Todays simple fix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1971
Todays simple fix

After removing the cabinet door above the fridge and installing a microwave, I was looking for a simple way to hold the micro in place while traveling. You are all familiar with the stay strap Scamp uses to hold the sreen door open. By simple moving snap from the door jamb, (or if you prefer, installing an additional snap) on the other side of the micro, I now use the screen door stay strap to hold the micro from sliding out during travel. While parked, you can still use it to hold the screen door when needed. I just make sure I close the screen door while traveling now. It doesn't seem to move around much at all.
I still need to add some decorative trim and plugs some screw holes, but that will come in time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2076.JPG  
Jerry71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Not sure, but a big bump may "unsnap" that microwave, I'd use another means.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #3

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Jerry -- are you looking to sell that Scamp cabinet door? I also have a 16' Scamp. It came with a microwave which I have removed, and now I'd like to put a cabinet door there (or maybe a cargo net).

Let me know.

SharonM.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Well Jim, I guess time will tell. But I am not so worried about bunps. Bumps have a tendency to move things up and down not side to side. I am more worried about the side to side movement like driveway approaches. However, when entering driveways you are moving at a snails pace so I don't think it will be a problem. But if it does have a tendancy to unsnap during travel, I'll be sure to let everyone know. And since I have really not altered anything, I can always go back to using the stay stap to just hold the screen door open. I figured it is worth a try.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonM View Post
Jerry -- are you looking to sell that Scamp cabinet door? I also have a 16' Scamp. It came with a microwave which I have removed, and now I'd like to put a cabinet door there (or maybe a cargo net).

Let me know.

SharonM.
Sharon, no, not at this time. I have removed some other upper cabinet doors since they seem to be more in the way than functional for things such as towels and bedding. I plan to keep them all together and when and if I sell the trailer, they will go with it. That way the new owners can put it back to the way it was originally.
Any cabinet shop or even a hobbiest could build you a simple door like these. Of course my hobby is wood working. Wish I lived closer, I could help you out.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #6

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Gotcha. I'd actually prefer a net there, which I think would work fine since there's a what? -- 2" or so drop down into the cabinet area? I just need to find one of those suckers.

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Make sure it also cannot slide backwards. Mine tends to want to slide into the cabinet (which is deeper than the microwave.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote