Towing Double With a Scamp 19 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Coachmen Clipper 16B
Kansas
Towing Double With a Scamp 19

I was wondering if it was possible to tow a small trailer behind the Scamp 19? I want to use my 4x6 utility trailer with my ATV on it, weight of the trailer is 250lbs and the ATV is 600lbs, tongue weight is 30-40lbs. The little trailer tows nice with no sway.

So has anyone done something similar?

I have checked into state laws where I tow and it is OK.
gwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Really bad idea.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
This is one of those ideas that is answered with "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should do something". Basically there is a reason why double tows aren't legal in all states, it's just not that good an idea for most RV users.

You apparently don't have the Scamp yet, but you would find that it doesn't lend itself to having another 1/2 of load tagged onto the back of everything. Towing and stopping this train could be a disaster especially, as I am sure, your utility trailer doesn't have any brakes of it's own. I don't think that you will find much support for your idea hereabouts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Yup, this one is going to be unanimous.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
Many moons ago, my Dad had a short semi trailer with a trailer behind it. I spent a zillion hours trying to learn to back it up. On the highway, the rig was prone to instability depending on how each unit was loaded. We played around with forcing the axil on the back trailer to have a warp that gave a small amount of toe-in and that made the whole rig noticeably more stable. If you do it start out really slowly and carefully. On your first time out induce a little sway at low speed and see if the sway dampens out or gets worse. If it gets worse it could be unmanageable at higher speeds.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Doug L
Old 02-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #6

While that offers some solutions to an existing problem, I think that the bigger issue is just tagging the extra trailer on behind a Scamp-19.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Don't know about Scamp, but on the Escape, that rear receiver is intended for a bike rack and limited to a couple hundred pounds. I suspect a utility trailer with an ATV on board would destroy the receiver and probably twist the Scamp frame if it ever started to sway.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #8

Kansas
Thanks for the info, I see people doing it with bigger fifth wheel RVs I just don't want to have to go bigger and was hoping this was an option.

You are right Bob Miller there are no brakes on the utility trailer but they could be added but I guess thats a moot point now.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #9

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleverton View Post
Many moons ago, my Dad had a short semi trailer with a trailer behind it. I spent a zillion hours trying to learn to back it up. On the highway, the rig was prone to instability depending on how each unit was loaded. We played around with forcing the axil on the back trailer to have a warp that gave a small amount of toe-in and that made the whole rig noticeably more stable. If you do it start out really slowly and carefully. On your first time out induce a little sway at low speed and see if the sway dampens out or gets worse. If it gets worse it could be unmanageable at higher speeds. Keep in mind that trailer sway is a consequence of the fact that when one wheel becomes more heavily loaded (for any reason), it will force the trailer to follow its path as opposed to the unloaded wheels path. If that path alters the weight distribution onto the other wheel, the other wheel becomes dominant and the cycle is repeated. Things that help are lowering center of gravity and a small amount of toe-in, and a moving the axil rearward.
Hey, what could go wrong?

Doug L

Doug L
Old 02-02-2015, 12:18 PM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
You'll have to look in each state or province you want to pull through.

You'll fine most places require the first trailer must be a fifth wheel

Sent remotely
EcoHeliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #11

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
I tried that once years ago with a little Scotty. The sway was so bad that it was like the tail wagging the dog.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 AM   #12

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Florida
The guy I bought my Scamp 19 from told me he use to tow a boat behind the scamp. He got pulled and since he did not have trailer brakes, was cited. So I have the hitch and plan to use it for a hitch/platform for a cooler but not for my boat! Guess it has been done and if you have brakes it can work. Bet it is not fun backing up!

Billy32303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #13
MC1

Ontario
A better way

I have thought about this a lot as it would be nice to have our bikes (total of 40lbs) on a tiny flatbed tag trailer behind our trailer.

The tag along trailer would be designed like the old Helite camper. It had a single wheel (caster type) and "two" connecting balls about 4' apart.

The tag trailer would weigh about 200LBs max and would have almost 0 tongue weight.
There should be no sway issues or back up problems.
Think it would work but it is just my theory.

