Ain't is so?!!!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewa View Post
Please accept my apologies if I am side tracking this thread on the pros and cons of installing a 14-15" tire rather than the standard 13", but I could not resist making some comments on 13" tires.

Not too long ago, I looked into replacing my '76 Trillium 1300 tires. After pounding the internet and calling different tire manufacturers, this is what I learned.

(1) All 13" trailer tires are rated to not exceed 65mph.
(2) Radial vs bias trailer tires: the only real advantage of a bias tire is that if you should have a blow out, you won't damage the wheel well of your fiberglass trailer to the extent that a radial tire blow-out would cause.
(3)It seems that all 13" trailer tires made today are made in China. I could not find any trailer tires that are made in America now. I even called a number of tire manufacturers/tire stores and when it looked like their tires had been made in the USA, I asked them to go out in the warehouse and actually look at the current tires and then tell me what was on the sidewall, and they all came back and said, " you are right, the tire is now made in China; I did not realize the manuf. made this change".
(4) Most trailer tires are C class and have a max psi of about 50 lbs. There are some D class 13" radial tires, but again they are made in China. Personally, I would prefer a D class tire if I were to inflate the tire to 50 lbs. thinking that our car tires are C class and 35psi max.
(5)Trailer tires are a special breed, and other tires cannot easily subsitute for them. You would really have to know your stuff to subsitute a non-trailer labeled tire for a trailer tire.

Has anyone found any 13" trailer tires made in the USA or other than in China?

Any comments on the best 13" trailer tire to purchase? Don't want to open the flood gates to input, but this is not something that is well documented it seems.

Thank you.
In response to item #3...
I have bought Carlisle Radial Trail RH my last set was USA made, the set I bought this year to replace them are made in China. They are sure willing to let you keep believing they are American made.
I went out just now to check, and after much searching, I found the fine print "Made in China".
I have used them now for nearly 5000 miles and the quality seems to be at least as good as the set they replaced.(time will tell)
I think the buyer aught to be allowed to know the source of the products he buys, and it appears Carlisle is trying to evade clarity on this issue.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
In response to item #3...
I have bought Carlisle Radial Trail RH my last set was USA made...
I think the buyer aught to be allowed to know the source of the products he buys, and it appears Carlisle is trying to evade clarity on this issue.
Tire dealers may be clueless or even dishonest, but Carlisle's product page for their Radial Trail RH makes no mention of origin, explicitly or by implication. They are not being informative - just as most manufacturers of most consumer products do not list origin - but I see nothing evasive here. I'm no fan of Carlisle, but unfounded accusations don't seem warranted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #18

Alberta
Quote:
(4) Most trailer tires are C class and have a max psi of about 50 lbs. There are some D class 13" radial tires, but again they are made in China. Personally, I would prefer a D class tire if I were to inflate the tire to 50 lbs. thinking that our car tires are C class and 35psi max.
I suggest using the proper term load range rather than "class", to reduce confusion.

Car tires - assuming this means P-metric and euro-metric types - do not use these letter-labelled load ranges. Most euro-metric and almost all P-metric tires are Standard Load, which is roughly comparable to an ST tire's Load Range B (not C); Extra Load versions are available, which are roughly comparable to an ST tire's Load Range C. By "comparable", I mean roughly similar in load capacity for the same size, and having a similar required (and allowed) pressure for a given load.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Tire dealers may be clueless or even dishonest, but Carlisle's product page for their Radial Trail RH makes no mention of origin, explicitly or by implication. They are not being informative - just as most manufacturers of most consumer products do not list origin - but I see nothing evasive here. I'm no fan of Carlisle, but unfounded accusations don't seem warranted.
Carlisle spent years bragging up their Pennsylvania manufacturing plant and "Made in USA" as a selling point. Their sudden silence speaks volumes.
You are right...Unfounded accusations are unseemly,by either of us.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #20

Alberta
Floyd, they now manufacture less in the USA, and don't say "Made in the USA" so much. Is that strange? If I were making something and raised the price I would not take out full-page ads to say "Now higher prices", and I believe that most companies have more sense than that, as well. There's a huge difference between being evasive and just not drawing attention to information.

I realize that it is hidden deeply in the online FAQ, but Carlisle openly admits that they have a dozen facilities outside of the US, and that they manufacture in Asia (which could be China, or somewhere even cheaper):
Quote:
Where are Carlisle tires made?
Depending upon which Carlisle tire you select, the tire could have been made in either a U.S. factory or elsewhere. With 66 facilities owned and operated by Carlisle Companies, all but 12 are located in the United States. As you see from these numbers, we are an American company committed to American manufacturing and standards.

