Tiny air conditioners - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #15

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie T. View Post
We are wanting to add a window AC unit to our lower closet area and I had seen the one Norm wrote about at Walmart. It's a Frigidaire 5,000 BTU with a digital display and even comes with a remote. I think it looks great and Frigidaire has been rated as a good brand. Does anyone think the digital model vs the manual model with the knobs/dials may be more risky with all the bouncing and motions from being used in a trailer?

I am just tired of remote controls! You see them for everything, even car radios. Why?

Old 04-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
I am just tired of remote controls! You see them for everything, even car radios. Why?
For the back seat? I can see remotes for fans and lights if you have a monster RV... but three steps and I've moved all the way from front to back in my trailer. Walking is good for me

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Remotes are like cruise control, you don't have to use them. They can be handy to perform functions like auto on/off.

Until I bought a car that came with cruise I thought it was a function for the lazy or inept.

Norm
Old 04-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #18

Name: Julie
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 and 1985 Scamp 16
Nebraska
Registry
Any thoughts from those with more mechanical brains than me on whether the digital readout AC unit would be more prone to mechanical failures than the basic knob/dial model? I just remember my dad always making comments about "more things to go wrong" when electronics started getting more sophisticated. I know there is a lot of bouncing around inside these trailers as they tag along behind us on the road! I don't need the remote, I just think the electric push button control model is more streamlined and looks better and has a few other features that the other one doesn't for not that much more money.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Any thoughts from those with more mechanical brains than me on whether the digital readout AC unit would be more prone to mechanical failures than the basic knob/dial model? I just remember my dad always making comments about "more things to go wrong" when electronics started getting more sophisticated. I know there is a lot of bouncing around inside these trailers as they tag along behind us on the road! I don't need the remote, I just think the electric push button control model is more streamlined and looks better and has a few other features that the other one doesn't for not that much more money.
We've carried a lot of electronics for the last ten years, TV, 2 laptops, wifi hot spot, sat receiver and have never had only one failure and none in a trailer. In our motorhome we carried a laptop on the front dash desk. On an unbelieveable bad road, the laptop 'jumped' off the desk on to the floor destroying the hard drive. From that point forth we have never carried a laptop like that. Now we simply lay the laptops and TV on the bed when driving.

We have found electronic devices to be very solid even though we've driven some really extended rough roads. Of course past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

Norm
Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #20

Name: Russ
Trailer: Boler
Minnesota
Quote:
Hi Julie,

I'm not sure if this is the same model you're looking at but we've had it in our Boler for the past year without any trouble yet (knock wood).

Russ

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3680.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	34738
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #21

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL View Post
Hi Julie,

I'm not sure if this is the same model you're looking at but we've had it in our Boler for the past year without any trouble yet (knock wood).

Russ

Attachment 34738
Russ

How does that AC unit drain?

Thanks

Norm
Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #22

Name: Russ
Trailer: Boler
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Russ

How does that AC unit drain?

Thanks

Norm
The wooden shelf that's underneath the unit is severely pitched to send all the water to the outside wall of the trailer. I installed it there and then completely fiberglassed over the top of it, tying it in to the sides of the closet. On the lower corners I drilled and epoxied in a couple fittings to attach the tubing you see in the picture. That leads down to a hole in the bottom of the closet behind the wheel for drainage.

Russ
Old 04-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Any thoughts from those with more mechanical brains than me on whether the digital readout AC unit would be more prone to mechanical failures than the basic knob/dial model? I just remember my dad always making comments about "more things to go wrong" when electronics started getting more sophisticated.
I've had a knob break off an air conditioner which required me to operate it with a vice-grip pliers; not pretty. I think it would be the same as controls on a microwave oven which I've never had a problem with.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #24

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
One benefit of the remote would be if your are sleeping and need to adjust the temp or turn the unit on/off you wouldnt have to crawl over a sleeping partner to do so.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #25

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
Remote controls are dirt cheap for the manufacturer to include with a device. They may even save on manufacturing cost compared with putting additional controls on the device itself. Many consumers will feel they are getting added value if a remote is included and be willing to pay more. It is a win win for the manufacturer and that is why they are often included, not because of consumer demand.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #26

Quote:
I don't need the remote, I just think the electric push button control model is more streamlined and looks better and has a few other features that the other one doesn't for not that much more money.
Comparing the Frigidaire 5000 btu unit at Walmart in the previous link to the one with dials, the remote AC is a lot more money... 33% more. $119.54 vs $158.99 and both the same size, weight and cooling capacity.

But then again, if you look at their website, Walmart is offering quite a discount right now on the one with the remote, $158.99 which is a price rollback from the regular price of $159.00.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Comparing the Frigidaire 5000 btu unit at Walmart in the previous link to the one with dials, the remote AC is a lot more money... 33% more. $119.54 vs $158.99 and both the same size, weight and cooling capacity.

But then again, if you look at their website, Walmart is offering quite a discount right now on the one with the remote, $158.99 which is a price rollback from the regular price of $159.00.
One penny?
Old 04-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
One penny?
Yup, quite a price rollback!