TireTraker Tire Monitoring System Review - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
I have a tire monitoring system and really enjoy the peace of mind and have had no trouble at all with them..... Metal valve stems are the recommended procedure.Very Interesting as the temperature goes up in the tire at say higher speeds the pressure also gets higher......
I have the TST monitoring system that is the older where you can't replace the batteries.their newer models have replaceable battery sensors.
This posters system is more expensive and may be better overall but i like any system that keeps track of pressure and temperature
Joe
RV Tire Systems

Old 06-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #16

Name: k
Trailer: currently shopping
Manitoba
fantastic

Old 06-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
As to failure of the stem screw on sensors, we've never had a stem fail or never have lost air due to a sensor seal failure. I would guess in 6 years and 100,000 or more miles of travel. We have driven 1000s of miles of dirt and heavily pot holed roads.

We love the temperature feature, it once warned us of a drawing disc brake.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #18

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Yet, there were thoes that several years ago said they add another point of failure and would not only work but were incapable of giving the temp.

Well, they do not add a point of failure because they screw on to the stem and open the schrader valve beneath it and seal the opening with a seal tight fitting and yes, they definitely give accurate temp readings.

We have been using them for years also without one problem.

I highly recommend them for both the tow vehicle (if it is old enough to not have the tire warning that the new models don't have) and for the camper.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I have the TST system and it's given me a "heads up" when a tire was losing air due to a slow leak (picked up a screw.) Amusing part is when I first installed it I set the alarm limits too tight - I had multiple "low pressure" alarms when it got cold outside.......DUH

I reset the alarm limits.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #20

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Stem screw on sensors can't provide accurate tire temperature reading by definition. Because they are not inside the tire.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Stem screw on sensors can't provide accurate tire temperature reading by definition. Because they are not inside the tire.
I've never seen that definition published.

The air temp inside the main body of the tire is going to be very close to the air temp in the stem. It's well mixed - do the math and you'll find that a 30 inch diameter tire spins at 17.6 revolutions per second when traveling at 60 mph. The sensor samples that same air since it opens the stem valve.

Just the opinion of a retired engineer - and I trust my TPMS; I don't need to know the exact temperature of every tire - just the one of the four that reads differently.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #22

SW Florida
Stem temperature is closer to the ambient air temperature rather than to inside tire temperature, especially when the vehicle is moving.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:09 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Stem temperature is closer to the ambient air temperature rather than to inside tire temperature, especially when the vehicle is moving.
How did you actually measure that difference? What instrumentation?

My stem sensors have run around 95 degrees when driving long hauls at 60 mph on a 70 degree day (with the trailer fully loaded.)

Old 06-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #24

SW Florida
No instrumentation involved, just a common sense. Steam on sensor can't sense a temperature inside the tire, the stem is cooled or heated by outside air or by the wheel. It measures outside the wheel temperature. 95 degrees could be induced by the brake drum or wheel rim heated by the drum.

Only inside the tire sensor could provide the accurate tire temperature.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
No instrumentation involved, just a common sense. Steam on sensor can't sense a temperature inside the tire, the stem is cooled or heated by outside air or by the wheel. It measures outside the wheel temperature. 95 degrees could be induced by the brake drum or wheel rim heated by the drum.

Only inside the tire sensor could provide the accurate tire temperature.
But the internal sensor isn't mounted on the tire. It's on the same rim as the stem.

It's not "common sense." It's basic physics and engineering in my opinion. Without instruments to refute mine I'll stay with that.

Common sense once had a lot of folks believing the world is flat and the sun revolved around the earth.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 PM   #26

SW Florida
Internal sensor is inside the tire. Screw on stem sensor is few inches outside the tire. That makes a big difference in the inside tire temperature sensing.

As for basic physics, any temperature sensor measures its own temperature. The temperature of inside tire sensor is much closer to inside tire temperature than temperature of screw on stem sensor.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Oregon
I'm ending the discussion with Sergey before a moderator jumps on me. Let the thread resume.........

Old 07-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Internal sensor is inside the tire. Screw on stem sensor is few inches outside the tire. That makes a big difference in the inside tire temperature sensing.

As for basic physics, any temperature sensor measures its own temperature. The temperature of inside tire sensor is much closer to inside tire temperature than temperature of screw on stem sensor.
I would also question the 'absolute' accuracy of temperature and maybe even pressure.

Absolute accuracy isn't necessary to provide value. The reality is that you can see pressure and temperature changes. When one tire is 20 degrees hotter than another you can recognize a problem, when you see pressure dropping compared to another.....

We've seen both situations. As suggested we had a tow vehicle without pressure sensing and installed the two extra sensors on the tow vehicle.

Our new tow vehicle has sensors inside the tires but only reports a fault and does not monitor temperature, they're not as good as the stem sensors we had.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote