TOTAL MAKEOVER - includes pics - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 1987 Lil Bigfoot
Lightbulb

We are streetrodders and former owners of a 13 foot Scamp. My husband didn't want to attach huge mirrors to our '33 Plymouth Coupe, so reluctantly we sold the Scamp and bought a (dirty word) tent trailer. After traveling with several friends with Bolers, Scamps, Lil Bigfoot and ALWAYS being the last one to get their camp set up, we decided to go back to a little fiberglass. It helped making that decision to discover removeable McKesh mirrors that don't mark up the sides of the car.

Late this summer we found a 1987 Lil Bigfoot in BC and proceeded to buy it. We knew it had some problems, but the price was right and we are very capable of redoing. So--our odessy began.

The major problems were a mushy floor; a bad axle spindle from spinning a wheel bearing and my husband wanted electric brakes, which meant replacing the axle. The door did not fit properly and someone had put their shoulder into it to close it, breaking the window and damaging the door itself. A new one was over $600. There was a lot of water staining in the front kitchen corner. Friends had "re-papered" right over their old wall material using craft felt and that is what we had planned to do also.

After getting the trailer home, we pulled all the lower cabinets out to redo the floor and really got a closer look. The wood was still wet and pretty much rotten. Then we decided it would be easier to recover the walls if the upper cabinets were also removed. Hmmm! It was not only water stained but REALLY moldy. At one time the walls had been a dark blue, which we could not even imagine. It must have been like a cave, and the previous owners had covered the stains with cellophane and painted it. S0---- I pulled on one corner of the wall covering and before we knew it the walls were bare except for the foam insulation.

We measured and ordered the new axle, went to work sanding and repairing the fiberglass exterior, welded extra floor joists to the frame, even added bracing all the way out to the door threshold. Put new plywood floor down and re-glassed all the way around the new wood. My husband totally rebuilt the door using new RV skin material and replaced the window and painted the door. Looks like new. That's where we are at at the moment.

Next phase: PAINT! Then put the windows back in and start on the interior. We bought new vinyl for the floor. We've found a source for the same type of wall covering (just waiting for color samples) and we have decided to reface all of the cabinets with formica, put in a new counter top and replace the stove top with a new two burner. The refrigerator works fine, so we will just put a new panel in the door to match the cabinets.

One thing we are not sure of is A/C. Most of our friends have put small household A/C units in the rear windows, but we had thought about a Coleman Polar Cub unit. They weigh almost 100 lbs and we aren't sure if this will be a problem. Also the fiberglass isn't as thick as 'normal' trailers and we're not sure about this. Has anyone put one of these units in their trailer?

We are adding three new flourescent lights, stereo and some shelving over the end of the bed. Add pleated shades, and we found a cute little fold down table to go in the center of the bunk area. I will reupholster the seat cushions and depending on how it sleeps we may replace the bed cushions with a custom made innerspring mattress (we did this in our old Scamp).

So--once again our "little" project has turned into a major overhaul, but when it gets done it should be a little dream.

Please see my other Post for "Pictures of Total Makeover"

Bonnie and Roger Miller, Ephrata, WA
Bonnie and Roger in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Bonny and Roger: I speak streetrodder quite fluently and tow our Trillium with a much rodded 1937 Plymouth moredoor! (See attached avitar!)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hotrodders Unite!

Sounds like you're doing everything right and are going to have a perfect-for-you trailer when you're done.

I don't have an A/C either, but living and camping in the Pacific North Wet it's never been a problem...even campning in HOT central Oregon where the temperatures are over a 100 degrees during the day....and cools off rapidly at night. Fans and open windows keep the air moving enough to be comfortable.

Maybe instead of a roof-top A/C you'd consider a Fantastic Fan?? The problem I have with built in A/C and built in furnaces, is you're carrying them (and the weight) around even when you don't need them. If I was to put in a A/C, I'd consider following Lance's lead in putting it into a cabinet with a door to the outside.

