TIRE SWAP-Compact Jr. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Talking

Quote:
Thanks. I will pump up the tires to 35-40 lbs. and see what happens.The original owner told me to leave them at 26.It worked for him.
I will run it up the road to see what happens.
First...are they TRAILER tires or simply small passenger car tires?
The recommended cold inflation pressure should be embossed on the sidewall. Please check that first before arbitrarily inflating them to 40 lbs. If they are indeed passenger car tires, OVERinflation will not help your circumstance at all.

As for the sway bar, there are several types and each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Do a search of the forum and look for a recent thread on sway bars. I think it was pretty active a few months ago. If and when you decide upon a sway bar, talk to a local hitch installing guy. They'll probably be able to access such a device for you.
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr (some interior mods)
Quote:
First...are they TRAILER tires or simply small passenger car tires?
The recommended cold inflation pressure should be embossed on the sidewall. Please check that first before arbitrarily inflating them to 40 lbs. If they are indeed passenger car tires, OVERinflation will not help your circumstance at all.

As for the sway bar, there are several types and each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Do a search of the forum and look for a recent thread on sway bars. I think it was pretty active a few months ago. If and when you decide upon a sway bar, talk to a local hitch installing guy. They'll probably be able to access such a device for you.
These are Carlisle trailer only tires....ST 175/80/D/13 maximum of 50 psi
Jeff_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #23

Quote:
My tow vehicle is a v-8 Tundra and rated to pull much more than 1200 lbs. I still keep speed to 55 most of the the time from experience.
Passing and getting back to driving lane is when I notice some side-side.Going over RR tracks, I always slow it down but still get plenty
of wheel hop or the trailer gets a little squirrly . The Tundra tires stay at 35 psi.I have tried 40 with cj but it did not help.I have several
towing bars so as to keep trailer level. The guy I bought it from had 2 50 lb.sacks of sand stowed way up in front section as there are access hatches
in this rig that he put in.The extra weight did not seem to make a positive difference so I removed.There is a took chest where the
gas bottle would have been (on tongue) I load that with tools and jack stands for the tongue weight to compensate for the heavier rear
portion of the trailer now equipped side AC,microwave,wood cabinets and electric refer.The right side is probably a little heavier that the left
side of the trailer.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Talking

Quote:
Pump those puppies up and do nothing else until after you give it a decent real-world tow test. (Gear weight, speed, etc.) After all, you've been running those tires at half pressure. 50 lbs. is COLD and should go up somewhat after traveling a bit at speed. Forget 35~40, dude... go for it. Fifty pounds and you'll be amazed at the difference. Then after you blow out those silly rubber stems your tires probably have now, get some metal ones and you'll get thirty~forty thousand outta those Carlisles if you haven't already stressed the sidewalls but running 26 pounds in 'em.

There are threads here that explain the procedure for properly measuring tongue weight at home. Search the site for that. 10~15% of trailer weight should make that Compact follow along like a baby duck after its mama.
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Pump those puppies up and do nothing else until after you give it a decent real-world tow test. (Gear weight, speed, etc.) After all, you've been running those tires at half pressure. 50 lbs. is COLD and should go up somewhat after traveling a bit at speed. Forget 35~40, dude... go for it. Fifty pounds and you'll be amazed at the difference. Then after you blow out those silly rubber stems your tires probably have now, get some metal ones and you'll get thirty~forty thousand outta those Carlisles if you haven't already stressed the sidewalls but running 26 pounds in 'em.

There are threads here that explain the procedure for properly measuring tongue weight at home. Search the site for that. 10~15% of trailer weight should make that Compact follow along like a baby duck after its mama.
I will try that tomorrow.I am getting ready to take her out on the roads for a few weeks despite the gas prices.May even head to the egg meet
in Nova Scotia.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
you'll get thirty~forty thousand outta those Carlisles if you haven't already stressed the sidewalls but running 26 pounds in 'em.
He may have stressed the sidewalls, they are bias not radials

Quote:
Note the "D" my Carlisle Radials read R13
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #27

Quote:
He may have stressed the sidewalls, they are bias not radials

Note the "D" my Carlisle Radials read R13
I have not put that many miles on the tires and keep in garaged and the weight off the tires.We will see how they run.There is a Carlisle dealer nearby who will check them out.If stressed...new ones will be put on.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
There is a Carlisle dealer nearby who will check them out.
Great!

Considering there has been a lot of discussion with the bad tire stem recall; I and I'm sure many others would be interested in hearing a Carlisle dealers point of view on the problem.

I've bought two sets of premounted Carlisle tires on rims in the last 2 years, I'd like to know if there is any chance my tires might be affected by the recall. Would you mind asking them while you are at a Carlisle dealer and posting the response? I don't think I'll get accurate information from the floor staff at Princess Auto.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Great!

Considering there has been a lot of discussion with the bad tire stem recall; I and I'm sure many others would be interested in hearing a Carlisle dealers point of view on the problem.

I've bought two sets of premounted Carlisle tires on rims in the last 2 years, I'd like to know if there is any chance my tires might be affected by the recall. Would you mind asking them while you are at a Carlisle dealer and posting the response? I don't think I'll get accurate information from the floor staff at Princess Auto.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Great!

I will ask.The place I will go to is a small country distributor nearby.I will post an answer.....if I get one?