To fiberglass or not To fiberglass - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Maybe I need to clarify this: The Burro floor is not "glassed" per se but IS coated with glass resin top and bottom.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I believe that's still current practice on Scamps as well. I didn't realize that Burros weren't a complete shell; I would presume that the UHauls are like the Burros. Is Casita the only one with a fiberglass bottom?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Is Casita the only one with a fiberglass bottom?

Quote:
Escape Trailer Facts & Specs

Two Piece Fiberglass Shell Construction
Strong lightweight construction. Easily repaired. Easy to clean. No roof seams. [b]All fiberglass bottom eliminates water leakage and dust penetration. Long lasting durability ensures value for your investment. All fiberglass is hand-layed for a stronger, consistent finish.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The Escape is fiberglass all around, but I think someone mentioned in an earlier topic that there are planned drain holes in the lower fiberglass layer.

Some Boler B1300s, and very rarely B1700s, have full fiberglass floors. Some B1300s with fiberglass floors apparently have a layer of plywood as well, while others are reported to be just fiberglass. My B1700 floor is plywood, with fiberglass only at the edge to bond it to the shell. 1979 trailer, no known rot today.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Our Burro floor was plywood fiberglassed on both sides and attached to hull on both sides. They attached the molded fiberglass cabinets with many, many screws. Over the years water seeped into those holes and the plywood rotted in between the fiberglass layers. When I pulled up the top layer of fiberglass, wood chips were enclosed between the layers. A complete floor replacement is what we did to repair it...off the frame, suspended egg, floor replacement.

I took 4 sheets of 4 x 8 marine grade plywood to a local fiberglass shop where they put three layers of fiberglass on each side. We cut the perimeter, sealed the perimeter with fiberglass resin, then glassed it in top side and bottom side. Now I am very careful when attaching things to the floor. The only "breach" in the fiberglass floor are the screws to hold it onto frame but there is a lot of 3M sealant in the holes, the drain for shower, and where we added wood braces to hold the 30 gallon water tank in place. The shower drain and propane line was drilled out larger than needed, re-fiberglassed and drilled out a bit smaller so that the complete edges are sealed. The water tank brace has butyl tape underneath it and sealant all around any screws.

I'm a bit paranoid about breaching the fiberglass floor from any angle.

D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote