Towing Double With a Scamp 19 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Single Wheel Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I have thought about this a lot as it would be nice to have our bikes (total of 40lbs) on a tiny flatbed tag trailer behind our trailer.

The tag along trailer would be designed like the old Helite camper. It had a single wheel (caster type) and "two" connecting balls about 4' apart.

The tag trailer would weigh about 200LBs max and would have almost 0 tongue weight.
There should be no sway issues or back up problems.
Think it would work but it is just my theory.

Again... the tag trailer you are suggesting is too just too heavy and with bad physics all around.
Might want to read up on Single Wheel Trailers. By design they typically have 50% of total weight on the hitches. There are several supplies of them still out there.

#12 here: SWIVEL WHEEL
and here: The ultimate single wheel trailer system.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #16

California
"Can" isn't "Should"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy32303 View Post
The guy I bought my Scamp 19 from told me he use to tow a boat behind the scamp. He got pulled and since he did not have trailer brakes, was cited. So I have the hitch and plan to use it for a hitch/platform for a cooler but not for my boat! Guess it has been done and if you have brakes it can work. Bet it is not fun backing up!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Back to posts #2 & #3. Basically it's a bad idea, and it's illegal in about 22 states for some reason or another, including FL:
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: Coachmen Clipper 16B
Kansas
I have checked, the three states I would be towing in do allow double towing, two of the three even allow it behind bumper pull trailers but must have brakes on the last trailer.

People around here do it all the time to get their camper and boats to the lakes, of coarse with bigger trailers. I wanted to be the mini version, I don't need a big fifth wheel.

I will continue loading my ATV into the back of my truck.

Thanks for everyones responses!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #18

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Not a 5th wheel but, I posted this pic a couple of years ago. Have no idea where the guy was headed but probably one of the local lakes. He has local tags on all 3 vehicles. This is a fairly common sight on the roads here in Arkansas especially during warm weather camping/boating season. Saw this one in the local Lowes parking lot & took the pic with my phone. Back in the 1980s when I was 'young & foolish' (much younger & lots more foolish) I triple-towed a small 18' 'stickbuilt' trailer & a very light 14' flat-bottom boat to one of our lake/state parks an hour or so away from home. Longest hour I ever spent. Made it in one piece & back home but it was 'white knuckle' all the way there & back. Never did that again. I had a very heavy (& heavy duty) truck, & the camper outweighed the boat by a couple thousand pounds; nevertheless it was a tense trip & I 'learned' from it. Even today, I'm not comfortable behind or passing one of the 'triple tow' 18-wheelers on the highway, & some places out west the 3-trailer (trailer train??) rigs give me the heebie-jeebies...
Attached Thumbnails
2013-04-20_11-48-23_17.jpg  
Old 02-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
By design they typically have 50% of total weight on the hitches.
Some do Bob but I prefer the old Heilite design because of the benefit of a lighter tongue weight.
Attached Thumbnails
1955-Heilite-Single-Wheel-Tent-Trailer-.jpg   hei  wheel trailer.JPG  

Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #20

California
Both of those designs have the wheel at the back, meaning close to 50% tongue weight, albeit on two tongues. Now that bumpers are gone, newer ones use a "T" bar in a 2" receiver and wind up with all the weight in the center anyway. I have also seen a "T" bar adapter with two 1 7/8" balls to pull the example you show.
But I have never see it even suggested that single wheel trailers have a low tongue weight, simply because of how far back the wheel pivot point is located.

My Dad had one that we pulled around with a 1941 Oldsmobile coupe.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #21

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I looked into the swivel wheel cargo carrier a few years back. It attaches to the receiver in either one to three 2" receivers; depending on which one you purchase. It cannot wig-wag and is an extension to the unit. However, some states probably also consider it a triple tow. Also the swivel wheel site doesn't recommend its on product behind travel trailers under the Swivelwheel Towing Requirements section. Here is the site. The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #22

California
Here's a whole raft of them and the wheel is always waaaay back:
https://www.google.com/search?q=heil...4%3B1024%3B768
Old 02-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #23

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
If it was me, I would get a pickup truck that would allow the ATV to be put in the bed. I have both the truck & the ATV, but never bring the ATV camping.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 AM   #24

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium 1300 1973
British Columbia
Registry
I suspect small boat trailers tend to be more stable than egg trailers because of the longer distance from ball to axil (easier to back up too). There is nothing inherent in trailer behind trailer that makes it any less stable than a single trailer other than the additional complexity and that they are generally not designed with that in mind. In some countries they tow more than 2 trailers. To fully analyze trailer towing trailer stability involves the two disciplines "classical mechanics" or so it used to be called, and control system theory. All the variables end up in a large equation involving calculus and Laplace. Even for a person experienced in these disciplines, this could be a daunting task as there are so many variables.
If doing it is legal where you are, and If you are determined to do the experiment, then if you do it methodically and carefully, you will end up with a stable rig. On your side is that the second trailer is light. Some additional variables are:
A tow vehicle with less overhang behind its rear axil will help.
Increasing the tongue weight on both trailers from the standard 10% to perhaps 12% to 15% of the gross weight will help. That can be done by shifting load, extending the hitch on the trailers or moving the axils rearward. Shifting load is easiest of course, but lengthening the trailer A frame would be the most effective ( like the small boat trailer).
Keep all your tire pressures up so the tires have less lateral slop.
You might get the toe in on the toe vehicle checked as it is the only axil where toe is easily adjusted.

Doug L
Old 02-04-2015, 01:05 AM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
By the way, I really like Bob's single wheel idea.

Doug L
Old 02-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Sorry, Pappa T's idea

Doug L
Old 02-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #27

California
Credit not wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleverton View Post
By the way, I really like Bob's single wheel idea.
Doug L

Errr... Please don't credit me for any "Single wheel idea". I was posting to counter the idea that a single wheel trailer would not have a lot of tongue weight when, in fact, they have a very high tongue weight. OK for pulling behind your TV, but not as a double/triple tow.

It started as a post from MC1.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #28

California
From Post #24 "If doing it is legal where you are, and If you are determined to do the experiment, then if you do it methodically and carefully, you will end up with a stable rig."
------------------------------------------------------------------

1. That double/triple towing is illegal in at least 22 states suggests that there is some question about the safety of this practice.

2. Being "Safe" is a lot more than a hand full of math problems in the hands of someone that may not even be able to balance their checkbook.

3. Doing an "Experiment" on public highways to get things right somehow doesn't fly in my book.

4. Some combinations may never work and there is no guarantee that you will ever have a "safe" rig unless you also have a "Safe" driver.

5. Toe and Tow are two (to, too, 2) different words and no, trailer wheels don't have "tow-in"

Am eye picky today or what....? (LOL)

Tags
scamp