Check out Lance's website here for more info: Blue Boler Mods

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #4

Thanks both of you for your comments on the A/C . We saw another trailer with the unit in the bottom of the closet and have considered doing that. We have a power vent (not a Fantastic Fan) and I am sure that wiould help, but I'm spoiled and I really think A/C is a must. Bonnie
Old 10-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you have crank-out windows, one of the Yahoo Scampers came up with a way to temporarily mount a standard, El Cheapo, 5KBTU a/c in the window -- He says it only takes him about five minutes to set up and another five to break down -- He carries the a/c in the bed of his pickup (but it could easily be set on the floor for travel).

Buddy's Air Conditioner
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #6

Quote:
If you have crank-out windows, one of the Yahoo Scampers came up with a way to temporarily mount a standard, El Cheapo, 5KBTU a/c in the window -- He says it only takes him about five minutes to set up and another five to break down -- He carries the a/c in the bed of his pickup (but it could easily be set on the floor for travel).

Buddy's Air Conditioner

Looks like a neat application, but unfortunately we have sliding windows. Thanks for the post. R n' B
Old 10-13-2006, 03:47 PM   #7

With my grandson's help, we figured out how to resize some pictures of the demolition of our 13 foot Lil Bigfoot. Next week we plan to start painting, then we can serious about putting things back together again.

Name:   ready_for_trip_home.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  20.6 KB

Name:   old__wet_floor.JPG
Views: 602
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:   sanding.JPG
Views: 710
Size:  29.8 KB

Name:   new_door_frame.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:   moldy_corner.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  21.0 KB
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2006, 05:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
you've taken on a great project..... the results will be great to see!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 13 ft Burro
Looks like you have your hobby for the winter. Hope all goes well. Your grandson helped with the pictures, will he be giving you a helping hand with the trailer as well? Wish we had a nice shop like that one. Cool!

Sherry

P.S. can't wait to see the results.
Ken & Sherry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I especially like your choice of screws.

Perhaps the idea is patentable -- something like: "Bonding of Wood to Steel via the Oxide of Iron Method"
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Looks like you have your hobby for the winter. Hope all goes well. Your grandson helped with the pictures, will he be giving you a helping hand with the trailer as well? Wish we had a nice shop like that one. Cool!

Sherry

P.S. can't wait to see the results.
We hope it doesn't take all winter. We have a lot of work to do on our 1933 Plymouth Coupe, too. Friends have asked us what color we are going to paint it and we jokingly say "grey primer, to match the car". It has been in primar going on 8 years now. The trailer will be Wimbledon White---soon! Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouraging words. We'll keep you posted.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
Hey Roger... What a great looking shop to work in. I am really envious. Enjoy and make sure that you keep the photos coming. I look every night to see what is happening out there.
Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Hey Roger... What a great looking shop to work in. I am really envious. Enjoy and make sure that you keep the photos coming. I look every night to see what is happening out there.

Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging words.

Just got the first couple of coats of paint on the trailer and had a few small runs on the curvy parts, so I am scuffing the whole thing down for another coat. Was very pleased that I didn't get any fish eyes (which fiberglass is prone to do) so I must have done a good job on the prep work.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #14

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Hi Roger, GREAT JOB! A question about the frame. In the picture there appears to be three pieces coming out from the frame to a fourth piece. Am I not thinking right or is this for strengthening the area at the door. If so is the picture backwards? Also do you any other pictures of the rear of the frame? Due to the molded in bumper I've never been able to see under mine. Thanks in advance. Keith
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
One thing we are not sure of is A/C. Most of our friends have put small household A/C units in the rear windows, but we had thought about a Coleman Polar Cub unit. They weigh almost 100 lbs and we aren't sure if this will be a problem. Also the fiberglass isn't as thick as 'normal' trailers and we're not sure about this. Has anyone put one of these units in their trailer?

About a year ago there was a 13' Bigfoot on Ebay that had a roof-mounted AC. I emailed the seller to ask about it. He said that he took the trailer to a trailer shop that called Bigfoot to ask about it before they installed it, and Bigfoot told them there was wooden framing that would reinforce the roof enough to hold the AC safely.

Now, I've never seen any such reinforcement in my Li'l Bigfoot, and since you gutted yours, you'd know if you saw any. I suspect that the shop was blowing smoke at the guy so they could make their sale.

The fellow did say that they'd never had any trouble with it and he knew up front I was not a potential buyer. I'd like to believe him, but 100lb is a lot up there on the roof

It occurs to me that with your trailer completely open and planning to rebuild that you are definitely in a position to ADD that framing for support if you wanted to.

I hope this helps a little, and I'm really hoping you'll bring the results to Bandon next July for us to admire! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=13185
Old 10-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #16

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...A question about the frame. In the picture there appears to be three pieces coming out from the frame to a fourth piece. Am I not thinking right or is this for strengthening the area at the door. If so is the picture backwards?...
I've never seen a Little Bigfoot frame before, but it looks to me like the photo shows the frame upside-down - notice that the step in the frame at the tongue end goes down in the photo, and is very likely up in use; also, the "wheelie wheels" (casters) are on the top (bottom in use) of the rear (close) end of the frame.

Also, it looks like the frame is notched for the axle tube, and the axle brackets then complete the frame rail. This is a clever way to get the frame low, which I had only seen before (in a moulded fiberglass travel trailer) on a U-Haul. How ironic that on some current Bigfoot models there are 4-inch-high spacers between the spring mounts and the frame to push the trailer higher.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Hi Roger, GREAT JOB! A question about the frame. In the picture there appears to be three pieces coming out from the frame to a fourth piece. Am I not thinking right or is this for strengthening the area at the door. If so is the picture backwards? Also do you any other pictures of the rear of the frame? Due to the molded in bumper I've never been able to see under mine. Thanks in advance. Keith

Keith, You are correct. The door area seemed weak so I decided to add reinforcment while we had it torn apart. And yes, the frame was laying upside down on the floor when I took the picture. I will try to get some more pictures of the back of the frame when I get it back up on the hoist. Roger

Name:   doorway_bracing.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  26.5 KB
Old 10-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #18

Quote:
About a year ago there was a 13' Bigfoot on Ebay that had a roof-mounted AC. I emailed the seller to ask about it. He said that he took the trailer to a trailer shop that called Bigfoot to ask about it before they installed it, and Bigfoot told them there was wooden framing that would reinforce the roof enough to hold the AC safely.

Now, I've never seen any such reinforcement in my Li'l Bigfoot, and since you gutted yours, you'd know if you saw any. I suspect that the shop was blowing smoke at the guy so they could make their sale.

The fellow did say that they'd never had any trouble with it and he knew up front I was not a potential buyer. I'd like to believe him, but 100lb is a lot up there on the roof

It occurs to me that with your trailer completely open and planning to rebuild that you are definitely in a position to ADD that framing for support if you wanted to.

I hope this helps a little, and I'm really hoping you'll bring the results to Bandon next July for us to admire! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=13185
The original reinforcment consisted of about a 1 inch frame all the way around the vent opening. I took half inch plywood, scored the back side of it in both directions so it would conform to the curve of the roof line, and glued it to the entire raised section of ceiling, then braced it with poles until the glue set. I placed the poles very firmly which pushed the roof up a little as it had a bit of a sag to it anyway. Seems to be holding, but we don't have the A/C unit in place as yet. This picture is the first half of the roof. I added another piece of plywood in front of this one to just about cover that whole section.Roger

Name:   roof_bracing.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  37.9 KB
Old 10-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
[quote]Keith, You are correct. The door area seemed weak so I decided to add reinforcment while we had it torn apart. And yes, the frame was laying upside down on the floor when I took the picture. I will try to get some more pictures of the back of the frame when I get it back up on the hoist. Roger
Attachment 5251

Thanks Roger and Brian, I understand the picture now!! The door area is weak! I had a channel iron welded across between the two frames which helped but the door still sags a bit. I like your bracing better. Keith
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks Roger and Brian, I understand the picture now!! The door area is weak! I had a channel iron welded across between the two frames which helped but the door still sags a bit. I like your bracing better. Keith

I added two extra "floor joists" besides the entry reinforcement. One between the closet and the kitchen sink area and the one you can see in the picture straight out from the door. It really makes a good solid feel to the floor. Roger