Carlisle tires manufactured in Asia are developed in factories owned and operated by Carlisle, under the supervision of American engineers and tested according to U.S. standards, unlike some other tire companies who simply contract out to the lowest bidding foreign factory.
If country of origin is important to a buyer, they can find the information... in tires, anyway.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Has anyone found any 13" trailer tires made in the USA or other than in China?

Any comments on the best 13" trailer tire to purchase? Don't want to open the flood gates to input, but this is not something that is well documented it seems.

Thank you.
I see you're in Washington, Walter.

I suggest you go to your Les Schwab dealer and take their advice per tires. That's where I've been buying all my tires for more than thirty years, including the thirteen inch ST's I have on my Trillium. Those folks will NOT steer you wrong.

Being a member of multiple trailer forums, I'm very familiar with the whole "China bomb" schtick that's out there and think it a bunch of hooey....but even if there was something to it:

I don't know where their stock 13" ST radials are made but doubt that location would make any difference whatsoever since all Les Schwab tires are built to very specific standards established by that company. And backed by a very comprehensive guarantee/service network available in hundreds of locations all over the West, from the smallest towns to the largest cities.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #22

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
Francesca,

Thank you for your suggestion.

As it turns out, I did check with Les Schwab and American Tire and all their 13" trailer tires are made in China as well.

I'll keep looking for a trailer tire made other than in China; I'm in no rush.

Walter
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #23

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Francesca,

Thank you for your suggestion.

As it turns out, I did check with Les Schwab and American Tire and all their 13" trailer tires are made in China as well.

I'll keep looking for a trailer tire made other than in China; I'm in no rush.

Walter
Isn't that kind of like trying to shop for a television make in America or a portable radio, etc.?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My curiosity raised, I check my Goodyear Marathons for country of manufacture. My first set was made in New Zealand. This set was made in China. It's interesting that a product that I imagine uses a fairly automated process has to be manufactured in China.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #25

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
13" Trailer tires - not made in China - where are you?

In my search for trailer tires, I did come across a brand that was not made in China but rather in Thailand. I forget the name of the tire, something like Momentum or Maxima. I did email the co but got no response and forgot about it.

Rather than just settling on any Chinese trailer tire, what is really needed is a good technical review of 13" trailer tires with field tests and owner reviews. That way, if we are stuck buying trailer tires from China, one could pick the best of the bunch, and one can make a more informed decision. I hope this review comes out before I need to purchase trailer tires again.

This whole subject is not irrelevant because not too long ago there was a huge recall of car tires made in China which were found to be defective and caused problems for people. I forget the exact brand . I would not buy a Chinese made tire for my car under any circumstances as long as their were other choices out there which fortunately there are. I don't know what the learning curve is for making quality tires or where the Chinese are on that curve at this point in time. It would be interesting to know when/what any car makers put Chinese made tires on their new vehicles as that might tell you that at least one entity has decided they are now ok.

So if anyone spots a good technical review of different brands of trailer tires I hope they will share it with us.

Thank you.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
That's what dealing with a reputable dealer like Les Schwab does for one, Walter. They do the specs for the product and stand behind it 100%. Country-of-origin doesn't matter. It's the end product that does.

Especially since ownership of Tire companies is so tangled, there's little hope that you'll ever find what you're looking for, which seems to be any tire with which there's no Chinese involvement. On that subject: I would be much surprised if that Thai-made tire you refer to is NOT made by a Chinese-owned company. Most such Thai-based companies are. Would that matter to you? Or is it only Chinese labor you're concerned about, management being O.K.?

In my opinion, ownership/quality control at the top is what matters most in the end.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #27

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
There have been probably as many American Made tire recalls and China Made or Japanese Made, etc.
I suggest going with a name brand and a good warranty and not worry about where it's made.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
From another forum:

Re: American made travel trailer tires
After having good luck with both US made TowMasters and Carlisles on my 30' Carri-Lite fifth-wheel, I had 2 blowouts and trailer damage with chinese made Carlisles. Last year, I converted from ST225/75R15 to LT225/75R16 Michelins (made in Canada). These are the same type of tire that my pickup has (only narrower) and I've not had any problems with LT tires on it. The conversion cost me about $2K and I consider it worth it.

My experience with trying to find 15" LT tires was that they are expensive and hard to find. That was the reason for going up to a 16".

Part of my investigation pointed to a general over rating on ST tires. Apparently because they are not rated to carry people, the manufacturers can rate them for up to 1000 pounds more load than a comparable LT tire.

Tags
tires