towing mirrors 2016 Highlander - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #1

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
towing mirrors 2016 Highlander

We are now towing a 2016 Escape 17 B with a 2016 Toyota Highlander. I have been unable to find mirror extensions that are said to be appropriate for this TV. Does anyone have experience with mirrors for this make/model?

thanks, Howard and Kim
hrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
A lot of people are happy with Milenco Grand Aero towing mirrors, including me.

Enter Milenco in the Google site search and you will find multiple previous threads on the topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 7.20.32 PM.png  
Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Might want to check out Etrailer also.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I have tried several types. The mirrors that simply strap on vibrate too much. For several years I used McKesh mirrors and found them very helpful. I had no problems with them but worried about the support arm that rests on the lower door. If a side swipe occurs, the door damage could be major. So, now I use Milenco Grand Aero 3 and am very pleased. They attach only to the side view mirrors. Works great with our 2011 Toyota Sienna and 8' wide Bigfoot.

Madison County Covered Bridge, Iowa Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 03-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Another vote for Grand Aeros. At least when they are new, they stay on great (just got mine in October).
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I use to have the strap ons too, and as mentioned they vibrate a lot (but still allow you to see what behind).
I had a good deal on Tow-N-See mirrors (read: for free!) that attaches with succion cups. They don't vibrate and I like them. Only drawback is they cover part of your vehicle's mirror, and in very few occasions I had them move the vehicle's mirror when going by a large vehicle (ex: semi) do the the blast of air. They offer the flat or convex versions, I would recommend the convex version for both sides.
I never had one fall off, they are very secure when properly installed (very clean mirror).

If I had to buy mirrors I would certainly consider the Milenco, everybody seems to be happy with them.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
I also just bought a 2016 Highlander and have the Milenco mirrors. Seems to be a good choice.

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The answer for vibration is to use convex extension mirrors. Mine are the strap on type, can't find a name.
The fingers that engage the edges of the Highlander mirrors had to be trimmed thinner to fit between the housing and glass. The strap tightening system is like a ratchet over rubber pads. Very sturdy.
Adjust the extension mirrors to see cars following behind, and the car mirrors to watch the lanes beside you. Esp the blind spot over your left shoulder.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:46 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I bought a single one of the Milenco Aero mirrors (ebay) to try with my (former) 2008 HL. I liked it, except there was not enough space between my OEM mirror and its outer housing. I could get the Aero clamped into place, but not without moving the HL mirror out of position and rendering it useless. I wanted both (OEM and add-on) mirrors to work. No dice. Now, maybe the newer HL models have enough space? Mark, does your Aero push the vehicle's mirror out of position?

The CIPA 11950 strap-on mirrors worked ok for me with not much vibration, however with two downsides. One, on a 2-lane highway a passing truck would blow the mirrors flat against my vehicle... the wind push on the increased surface area overcomes the mirror assembly's resistance against pivoting inward. Two, after just a year or so the rubber straps decay and break, so I'd have to buy new ones all the time.

The McKesh style mirrors work well, but again 2 downsides. One, the upper part clamps over the window opening's rubber seal and eventually starts to tear it. Two, the nylon straps will vibrate and moan in the wind if you don't give them an extra twist.

I don't recall whether I had trouble with the Milenco when trucks passed in the other direction. Not sure if I had it attached long enough to find out.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #10

When I attach the Milenco mirrors to my RAV4 mirror housing, it often pushes the OEM mirror out of position. I just shift the Milencos from side to side until they are comfortable and then I push on the OEM mirror face to get it back in position ( makes a ratcheting sound but doesn't do any damage ). I can then adjust the OEM mirrors from inside with the remote buttons. I like that I can adjust the Milenco mirror and OEM mirrors independently.

I had Tow-N-See mirrors, but they vibrated quite a bit and their suction cup covered a portion of the OEM mirror. Also if I adjusted the OEM mirror it changed the view in the Tow-N-See mirrors because they were stuck to the OEM mirror. I tossed them in a bin in the back of the RAV4 and when I went to give them away a couple years later, the silver in the mirrors had deteriorated.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:10 PM   #11

Name: J
Trailer: Casita 16
Saskatchewan
Escape -Highlander tow combo

HI Howard and Kim
We will be picking up an Escape 17B this summer and towing it with a 2015 Highlander with tow package. Have you had any issues with this tug trailer combo such as trailer sway? Which hitch option do you have? Have you towed it in mountains?
John
Stoonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #12

I tow my Escape 17B with a Toyota RAV4 Sport V6 with tow package and Pro Series weight distribution hitch ( no sway bars ).
In eight years I have had to make a couple aggressive lane changes, I've encountered significant cross-winds and passed or been passed by hundreds of tractor-trailer units.
I am thinking about replacing the RAV with a Highlander or 4Runner, or maybe I'll just buy a new set of tires and a backup camera.
I have had every service done on schedule and no tow-related issues.
Most of my trips are to the interior of BC or to Alberta, through the Coast Mountains and Rockies.
Attached Thumbnails
Coqu Summit.jpg  
Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #13

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoonies View Post
HI Howard and Kim
We will be picking up an Escape 17B this summer and towing it with a 2015 Highlander with tow package. Have you had any issues with this tug trailer combo such as trailer sway? Which hitch option do you have? Have you towed it in mountains?
John
If I may comment (despite not being Howard or Kim)... you should have not problems. As Glenn pointed out, his Rav4 with same 3.5L engine but shorter wheelbase handles fine. And both his and my HL had enough power for the mountain drives. (For a long, steep grade into a stiff headwind I would slow to about 40 mph because I don't want to strain things; if someone wants to charge up that grade at 65 mph, they'd better buy a turbo or big V8... it's all about expectations and common sense.)

I did use an Andersen No-Sway WDH hitch for a year or two, only to smooth the ride quality as a concession to my wife and not because I felt a need for WD or sway control with the HL. Just make sure you have 10% to 13% of your trailer's weight on the hitch.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #14

Name: Alvin
Trailer: Fibrovan
Ontario
Towing mirrors

Does anyone know where I can purchase the milenco mirrors in Ontario?
alvinandlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #15

Oklahoma
If nothing else, you might check ebay.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #16

Name: Alvin
Trailer: Fibrovan
Ontario
Towing mirrors

Thanks Mike I will try that.
alvinandlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have the smaller/older Nissan Frontier ('99) 4 cyl pulling my 13' Scamp. I've never used extended mirrors- BUT- I DO use a "rearview" camera system. If you ever use one, you'll never be without it....and....unless you have a super narrow TV with a "Fat Albert" trailer, you most likely wont need extended mirrors.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I like CIPA custom fit mirrors.
I also made a very effective mirror for my Ford Escape from a bicycle mirror...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0048.JPG   DSCF0050.JPG  

DSCF0049.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #19

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Milenco / Highlander

Mike, the Milenco mirror brackets fit the Highlander fine and do not impead the native mirrors.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170323_170650055.jpg   IMG_20170323_170632283.jpg  

MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote