tires - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I've been wondering about the energy cost component. United States electricity costs have been getting high and projected to go higher with the shutting down of coal fired plants.

I've never been to a tire plant but I expect thete may be an energy component.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #42

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Per the Kumho 857:

Not sure where the "this isn't a trailer tire" comes from.
Francesa, I don't know where you are finding any statement that the Kumho Radial 857 is not a trailer tire. In the 33 posts before yours, this is the only reference to Kumho:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
The best 14" trailer tires are Kumho Radial 857, made in Korea, that I bought online from Tire Rack. These are not ST but sold in the US as trailer tires.
Tom quite clearly says that they are not "ST" (which is true); he does not say that they are not trailer tires.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #43

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
Tires - you really do need good ones

This tire thread may not have come up with perfect answers to our needs, but does emphasize how one needs to pay attention to them and check them regularly if they aren't as perfect as one would like.

During the summer, we travel frequently from Portland, OR to the WA coast in our 19' Class B rv built around a Ford E250 Econoline and have never have any real driving challenges until a week ago we were coming back from the coast and on this one return trip we had 4 consecutive driving challenges on the road, e.g. a tree branch across the driving lane, one lane closed on a steep uphill with broken cones in the roadway and the lane narrowed by cones inside the lane markers and a bicyclist pulling a trailer on the shoulder, all at the same time.

Fortunately, we had made arrangements to store our Trilly on the coast so we were not pulling the trailer at the time of all this. I certainly would not have been able to easily maneuver around traffic cones into the closed lane on a steep hill like I had to do,like others ahead and behind, if I had been pulling the Trilly. You just never know when your towing vehicle and trailer are going to be challenged to the max. It can pay off to be prepared and have everything in as good shape as possible.

The RV had US made, siped, Michelin XPS RIB, E load tires on it that had to be special ordered ( BTW, that the local tire store was not familiar with ) and they did their job. Being newbies, we didn't initially realize that the previous owners had the wrong tires on the rv when we bought it ( D load) until someone advised us to be sure to check the tire spec recommendations inside the driver door which we did and changed the tires soon afterwards .

We've been lucky and count our blessings!
georgewa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires