Indiana
If only Sam Walton could see it now.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #30

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDeutsch View Post
I am just tired of remote controls! You see them for everything, even car radios. Why?
The car radio remote allowed me to install a stereo in the upper ceiling cabinet over the front window so I can see the clock and control the stereo from the bed/table in the rear where I am most likely to be.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #31

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Remotes are nice- except when you lose them and there is no other way to control the device.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #32

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
How are the rigidaire FRA054XT7 units working out??? Any broken/lost remote controls?

I'm very close to buying one to put in the closet, over the right wheel in my 2001 13' Scamp. I want to do some more measuring and investigating draining options.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #33

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie T. View Post
We are wanting to add a window AC unit to our lower closet area and I had seen the one Norm wrote about at Walmart. It's a Frigidaire 5,000 BTU with a digital display and even comes with a remote. I think it looks great and Frigidaire has been rated as a good brand. Does anyone think the digital model vs the manual model with the knobs/dials may be more risky with all the bouncing and motions from being used in a trailer?
That A/C is a good choice and the remote version should be just as reliable as the manual.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:33 PM   #34

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
RussL is it vented some how? We have got to put an AC in our 1985 Bigfoot some how.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Gardnpondr,

We've had our Air Conditioner for 3 or 4 years and probably have not used it more than 5 times a year, this includes the year we were on the road for all but 40 days.

We use a fan to mix the cool air in the trailer and find removing the humidity and getting the temperature to 80 is adequate.

This year we have a Park model in FL with 'whole house AC' and I find it's the same. 89F is perfectly comfortable with the ac running. I hadn't thought about it before but yhe Scamp has whole house air conditioning.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:41 PM   #36

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I find it's the same. 89F is perfectly comfortable with the ac running.
89F inside or outside?
Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #37

Florida
Sergey, Typo 80F is what I should have typed.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-08-2015, 11:08 PM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Exclamation getting the 30 degree temperature drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Here's an idea if you only need A/C occasionally. Over on the teardrop forum, some folks carry a window unit separately from the trailer. In use, the unit sits on the ground with a special-built plenum on the front to adapt the cold air outlet to a dryer hose. The hose carries the cold air into the trailer. A window unit with a remote control would be perfect.

Marv

This would be a very inefficient way to cool, as the way air conditioners work by lowering the inside temperature while circulating that continually cooling air over the cold coils to continue to lower the temperature even more and reduce the working load of the unit itself, this is why the amps usage lowers as an a/c runs longer as it doesn't have to work as hard as the temp drops as opposed to when the unit is first turned on when the room air temperature is hot.

With a unit sitting outside pushing conditioned air inside the camper with a dryer vent tube your coils are taking in the hot tempered outside air and cooling it as much as it can and pumping it inside, so it would not benefit from the cooler air being pushed back through the cooling coils...

Just FYI an ideal temperature drop from the return coils of an a/c to the air coming out of the cooling vent is a 30 degree drop or difference, so if it is 95 degrees outside the coldest air coming in would be 65 degrees ideally, but if the same cooling air is returned to the return coils the temp will drop faster and cool better...for example if you turn the a/c on and room temp is 95 degrees and you get the 30 degree drop with 65 coming out, the 95 will eventually drop to 90 with the vent temp dropping to 60, then 90 goes down to 80 and the vent temp drops to 50 and so on and so on...then when the room temp drops down to the temp set on the thermostat it shuts down until the temp elevates up again and then the system kicks back on...

so with a unit sitting outside with a dryer vent going inside it would not do to great of a job unless you had a return duct going back to the a/c unit...not to mention the cool air lost through the dryer pipe as it has no insulation...

just my 2 cents....
Old 04-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #39

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Johnny M. does make a point, you need to exchange the air with pulling out the hot and blowing in the cold. If you ever stand near a unit you can feel the heat dissipating. Even window units have an exhaust that pulls air. By pulling out the heat you lower the temperature.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #40

Florida
Just as a reference point, a closet air conditioner has two sets of coils. Our AC takes outside air in through a floor vent and circulates it thru the air conditioner's rear coils. The rear coils are used to remove collected heat from the trailer.. The AC exhausts the collected heat thru a separate floor vent; this exhaust vent is powered. The rear coils take their air from outside (under the trailer in our case and exits the hot air under the trailer. It is necessary to keep the exit air and in coming air for the rear coil separate.

The inside air is pulled into the air conditioners front side vents and exits cool air through the air conditioner's front coils and into the trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #41

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Very simple...get a $150 a/c (with remote if you want) and be done with it. The more expensive-hard-to-get 1000 btu a/c to me wouldnt be worth it. We have a 9K roof mount in our 13' Scamp. In the SOUTH in the dead of summer during the day with 95+ temps, it's all IT can do to keep up. Why?

REMEMBER.... your RV doesnt have NEAR the insulation your house will and that makes ALL the difference regardless the size of your camper- of course unless it's one of the better insulated Olivers or equal. Believe me, in the "Lite-house", the temps are going to rise and lower fast! That's just the way it is in a small camper.....and.... "it's the nature of the beast".

Quick story of mine: The Coleman 9K I have would let it get warm and humid in my trailer before kicking on again. The heat unit was too warm or well... you get the story. There was a gentleman on the Casita forum that devised a way to put a Hunter (or sob) on the unit. Now you can control it within 1 deg if you wish! My Scamp is now more comfortable than my house- which makes for EXCELLENT sleeping- with this digital setup! Just a thought.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #42

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I would be happy if there was an easy way to just cool the air in the bed area. My ac is in the front of the trailer and the bed in the rear.