Tongue Tied... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Tongue Tied...

A couple of newb questions about tongue related things. First, what is this ball thingee on the side of the tongue?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-597074980.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	60235

Second, it appears that the passenger side frame member of the tongue is slightly twisted out at the bottom. I do not see any damage or twisting or cracking anywhere else. It seems to me it would take a fair amount of force to do this. So I can't imagine the tongue weight on the side mounted jack could have done it. Anyone know what might cause this? Is there a remedy? Here's a pic that kind of shows it, the angle of the jack really shows the twist:

Name:	image-3142683008.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	60236

Third question, I have searched and found threads about decking the tongue. And I've seen tongue toolboxes online. But would there be any problem with building a tongue box to hold the battery and the propane tank? I would assume it would need to be well ventilated. Would it need to have seperate compartments? Is this common practice? A search of e-trailer didn't turn up any "tongue boxes".

And last question, there is a hard copper propane line to the regulator that goes on the tank. (presently it is kinked and will need to be cut and extended) Would it be acceptable to put a bulkhead fitting in the trailer shell and use a flexible line to the regulator?
GrregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Those ball things are for sway control. See here for picture Pro Series Friction Sway Control Kit - Economy - by Draw-Tite, Reese and Hidden Hitch Pro Series Weight Distribution 83660
as far as the propane change that is fine and yes you can put both inside a tongue tool box. It appears someone might have pushed the trailer sideways to bend the attachment point. There is probably a hole somewhere for the tongue to go thru the frame. You will probably need a new one any way.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
The "thingy" ball is for attaching a sway control. I've never had one, never needed one.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
here is etrailer's tongue boxes
etrailer.com - Products tongue box
Old 06-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrregP View Post
Would it be acceptable to put a bulkhead fitting in the trailer shell and use a flexible line to the regulator?
I think either the U-Haul or Burro has done this, but I wouldn't! Why punch necessary holes in the shell? The regulator typically attaches at the propane tank (at least on my Scamp) and fittings go from there. Besides, I think having that stuff hanging off the front of a trailer on the shell is fugly. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #6

California
:facepalm

How I missed the tongue boxes I can't explain. I was probably on the wrong browser tab and searched the wrong site. I've got about a hundred tabs open. It seems all I do with my spare time since we got the scamp is research research research. (including many many hours reading these forums into the wee hours) My eyeballs hurt! On the plus side my new axle arrived and I found a friend to weld it on. And today I ordered three wheels and tires. Old wheel hubs were 4 bolt, new is 5.

Thanks for the info on the anti-sway bar. From what I've heard so far it doesn't sound like I'll need one, but I'll leave the ball there anyway. At least for now.

CPAHarley2008 I guess getting pushed sideways is the only explanation that makes any sense. At this point I'm planning to cut that jack off and put a bolt-on on the other side. I don't see any existing holes? Not sure what you meant.

Donna D. I agree with you. I had that thought at the kitchen table where I was remembering the propane line going through the shell with the electrical harness. But it doesn't obviously. Now I'm thinking of mounting a bulkhead connector in the side or back of a tongue box and using a flex line from there to the tank inside the box. I've never liked hard lines going to things that are going to be connected and disconnected. I've seen too many kinked, cracked, or broken copper lines. Not on trailers as this is my first, but in similar applications. And now that you've got me thinking on it, why not re-route the electrical harness and patch up that hole too?!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think either the U-Haul or Burro has done this, but I wouldn't! Why punch necessary holes in the shell? The regulator typically attaches at the propane tank (at least on my Scamp) and fittings go from there. Besides, I think having that stuff hanging off the front of a trailer on the shell is fugly. YMMV
On the UHaul the regulator is mounted to the shell and the copper line extends underneath and enters the interior through holes in the floor.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:

That's what he's asking. Your scamp has a bulkhead fitting with a hose going to the regulator, unless its different than any I've seen.

