Top Bunk Safety Net / Feature for 13" Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
Hello. Love this site! Have gained a lot of knowledge as we prepare to buy a 13' Egg. We are looking at a Burro right now, but not sure what it will be eventually. But all of the ones we are looking at must have the two bunk beds at the front of the trailer. Have two young kids who may be fighting for the top bunk--but concerned my 6 year old who tosses alot at night will wind up on floor (not to mention my concern of my 12 year old being on the top bunk when it crashes ontop of my 6 year old if he's below).

Questions: Has anyone created a safety net or feature / device that may help with keeping any child on the top bunk? Also, most pictures I see of the bunks show the top bunk looking somewhat flimsy. Can anyone tell me what the average weight limit is for the top bunk? If no, then can anyone confess having slept on the top bunk as an adult (with a weight of at least 150 lbs or more)?

Thanks to all for any tips! ---Judy, the fretting Mom (of course)
Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I think most of the bunks are only rated at 80 lbs. or so. If you were to beef up the bunk, you'd want to make sure that the rest of the system were up to the task (hinges, attaching ledge, etc.)

OTOH, maybe this will solve the argument between the larger and smaller kid

Here is a photo of one rail idea made with dowels (and later painted). The metal posts are the stock set up, with the wood added. It's not from my Boler, although I think the owner might be a member of this forum (not sure of member name though). It's a family that fabulously fixed up a Boler - inside and out - and painted it canary yellow

Click image for larger version

Name:	boler_bunk_rail.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	18846
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Link to another Bunk Railing Mod

Link to totally rebuilt Bunk Bed

Link to commercially available bed rail

Link to a Bunk Rail construction Discussion

Hope these help.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Hi Carl

Check out the Escape website. Their gaucho bunks have a 200 pound capacity and are very sturdy.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I slept in the top bunk of my Scamp 13' for a couple of months -- I was about 180 lbs at the time and what happened was it began to sag lengthwise -- I reinforced it and it began to sag crosswise. At no time did it feel unsafe, just uncomfortable, but that literally took months.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
i've not slept on my top bunk, but i've laid up there for a few hours reading a book. I weigh about 220 lbs, and didn't have any fears. my dog even hopped up and he's about 60 lbs. as for a rail, previous owner took a piece of 10 mm rebar, bent it into a 'U' and put one end into each vertical support. it's been painted with chrome "like" paint so it almost looks stock.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I just purchased a rail from babies r us ( some as a rail that keeps a kid from rolling out of bed) that folds flat when not in use (I store it behind the front bunk as there seems to be a little "cavity" space in there when the top bunk folds down. The rail folds in an "L" pattern and I just set up the bunks....unzip the top bunk cover and slide the two legs in between the foam and the wood..it adjusts in the up or down possision so if he needs to hop down or I need to access that area it flips down and the lower bunk becomes a "cave" ....always a fun hiding spot for him to play in during the daytime. I don't have my camera handy and I'm heading out toorrow but I can take a photo if you need.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 77 Scamp
the "link to a commercially available bed rail" is similar to the one I used $25 .00

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote