Touch up paint for green trillium exterior? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
Touch up paint for green trillium exterior?

Has anybody found a good color match for touching up the exterior of a 70s green Trillium 1300? We need to repaint the vent covers and touch up a few small areas...
William Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Registry
I restore pinballs and can tell you that when you touch up something that old, there is no color code that will get you a match. Colors fade, and the fade becomes the color.

For the vent covers just take them off and repaint entirely.

For spot repairs to the body, you will never 100% match a color such that it won't show. The oxidation in the paint you didn't touch up will have a different sheen, which will show as a different color in most if not all light.

Pinball guys usually paint the whole side or leave it. Spot touch ups always look like spot touchups. If they are touching up bare wood sometimes a spot touch is better but still looks like a touch up.

As far as color matches, I have gotten very good at this over the years, but can you tell me what kind of paint you'll be using so I can give proper advice?

Here is example when I say restore pinball.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/to...inbot-restored

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Curbfeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Is it gelcoat? If so marinas have colour match kits for repairs

Getting good at matching up our boler, first take a good compond to the area to remove all of the oxide and wax to see the real colour. You can ask for help I hired a boat expert to teach me how was so worth it ��

Boler is yellow so only needed yellow and brown colour tints for it. Made some with yellow and some with brown then use them to tint the actual mix. The brown is 6 table spoons to 3 drops and I only add a tiny amount of it to the working mix (a few drops) a little tiny bit goes a long ways and without the hardener it lasts a long time.

Small metal parts can be scanned and mixed in a almost perfect spray mix at some auto and paint stores as they are not gelcoat lol The prefilled spray cans are great but this would match the faded part and Curbfeeler could help out better on the non gelcoat parts as you want to match the trailer body

Still remember to buff area around the part to improve the quality of the colour match of the painted parts gelcoat oxides fast without the wax

Hope this helps
Old 07-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There a now cell phone apps for color matching paint. You take a photo and it is analyzed by the software. But do follow the directions to get great results. As these apps are frequently created by paint suppliers that means they are usually free!

Sherwin Williams has one. They do make excellent quality automotive paints and will custom mix it at certain automotive paint stores so perhaps that would be a good one to try. Don't worry about trying to match it to a named color in the house paint part of the app. What you are after is the RGB & LRV color value numbers. Those can be used to mix your specific paint.
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...orsnap-mobile/
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbfeeler View Post
I restore pinballs and can tell you that when you touch up something that old, there is no color code that will get you a match. Colors fade, and the fade becomes the color.
Here is example when I say restore pinball.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/to...inbot-restored
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Really enjoyed your pin resto Dan, EXLNT job. I've got a Big Shot that could use some work......
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, trillium