Again... the tag trailer you are suggesting is too just too heavy and with bad physics all around.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:06 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
It is legal to double tow in CA with certain conditions. You have to have a commercial license and the first trailer has to be a 5th wheel with brakes.
I don't think I see but maybe 6 double tows a year and a few of them have had a sign in the back window stating "I'm legal". Always have to chuckle when I see that.
I have to agree with folks here, don't think a double set up would be a good idea with a molded trailer. Not because of two trailers but of the frame design being light weight and not made for anything more than a bike rack on the bumper. Now if someone had a new frame built for a resto and beefed it up with doubles in mind.......
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #15

Single Wheel Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I have thought about this a lot as it would be nice to have our bikes (total of 40lbs) on a tiny flatbed tag trailer behind our trailer.

The tag along trailer would be designed like the old Helite camper. It had a single wheel (caster type) and "two" connecting balls about 4' apart.

The tag trailer would weigh about 200LBs max and would have almost 0 tongue weight.
There should be no sway issues or back up problems.
Think it would work but it is just my theory.

Again... the tag trailer you are suggesting is too just too heavy and with bad physics all around.
Might want to read up on Single Wheel Trailers. By design they typically have 50% of total weight on the hitches. There are several supplies of them still out there.

#12 here: SWIVEL WHEEL
and here: The ultimate single wheel trailer system.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #16

"Can" isn't "Should"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy32303 View Post
The guy I bought my Scamp 19 from told me he use to tow a boat behind the scamp. He got pulled and since he did not have trailer brakes, was cited. So I have the hitch and plan to use it for a hitch/platform for a cooler but not for my boat! Guess it has been done and if you have brakes it can work. Bet it is not fun backing up!

Back to posts #2 & #3. Basically it's a bad idea, and it's illegal in about 22 states for some reason or another, including FL:
http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #17

Kansas
I have checked, the three states I would be towing in do allow double towing, two of the three even allow it behind bumper pull trailers but must have brakes on the last trailer.

People around here do it all the time to get their camper and boats to the lakes, of coarse with bigger trailers. I wanted to be the mini version, I don't need a big fifth wheel.

I will continue loading my ATV into the back of my truck.

Thanks for everyones responses!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #18

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Not a 5th wheel but, I posted this pic a couple of years ago. Have no idea where the guy was headed but probably one of the local lakes. He has local tags on all 3 vehicles. This is a fairly common sight on the roads here in Arkansas especially during warm weather camping/boating season. Saw this one in the local Lowes parking lot & took the pic with my phone. Back in the 1980s when I was 'young & foolish' (much younger & lots more foolish) I triple-towed a small 18' 'stickbuilt' trailer & a very light 14' flat-bottom boat to one of our lake/state parks an hour or so away from home. Longest hour I ever spent. Made it in one piece & back home but it was 'white knuckle' all the way there & back. Never did that again. I had a very heavy (& heavy duty) truck, & the camper outweighed the boat by a couple thousand pounds; nevertheless it was a tense trip & I 'learned' from it. Even today, I'm not comfortable behind or passing one of the 'triple tow' 18-wheelers on the highway, & some places out west the 3-trailer (trailer train??) rigs give me the heebie-jeebies...
Attached Thumbnails
2013-04-20_11-48-23_17.jpg  
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #19
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
By design they typically have 50% of total weight on the hitches.
Some do Bob but I prefer the old Heilite design because of the benefit of a lighter tongue weight.
Attached Thumbnails
1955-Heilite-Single-Wheel-Tent-Trailer-.jpg   hei  wheel trailer.JPG  

Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #20

Both of those designs have the wheel at the back, meaning close to 50% tongue weight, albeit on two tongues. Now that bumpers are gone, newer ones use a "T" bar in a 2" receiver and wind up with all the weight in the center anyway. I have also seen a "T" bar adapter with two 1 7/8" balls to pull the example you show.
But I have never see it even suggested that single wheel trailers have a low tongue weight, simply because of how far back the wheel pivot point is located.

My Dad had one that we pulled around with a 1941 Oldsmobile coupe.

Tags
scamp