Tips for a New Frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Maisie
Trailer: 1982 Boler
Quebec
Tips for a New Frame

We did it, we were able to go on our Cross Canada/USA trip! Our Boler too made it, thanks to two emergency welding jobs and another quick fix about 100km from home.

Now that we're back we have to look at building a new frame. I've seen some threads that have been quite helpful, but I still have so many questions.

I'll start by asking what I haven't been able to find so far: Do we need to strip the inside of the Boler to be able to lift it off its frame?

We would ideally like to have a longer frame built so that we can add some space for extra storage at the back as well as a bike rack. If anyone has done this and has any tips, they're most welcome and greatly appreciated!

thanks so much!
Maisie

Maisie
bondgirl1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondgirl1020 View Post
.....We would ideally like to have a longer frame built so that we can add some space for extra storage at the back as well as a bike rack. If anyone has done this and has any tips, they're most welcome and greatly appreciated!

thanks so much!
Maisie
I can't help with advice on frame replacement but I really like the idea of taking the frame build as an opportunity to add storage and a bike rack. Lemons to lemonaid you might say.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Saskatchewan
For what its worth I have been told to not put a bike rack on the back. My friend removed his because the extra weight at the back of the trailer caused some issues with swaying on the hwy..... I'm sure others with more direct experience will chime in....
tnt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Sway is aggrevated by having too little weight on the tongue, adding weight to the rear reduces tongue weight. The further back of the axles the more negative impact it has, bike rack that sticks out further creates more impact. So Dan raises a valid point when it comes to planning your frame.

On the forum there are some real experts on the physics, their comments lead me to believe that heavy weight at either front or back (or both) is a potential destabilizing factor. If at all possible to post a sketch of what you have in mind I'm sure some guidance on the specifics will be forthcoming.

Think there are some that have put bike rack on tongue end of frame, and if the items stored in rear are light (hoses, cords and such) and kept close to the body (over the bumper) that might work out ok.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Think there are some that have put bike rack on tongue end of frame, and if the items stored in rear are light (hoses, cords and such) and kept close to the body (over the bumper) that might work out ok.
This is a much better approach. The one that Floyd made that is just in front of the trailer front wall would be my choice.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If the frame is extended in the tongue instead of the back, and a storage box is placed on the extended tongue immediately in front of the body with a bike rack like Floyd's on top of it, stability would likely be good (because although mass is being added away from the middle, the distance from ball to axle has been increased). It will also likely be more tongue-heavy, but some more detailed information and calculation would be required to determine how much. Usually extending a tongue raises strength issues, but since a new frame is being built this could be considered in the design to avoid any problem.

I would encourage anyone who is making substantial structural changes to work with someone who knows what they are doing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...My 1980 Trillium, 1300 has extensive frame reinforcement. It is heavy. It includes rear rack for storage, rear external battery and bike rack enough for 4 bicycles. YET, someone might think ab sway problem-NOT AT ALL- The fact is...with fully loaded, it's tongue weight is at 140lbs and cruising HW at more than 100km per hour. It has more than 5 camping trips for this summer so far. The last one is 400km travelling one way without a...problem. If you do calculation well, solution is solved...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG477.jpg   IMG062.jpg  

IMG704.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the frame is extended in the tongue instead of the back, and a storage box is placed on the extended tongue immediately in front of the body with a bike rack like Floyd's on top of it, stability would likely be good (because although mass is being added away from the middle, the distance from ball to axle has been increased). It will also likely be more tongue-heavy, but some more detailed information and calculation would be required to determine how much. Usually extending a tongue raises strength issues, but since a new frame is being built this could be considered in the design to avoid any problem.

I would encourage anyone who is making substantial structural changes to work with someone who knows what they are doing.
Just to be clear, there was no frame mod made or necessary when I added my bike rack.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Just to be clear, there was no frame mod made or necessary when I added my bike rack.
Good point. I wasn't intending to suggest that Floyd's bike rack required a frame modification - the reason in this case to stretch the tongue area of the frame would be to accommodate the desired cargo box... and Floyd's approach to a rack would fit nicely on top of that.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondgirl1020 View Post
I'll start by asking what I haven't been able to find so far: Do we need to strip the inside of the Boler to be able to lift it off its frame?
NO, justs remove everything "loose." You lift the body off the frame, it doesn't really matter what's inside after you remove all the bolts. What's important is to make certain the lift points are SOLID and NOT on the fiberglass body...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You lift the body off the frame, it doesn't really matter what's inside after you remove all the bolts.
I agree... but you do need to get to all of the bolts, and I don't know what interior bit (flooring? cabinets?) might be in the way. I have not had to discover this in our Boler.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've been following a Facebook post. They actually rolled the trailer over onto a couple of regular matresses (after removing the loose stuff inside). They're looking to replace the axle, the pictures make me go... . I'm hoping they don't find a BUNCH of cracks when they roll the trailer back on the wheels. These are not referred to as "eggs" without a reason.... it almost seems common sense flew out the door...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote