cost was in the $300 range - but the owners had done all the prep and taping off etc to the trailer prior. Once you take in the cost of the paint and supplies and now a way to heat a garage it may be worth calling around and asking about.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint