Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
When I hear about folks adding this kind of thing to their tug,
Attachment 60239

it gives me the willies because the jack is not designed to slide. And I think the bending he's seeing is what happened using this kind of mechanism.
Gezzz I have been looking at one of those and hadn't thought of that. But the one I was looking at only comes out about 6" back from the front of the tongue - it would have to come back over a foot from the front of tongue before it would come close to making contact with the tongue jack & then there is the flair out. hummmm might have to rethink that purchase.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Greg,
The coupler twisting or frame twist could have been caused by someone getting the trailer so crooked when backing twisted them, my brother did it to my boat trailer once, just the coupler though

Old 06-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrregP View Post
The sway bar ball looks like someone really gave it the business. The plate is warped and the bolts are bent. I'm starting to think maybe this was I'm some sort off accident. Now that I look closely, with the hitch at eye level from the tow vehicle perspective, it's twisted just a couple of degrees clockwise.
Well it is possible someone tried backing it up on a tight corner (Jack knife) with the anti sway bar attached to it. Not sure but that might account for some of the damage to the plate and bolts and perhaps the twisted tongue.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Jack Knifed....that's what i was trying to get across...thank you Carol
Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
I don't think it necessarily hit the jack. Just that of someone backed up out of alignment and that device would have pushed the hitch and tongue sideways. And with a jack that doesn't have a wheel that might have been enough to tweak the frame.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Looks like a single stage. Probably academic at the moment what with the kinked tubing. Maybe get a proper one after you can stick out your tongue straight.

jack
Old 06-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #21

California
I don't have any experience with jack knifed trailers so I wouldn't have thought of that. That makes sense too.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #22

California
More research. Thanks Jack!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrregP View Post
Currently I wouldn't know a two stage regulator from a UFO, so here's a pic

Attachment 60240
That looks like a single-stage regulator, but an RV should have a two-stage. The vent should face down, but it is horizontal. It looks like it connects directly to the tank, which means that the line attached to it must flex each time, but it looks like copper line which would be a bad idea - it should be a hose. I would start again with all new parts, properly installed; fortunately, all the parts are readily available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #24

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Trailer guy I go to once said the most common repair he has is people forget to flip the jack stand up before driving off, or don't get it locked in upright position. Pulling out while turning with jack stand down might have put that twist on the tongue frame.

I too have heard many tales of jackknife on backup with sway bar attached being a problem that leads to stuff getting bent.

Sort of related, those bolt on wheel jack kits tend to crush the frame, making it weaker and easier for tongue to bend.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #25

California
Brian, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I'll have to learn about regulators, but there's no rush since I don't have much use for propane at the moment. I've got a cooktop which I'm not planning to use yet, a furnace I don't need to use now, and a fridge that doesn't work anyway.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #26

California
Roger, pulling out with the stand down is the most likely explanation I've heard so far for the twisting. The sway bar mount was definitely pushed toward the trailer, so that was probably the jack-knife situation. I guess over thirty years many little incidents could have occurred Thanks for the tip about the bolt-on jacks. Maybe when I'm getting the new axle welded on I should weld on a new jack as well.
So much to learn! And so much friendly support! Thank you all one more time!
Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Gezzz I have been looking at one of those and hadn't thought of that. But the one I was looking at only comes out about 6" back from the front of the tongue - it would have to come back over a foot from the front of tongue before it would come close to making contact with the tongue jack & then there is the flair out. hummmm <_< might have to rethink that purchase.
I have one of those but didn't like using it with the side folding jack. Now that I have a center tongue jack I may be inclined to use.... or not.

I've gotten really good over 12 + years of backing my tug straight up to the tongue with the ball, maybe an inch or two forward or backward under the coupler.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #28

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I hitch up by Braille. Drive back until it hits, pull forward 6 inches. I have a 50% chance of getting it right.

The scamp is another story. Even Ray Charles could hook up a fifth wheel in one shot.