Total Boler Restoration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Here is a link to our restoration. We have been plugging along for a few months, but now we are starting to make real progress. We are at the point of installing the new ensolite, then we can paint the interior, reinstall the cabinets, and finally paint our exterior. We are so close that we can taste it!

We will be keeping this updated the next couple of weeks as we reach completion. (but really, Is anyone ever done?)

http://picasaweb.google.com/mtn.fresh/BOLER

I have to say thank you to all. Your posts have given us great ideas and useful tips.
Jenny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Wow very nice work - I'm kinda new to fiberglass stuff - how did you re-do the corners of the window openings?

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Wow very nice work - I'm kinda new to fiberglass stuff - how did you re-do the corners of the window openings?

Ken J.

It was brand new to me also,my boyfriend lead the charge. But, it was easy after I got over the intimidation factor. You can see in the picture the cardboard taped over the corners. On the otherside was wax paper (used as a releasing agent) Layered the fiberclothe on the first coat. Then used the fiber mat for two or three more layers, being sure to overlap the original surface to get a good bond. We used laminating resin on the layers and finish resin on the outer surface. we evened things out with fiber bondo (short strand) also used to fill rivet and other small holes. Be sure to clean any resin drips with acetone as you go. It takes a while to sand off otherwise. We used the same method for adding depth to the kitchen cabinet. It was very tedious work, but well worth it!

We got awesome custom windows made from bucaneer windows
Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Wow Jenny! I can't wait to see more photos. Nice job!
Old 07-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Wow Jenny! I can't wait to see more photos. Nice job!

we have installed the interior and painted the exterior.

Interior-
We found ensolite locally in Fife, Wa at Foam Specialties. We got a 50ft roll and had plenty left over. we attached it with spray adhesive that comes out in web form, 3M makes a great product for the foam application. The seams were covered by 3m double stick tape. We used and exterior killz primer and Exterior latex for the first two coats. The second and third coats of paint we tried something a little different. We mixed glass micro spheres into the paint. it gives a bit better insulation factor and the texture on the foam is unchanged, but on the fiberglass wheel wells it has a sandy feel. The cabinets went in easily, we are still working on getting the rest of the cabinet doors up.

Exterior-
after all of the fiber and bondo work was complete, the egg was sanded to rough up the surface a bit. We prepped the shell with an Acetone wipe-down (i think we were suppose to use xylene, no problem detected.) The product we used to paint was Durabak Truck Bedliner in RED. We went with the roll on method, applied beautifully. One gallon cover the trailer one time. The three gallons we purchased was perfect for our 13ft boler. Windows and vents were then installed. I polished the belly band with a two part aluminum polish.

More to follow... thanks for looking, feel free to ask questions. We have learned quite a bit from this frame off restoration.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
We found ensolite locally in Fife, Wa at Foam Specialties. We got a 50ft roll and had plenty left over. we attached it with spray adhesive that comes out in web form, 3M makes a great product for the foam application.

... thanks for looking, feel free to ask questions.
Nice work!

Wish I knew about the ensolite availabilty before fixing mine, I couldn't find out much from the links here.

What did the ensolite cost? How wide is the roll and how much did you use and/or have left?

Photo 6 of 68 on your picasa slide show shows 3 stickers (plates) on the side near the door. Do you have them or close ups of them? Oddly enough the frame looks the same as on the boler American.

What year is it and where was it made?

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Wish I knew about the ensolite availabilty before fixing mine, I couldn't find out much from the links here.
Roy
Looks like the same company (IR Specialty Foam) we have on the Helpful-Links page: Ensolite
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 1977 Triple E Surfside
Looks terrific! I love the red!
Shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Looks like the same company (IR Specialty Foam) we have on the Helpful-Links page: Ensolite

you got it, Donna D! IR specialty foams is about ten miles from our house. Talk about luck.

The ensolite came in a roll that was about 54 inches wide and a minimum initial order of fifty feet. We had plenty. It seems to me that i paid about 500 bucks. i will double check my receipts when i get home tomorrow.

i do have the labels still. i will take some pictures of them tomorrow. We basically found this trailer in the bushes of a unsavory piece of property. We left some notes and bought it for 400 with a title. The owner knew nothing, he got it for a trade. We are just happy to have it and give it new life. It is a 1973

we love it. We are both firefighters and red was the obvious choice.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
You are right Donna,
I had a hard time figuring out which of the 8 ensolite products they had listed would be best or the other "ensolite" products they had listed.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
I just love the flashing light on the top of the Boler!!!

That is awesome!

Great job!

-yyyguy-
Joe Kesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Boler
Hi jenny, have we met? That looks exactly like the one I'm restoring with my GF. Hope to see you camping sometime really soon.
brady hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 1300
Hello Jenny, you're Boler looks great. I recently came across a very similar Boler, pictured below. It looks like I've got to do a total restoration similar to yours. I was wondering if you had any tips, like where did you start? How easily does the body come off? Was there alot of wiring issues? Please let me know. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
boler.jpg  
Bolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Here is a link to our restoration. We have been plugging along for a few months, but now we are starting to make real progress. We are at the point of installing the new ensolite, then we can paint the interior, reinstall the cabinets, and finally paint our exterior. We are so close that we can taste it!

We will be keeping this updated the next couple of weeks as we reach completion. (but really, Is anyone ever done?)

I have to say thank you to all. Your posts have given us great ideas and useful tips.
Totally love the reno's!!!!
we're thinking of trying to take off the nasty paint job & restoring the gel coat or repainting
can you explain for me (simply maybe with more pictures) your table/bed extension pic #93+ I can see what your doing but not how duh!!
where are the legs resting?on the floor or the step-up?
I would love more sleeping room!!!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Unfortunately Jenny and husband Brady haven't logged into FiberglassRV since 29th June 2009 - 07:46 PM . Too bad, I love their trailer and would love to hear about some of the places they've taken it since the total modification.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Quote:
Unfortunately Jenny and husband Brady haven't logged into FiberglassRV since 29th June 2009 - 07:46 PM . Too bad, I love their trailer and would love to hear about some of the places they've taken it since the total modification.
I'd like to know how stable it is with that tippy-toe stance!
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Actually, I was just looking at their pictures and saw a response from Jenny from May of 2010 so they're not that long gone. Perhaps we'll hear more.
sara maccalman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler