Toilet on wheels? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #1

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Okay trailerites, here's my latest dilema/challenge.
We have put our porta-potty where the fridge used to be, and I want to devise a way for it to slide out on a piece of plywood when we need to use it, and slide it back in when we don't. I went to LOWES and found one of those slide out wire baskets for kitchen shelves, but it was only 14 inches wide, and may not hold the weight of the potty filled with water. Not only that, they wanted 45 bucks for it! Do I need drawer rails and rollers, or is there a better idea? I like the wheels and legs that collapse on those ambulance beds or hearses, but they're a bit too big!!!!!!!!!
Donna D. is there a link to this particular problem?
Thanks a lot to all of you for putting up with my newbie questions...
Filbert
Attached Thumbnails
Windows_3.jpg  
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Filbert, I don't know of a particular topic that addresses this...but from what I understand the porta potty isn't heavy and is easy to slide wherever needed....I guess

If you're still determined, how about figuring out a way to mount to a piece of plywood and using chair casters...you could get those cheap or maybe from a desk chair that's being thrown out. Now, you'd have to figure out a way to keep the portapotty in it's place during traveling. Otherwise, I can just see it zooming all over the inside of the trailer when under tow.

On edit: guess it helps to look at the picture before replying...I see it is actually inside a cabinet, not on the floor inside the cabinet...so my idea won't work. I know there are heavy duty drawer slides available at big box stores....the main problem I see is the amount of pressure you're going to be applying to the bottom of the fiberglass cabinet when the "slide" is pulled out and someone is sitting on the throne. Might bust up the fiberglass good!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
There must be commercial/industrial extension drawer slides that could be used to support the weight of the potty plus a person......the potty could then be mounted on a piece of 3/4" plywood and the slides to that...it would just clear the floor of the counter.....the outer two parts of the slides could then be mounted on some substantial material and the mounting bolted all the way thru the trailer floor to support the back end of the mounts.......a 200+ lb. capacity should be nothing for some thing like that.....for the slides, I`d check out places that may have used ones........good luck!...Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
It looks like a hinge down door might be a solution. If it needs to support the whole weight use 1/2' or so. I think the hinge could be set up so the surface would be flat. You could even make it look like the refer door.
Thrift stores often have the skiers plastic exercise mats. They are nearly an 1/8" thick and somewhwt slipery. Cut to fit and the Porta Potty would slide in and out easily.

Just a thought - Good luck.
Dan M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #5

Name: Nita
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel Deluxe
Filbert,

In Yahoo Scampers Group Joy made a sliding tray underneath her bed for her porta potty and storage of other items. She made a u-shaped support from wood for the tray to rest on when fully extended. She places the support on the tray and slides back under the bed when not in use. To view her setup you must join the Yahoo Scampers Group, go to the Photo Albums section, and look for Joy's 2001 13 footer folder, photo #19.

Like Donna I would be concerned about the potty staying in place during travel. Adding a lip on the tray and a door, or at least a bungie cord, should eliminate the problem.

Good luck.
Nita
Nita F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Another possiblility is to use chair casters, like Donna said, or maybe a better idea, small, plain, 2 dollar dolly casters with rubber wheels available at HD. Get some plywood and make a platform for the P-P and use strips of wood to make a dual track, or trough or channel, whatever you want to call it, that remains inside the cabinet, for the wheels to roll within when pulling out the thing.

Of course that means something has to hold up the front end up once the potty is extended for the user.......oh, I don't know, maybe stack a couple bricks or something. No? Hmm. I'm usually a thinker but now I'm all blocked up. Others can step in and flush out alternatives but my thoughts are too lax to be of more help.

I wipe my hands of the whole movement.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Gypsy 1979
Hi Filbert, Here's a photo I found while surfing. It is in an old Siesta camper that a guy is fixing up in Halifax Can. Thought you might like it Bill
Attached Thumbnails
siesta60_009.jpg  
Bill Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi Filbert, Here's a photo I found while surfing. It is in an old Siesta camper that a guy is fixing up in Halifax Can. Thought you might like it Bill

OUCH! Looks more like a torture device...I'm still thinking about mine! Thanks!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Toilet on Wheels. Sounds like a job for Google Image . . .

There's this solution . . .
http://www.sewerhistory.org/images/pr/pr01.jpg

Or, if your the more modest type . . .
http://www.sewerhistory.org/images/pr/pr02.jpg

Yep, just a couple of porta-potties.

--P
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Danzer (Cargo Trailer converted to camper)
I did just that with new heavy duty hardware my boss was tossing out. Works great. The potty rolls beneath the bed and rolls out to the area just between the bed and counter space wife loved the idea.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:13 AM   #11

Quote:
I did just that with new heavy duty hardware my boss was tossing out. Works great. The potty rolls beneath the bed and rolls out to the area just between the bed and counter space wife loved the idea.
I was at LOWES yesterday and found these little furniture slides. You just peel and stick on whatever, and your whatever will glide to where you want it! I think I'll put those on the bottom of a piece of plywood, carpet the top, put the porta potty on top of the carpet and add a handle or two to the plywood to aid in the sliding of the toilet from the cubby it sits in. Of course I'll still need a heavy duty door lock on the cabinet so my potty doesn't slide out the side door on a sharp left turn somewhere!!!