Traveling with our dog - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Oh I see your problem...that looks like a bird dog!

Yeah, when their instinct kicks in and they smell or see something- brain off, chase on.
I know a few guys that do field trials with birds dogs, and these dogs would never take off without permission.

I can have a deer, porcupine, bird, etc, near us, and though our dog would love to give chase, understands he cannot without being allowed. A great thing when doing wildlife photography.

I am a believer that any dog can be trained, no matter the age of disposition. There are a very few exceptions. Even though most owners love there dogs dearly, many just can't be bothered to put the effort in.

Case in point, a good friend who lives in an acreage had there 5 year old Aussie, a nice dog with next to no training, had me take care of it for a bit while they attended a family emergency. They said he did not heel or always come when called. After an hour working with him, I had him heeling fairly well without a lead, though not perfect yet. Recall did take a bit of time though, but did come.

I am not saying this to toot my horn about being good at training, just to say that it can be done.

By the way, "treaties" is not a command, just a confirmation that what they are doing is right.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #22

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
When we got our new sliding door between house and patio, it came with a screened slider. We hadn't had a screen door there before. With my low vision, within a few days, I ran full-tilt into the screen, knocking it from the doorway flat onto the patio. I darn near strained myself.

After much thought, I took some large, flat buttons (over 1" across) and used thin copper wire to wire a number of them on the outside of the screen at my own and husband's eye levels (making sure the buttons would clear the glass slider. I wired some at the dogs' eye level just in case.

I haven't run into the screen since--but I have had weird moments of wondering WHAT kind of horrible huge bugs were trying to get into the house--before I remember they're just buttons. And I do have to explain to the odd person why I have buttons "randomly" stuck to my screen door.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I darn near strained myself.
Sorry Kai, but I chuckled at your misery after reading this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #24

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Jim,

I do such stupid things sometimes, I laugh at myself once the shock wears off...glad to share the fun!

Kai
Old 07-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #25

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Yes training is the best approach, where most fall down is lacking consistent 100% reinforcement of the good and discouraging the bad behavior. Allowing one excited jump up greeting insures about 10 times you will have to correct that behavior. Not praising a good greeting makes the next time just a bit less likely to get the behavior you desire.

Katie isn't bad about trying to take off or slip out but Standard Schnauzers were bred as farm dogs for several hundred years, she has a rodent killing prey drive that is extremely strong. As in has been known to run 6 feet straight up a tree after a squirrel. Falls down, like the coyote running off a cliff.

At 10 1/2 years old still ran down squirrel that tried to raid the bird feeder. Despite the two trees and pergola and fence near by. If a squirrel ran by she will pursue if off lead. Can call her off but not easy to get her to leave the tree rat up the tree.

This is despite her agility training where most runs would start with her in a sit stay with other dogs and people all around. Or at outdoor resturants where she will lay down and stay. Dogs and people and food are not rodents!

Our next camping trip will be interesting we will have a 4 month old Schnauzer pup and Katie both, in a 13 ft. I'm thinking kennel cage will be going along. Katie can be trusted, Binka will chew a hole in the side of the camper or through the wood floor just because she can. Pup grabbed a 2 ft. chunk of 2x4 and tried to drag it inside to chew on.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #26

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
When we got our new sliding door between house and patio, it came with a screened slider. We hadn't had a screen door there before. With my low vision, within a few days, I ran full-tilt into the screen, knocking it from the doorway flat onto the patio. I darn near strained myself.
You should try walking through a plate glass office door. I did, and ended up with a bloody nose and a $500 bill for the glass. Fortunately it did not shatter enough to cause more serious damage. But the customer I was going to meet was surprised to see me in such dazed condition.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #27

Trailer: 12 ft Chariot (Stealth Egg) and 1987 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Sadie's ears look exactly like a wig in that shot. I don't think I would be able to resist putting sunglasses on the back of her head for a few pics.

My dogs are always trained for voice commands, hand signals, and specific sounds.

Pure bred or the occasional rescue doesn't matter in the end result.
DayTripper is offline   Reply With Quote