I put a dual automatic system in, so I have hoses from the tanks to a single regulator, to a hose going to the bulkhead fitting.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #9

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Is that a 2 stage regulator laying on the tongue with the sway bar ball?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
:
CPAHarley2008 I guess getting pushed sideways is the only explanation that makes any sense. At this point I'm planning to cut that jack off and put a bolt-on on the other side. I don't see any existing holes? Not sure what you meant.
Not Jim, but I suspect he may have been thinking this is a Scamp 13' but I think we may be looking at is a Scamp 16' is that correct?
If so there is no hole in the middle of the tongue on a 16' that Jim may be thinking of - there is though a 13' for installing a middle mount type tongue jack. 16' Scamps normally come with a swing up side mount tongue jacks. Looking at the photos it hard to say but the sway ball may actually be using the 4 holes that can be used for mounting a swing up side mount tongue jack - or least mine is mounted on that side in about that position. So if you are not planning on using the anti sway bar you may be able to use those holes to mount a new jack.

I have a wheel on my front jack on mine so its hard for me to imagine how hard of a push sideways the trailer would have to be in order to bend the frame with a stationary front jack. But I agree with Jim thats about the only way I could see that happening.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
: I've never liked hard lines going to things that are going to be connected and disconnected. I've seen too many kinked, cracked, or broken copper lines. !
Well looking at the photo the one on the trailer really is kinked up! Mine is flex from the regulator to the tank but the main coming out of the trailer is a hard line but from the point it comes out of the trailer it curves up and over slightly over to behind the tank to the regulator which is secured to an upright tank holder so its not subject to accidental hits or movement when removing the tank.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
EVERYTHING I'm seeing in Greg's picture looks exactly like my 1988 Scamp, sans battery and propane.

Name:	GreggsTongue.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	60241

When I hear about folks adding this kind of thing to their tug,

Name:	hitchhelper.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	60239

it gives me the willies because the jack is not designed to slide. And I think the bending he's seeing is what happened using this kind of mechanism.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #13

California
Currently I wouldn't know a two stage regulator from a UFO, so here's a pic

Name:	image-152663445.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	60240

And yes, this is a 16'. I see what you are referring to now.
The sway bar ball looks like someone really gave it the business. The plate is warped and the bolts are bent. I'm starting to think maybe this was I'm some sort off accident. Now that I look closely, with the hitch at eye level from the tow vehicle perspective, it's twisted just a couple of degrees clockwise. I can't really piece it together but it all seems to point something hitting the passenger side of the tongue. But I see no sign of a point of impact.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #14

California
Carol, that sounds like exactly the arrangement it should be. That's what I'll need to do.
Donna, you may have solved the mystery, it sure seems like a careless hitch-up with something like that could have done this. Fortunately nothing looks so out of whack as to worry me. I believe I have nearly the exact scamp that you have but mine is an '83. (Confirmed today when I found the vin. Just above the vin is a stamp that says 6•83, which I'm guessing is the manufacturing date.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
When I hear about folks adding this kind of thing to their tug,
Attachment 60239

it gives me the willies because the jack is not designed to slide. And I think the bending he's seeing is what happened using this kind of mechanism.
Gezzz I have been looking at one of those and hadn't thought of that. But the one I was looking at only comes out about 6" back from the front of the tongue - it would have to come back over a foot from the front of tongue before it would come close to making contact with the tongue jack & then there is the flair out. hummmm might have to rethink that purchase.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Greg,
The coupler twisting or frame twist could have been caused by someone getting the trailer so crooked when backing twisted them, my brother did it to my boat trailer once, just the coupler though
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
The sway bar ball looks like someone really gave it the business. The plate is warped and the bolts are bent. I'm starting to think maybe this was I'm some sort off accident. Now that I look closely, with the hitch at eye level from the tow vehicle perspective, it's twisted just a couple of degrees clockwise.
Well it is possible someone tried backing it up on a tight corner (Jack knife) with the anti sway bar attached to it. Not sure but that might account for some of the damage to the plate and bolts and perhaps the twisted tongue.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Jack Knifed....that's what i was trying to get across...thank you Carol
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #19

California
I don't think it necessarily hit the jack. Just that of someone backed up out of alignment and that device would have pushed the hitch and tongue sideways. And with a jack that doesn't have a wheel that might have been enough to tweak the frame.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #20

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Looks like a single stage. Probably academic at the moment what with the kinked tubing. Maybe get a proper one after you can stick out your tongue straight.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote