Tongue boxes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tongue Box source

I just finished my propane furnace install and mounted the propane in a white tongue box.

Where did you get your box?

Thank you

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I always thought tongue boxes as the words to use when searching the web.. Guess what? Someone on the forums here, mentioned Dock Boxes!! wooohooo a whole group of boxes comes up. Typically used for marine applications.... Dock Boxes

This is the home page: http://www.dockitems.com/

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I just finished my propane furnace install and mounted the propane in a white tongue box.

Where did you get your box?

Thank you
Norm,
I got mine at ToolBoxes4Less ( Buyers Products 1701679 Polymer Trailer Tongue Toolbox White ). I just looked at the page again and the price has gone up since I bought mine.

Also, I'm not sure what happend to the other photo, but here it is. It shows the aluminum strapping that I used.
Attached Thumbnails
TongueBox-2.JPG  
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Norm,
I got mine at ToolBoxes4Less ( Buyers Products 1701679 Polymer Trailer Tongue Toolbox White ). I just looked at the page again and the price has gone up since I bought mine.

Also, I'm not sure what happend to the other photo, but here it is. It shows the aluminum strapping that I used.
On sale for $149 today

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Brian
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Ron F., what size are your propane bottles in the tongue box?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian m. View Post
Ron F., what size are your propane bottles in the tongue box?
Brian,
Two 11# tanks. They're shorter, but the same diameter as a 20# tank. I connected them with a 2-stage regulator that automatically switches over to the other tank when one tank runs out. I'd hoped to try out the new furnace this weekend in the White Mts, here in NH, but we had temperatures in the 50s at night and I never even fired up the furnace. Very unusual for this time of year.

Ron
Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #21

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We have two propane tanks on our Kodiak. I ALWAYS keep one tank turned off. I've had to go out in the middle of the night many times to change over to the full one to have both open and run out both in the middle of the night. Law of nature says you'll always run out in the middle of the night.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #22

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I ALWAYS keep one tank turned off.
Is that because your regulator doesn't switch automatically, or is there another reason?

Ron
Old 09-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #23

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
It's because my regulator DOES switch automatically. If I left it that way I'd empty both tanks and not have a full one to switch to IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. I've been up many times that way, some of those times there was no number 2 tank to switch to. Not nice to go from the wee hours to 9 am or so in cold weather to go get a tank refilled.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Ron,
I like the box set-up you did. And I too, switched out my tanks some time back for the same "half-height" propane tanks identical to the ones you have installed, but I have a few questions that maybe you could answer for me regarding your installation...

1.) Is the rear of the box designed to be "zero clearance" for installing it close to the trailer shell, or do you have to stand it off a bit (lid/hinge clearance to trailer shell when opened?)

2.) Did you have to raise it, or "step it up" in any way. I ask because it will be a bit wider than the configuration of the "A" of my trailer frame/tongue and I use a 2-bar WDH. I guess my question would be is there enough swing room to cinch up the levelling bars without them or the swing clamps hitting the box? I realize that if you don't have a WDH, then this may be a bit difficult one to answer.

Greg
Old 09-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #25

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye
I have an Escape 17 with their factory built tongue box. Lightweight fiberglass construction with LineX coating, rated at 100 lb load, & shaped to allow normal turning, etc. My Escape had the dual 6V option which puts the batteries on the rear bumper.
The Line-X must look great but it does add some weight. I suppose it makes the box a bit more durable with stuff banging around in there. How do you like it Jon?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #26

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye
I probably don't really need the electric jack, but it was a factory option. On my last trip I only stayed at most sites for a day or two & it helps hooking & unhooking the weight distribution bars. Since it was a 111 day trip - that is a lot of hookups! Or, it could be just because I'm lazy!
How mant times did you hook up and unhook in 111 days?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #27

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F
Norm,

Ron, Did you drill a couple of ventilation hole in the bottom of you box? Those Aluminum strips look like the seal the box back up. You really need some holes to let any leaked propane escape--but you probably know that. I thought I mention it. Propane is heavier than air and very dangerous is a close compartment. Do a image search on "propane boat explosion". A small amount can blow a boat apart-- usually at the deck joint.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #28

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg
It's because my regulator DOES switch automatically. If I left it that way I'd empty both tanks and not have a full one to switch to IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. I've been up many times that way, some of those times there was no number 2 tank to switch to. Not nice to go from the wee hours to 9 am or so in cold weather to go get a tank refilled.
I agree with you there. Boats have the same problem. Only if you run out, you could be hours or days from a source to replenish. A fish scale works well to weght tanks and estimate the amount remaining.