Tongue box mounting - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Tongue box mounting

I'm thinking of buying a tongue box for my trailer. I've noticed people either use self tap screws or U bolts to mount their boxes. Does anyone have any thoughts as to which would work best? Thanks!

Where we’re going, we don’t need a plug-in.
multi-task is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I would say U bolts would be the best, or maybe some angle iron welded to the trailer for the box to set on, then bolt the box to the angle. I've had a problem finding square U bolts locally, had to get them from McMaster Carr.

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
I have mounted 3 of these and the answer depends on your trailer's frame. "I " Beam frames are harder to drill thus the clamps are used. Box frame or "C" channel can be easily drilled and screws utilized. The issue with screws is a smaller surface area for holding vs the clamps when used with the metal brackets give a larger surface holding area. Just my observations. You will have to use very large washers with metal screws and again the brackets installed upside down will give a larger surface for holding.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
I would add that you want to spend the extra money on stainless steel bolts, which ever way you go. You wouldn't believe how fast bolts rust on the tongue of a trailer.

SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
I built my own tongue box and used U bolts around the cross members that originally held the propane tank. (I took the tank off as the only gas appliance I had was the stove and I prefer to cook outside anyway). My box lid also opens to the side instead of the back-giving me better access. I also mounted a received on top of the box for a bike rack.
Dennis Clinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Name: Drew
Trailer: Trillium Outback - 2004
Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like I'll go with U bolts.

Where we’re going, we don’t need a plug-in.
multi-task is offline   Reply With Quote