Tongue boxes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Tongue boxes

For those of you who carry your battery (s) in your tongue box, do you use a battery box also and, with or without, how do you secure the battery in place? Thinking about getting one for our Egg Camper in the spring. I'm assuming (never do that) that I'll have to remove the tongue battery bracket to make room for the tongue box due to the convex curve on the front of the trailer. Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is the one I put on my Egg Camper, room for 2 batteries and small propane bottle, real light and sturdy.TrailerStar® Trailer Tongue Toolbox - 1090781 | Tractor Supply Company
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
For those of you who carry your battery (s) in your tongue box, do you use a battery box also and, with or without, how do you secure the battery in place? Thinking about getting one for our Egg Camper in the spring. I'm assuming (never do that) that I'll have to remove the tongue battery bracket to make room for the tongue box due to the convex curve on the front of the trailer. Thanks
Bob,
I have a tongue box and a battery box on my EggCamper. I have two 11# propane tanks in the tongue box. I had to remove the two angle irons, which were factory installed to accomodate a small generator.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
TongueBox-1.JPG   TongueBox-2.JPG  

Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
You should use a battery box because it will prevent other items from accidentally touching the terminals. In addition the box will help secure the battery. I put a thin piece of plywood cut to fit on the bottom and then screwed the battery box bottom to the wood. This will keep you batteries from moving. I installed vents on rear,both sides and bottom for ventilation.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Bob -
Even though we just sold our Egg - this how (see pix) we had it configured and it worked great. I left battery in the tongue battery box for isolation / bolted some 2x4s to the angle iron on the tongue (for the genset) / used carriage bolts w/ washers to fasten tongue box to the 2x4s / mounted box w/ hinges forward so it would allow room to open the lid / room for 2" shank Master lock. I tried three other boxes and this one JUST fit, was light weight and held what I required. As you can see the box had room for 20# LP and the Honda EU2000i (snug) plus lots of other goodies. The box is $50 'Contico' at Menards only weighs 24# and very strong resin type plastic. It makes a great 'work top' for tinkering while on the road - it's like having your own 'work bench' on wheels ;-) It is also a super spot to put a solar panel...

Hope this is helpful.

Bill

P.S. The last photo is how 'older' egg campers looked without a tongue box to keep things tidy ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Camping.jpg   Front.jpg  

Tong Box.jpg   Pre-Egg.jpg